• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Logic

ifndef

free thinker
The first video is strong atheism, which is quite different than weak atheism. Strong atheism is asserting that there is no God, and most atheists do not associate themselves with this group. I am an atheist and I personally think it would be an ignorant statement to assert that there is no God; I also think it is ignorant to assert that there is a god. The truth is that nobody knows for certain, so to make a claim on one side or the other is foolish.

The reason I am an atheist is because there is no evidence that has been presented to warrant my belief in any god at all, let alone one particular god of one religion.

The second video does make some good points, but it is all about bashing, which really is besides the point of being an atheist or a believer.

It is important to note that atheists think very differently from one another, we have no group association, no common book to read from, no leaders... we are individuals. To take two videos that were made by atheists and package them up as "atheist logic videos" (especially when one is by a strong atheist) is misleading.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
The first video is strong atheism, which is quite different than weak atheism. Strong atheism is asserting that there is no God, and most atheists do not associate themselves with this group. I am an atheist and I personally think it would be an ignorant statement to assert that there is no God; I also think it is ignorant to assert that there is a god. The truth is that nobody knows for certain, so to make a claim on one side or the other is foolish.

Isn't that agnostic?

ifndef

free thinker
Isn't that agnostic?

Atheism and agnosticism can go hand in hand. You can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist. You can just claim to "not know" and ride the fence as far as do you believe or do you not.

Atheism is simply lacking the belief in a God. It has nothing to do with claiming or stating that there is no God. People that do such are called strong atheists simply for lack of a better word.

I reject all claims that there is a God based on lack of evidence, this makes me an atheist. I do not however claim that there is no god.

ifndef

free thinker
No, asserting anything with no proof is irrational. Claiming that there is or is not a god (or gods) are both irrational. One may be more irrational than the other, but they are both irrational. That is not an opinion.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm not going to argue about it. I'm sure enough there isn't a god, so I say there isn't one. I didn't watch either of the videos though, by the way, so don't think I do or don't agree with what they say, because I didn't watch them...

ifndef

free thinker
I'm not going to argue about it. I'm sure enough there isn't a god, so I say there isn't one. I didn't watch either of the videos though, by the way, so don't think I do or don't agree with what they say, because I didn't watch them...
I have no interest in arguing, just wanted to clarify the differences. I can say I am fairly confident there is no god, but I don't see how anyone can say it as a certainty.

Most atheists are weak atheists, only a small subset make such claims of certainty. I personally think it would be harder for people to want to hear the perspective of a strong atheist because they come across as closed-minded, just as strong theists do (people that assert that there is a god).

The first video was an attempt at a proof that there is no God, it would easily be disregarded by theists because it tries to use laws of the natural world to refute something that would lie outside of it. The second video just shows the evils and atrocities that were caused by religion. While it is good to know such things, it doesn't do anything for the argument of the existence of god.

If you (original poster) want videos showing logical perspectives of atheists, you should post videos of Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins as these views would align more with the average atheist.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I don't think any atheist videos are going to magically convert religious people though. And people here hate Richard Dawkins. I also haven't ever read or watched anything about him, but he sure seems to be hated by some people around here.

I try to just worry about myself and not talk about religion if I can avoid it. Sometimes I say what I think, but no one cares, so I usually try to refrain from doing so, as it will just make me frustrated when no one listens to me. It doesn't really matter. I don't think youtube videos ever convert people one way or the other.

Sorry if I'm coming across as grumpy. I'm very emotional lately.

ifndef

free thinker
I don't want to convert anyone on here. I think the purpose of posting such videos is really to just give another perspective. There is no reason to hate Richard Dawkins and I am sure that the people that do hate him do so because he criticizes major religions but this criticism needed and deserved.

Converting people is out of the question; open-mindedness and tolerance are what I would hope for.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Yeah, i hate his views. oh well, radicals come from anywhever and it is much easier to be an agodist than any other religion. You only need one belief. It is a scientific/Buddhist principle to have the least number of assumptions as possible. I just choose one less than they do.

leahrachelle

I like the way you put this

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es

The reason I am an atheist is because there is no evidence that has been presented to warrant my belief in any god at all, let alone one particular god of one religion.

The second video does make some good points, but it is all about bashing, which really is besides the point of being an atheist or a believer.

It is important to note that atheists think very differently from one another, we have no group association, no common book to read from, no leaders... we are individuals. To take two videos that were made by atheists and package them up as "atheist logic videos" (especially when one is by a strong atheist) is misleading.
I don't have access to YouTube here at work so I can't comment on the videos, but I can throw in my tuppence on the "strong" and "weak" atheism definitions.
I define myself as a strong atheist when it comes to the major Western monotheistic traditions: there not only is no omnipresent/omnibenevolent/omniscient God, the very concept is a logical impossibility.

I would describe myself as a "weak" atheist when it comes to a deistic or pantheistic description of a Creator in that the concept is not amendable to philosophical or scientific inquiry and remains outside the realm of investigation. So I'm a weak atheist when it comes to Spinoza's god, but a strong atheist concerning most Christian's God(s).