• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist inspiration.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I quite enjoy hearing other perspectives. I guess where I live religion is largely behind the scenes so I don’t think about it’s impact on people.
So if you wouldn’t mind, what made you leave religion if you did so?
And who are some atheists who you enjoy to listen to or watch for whatever reason.

I quite enjoyed Hitchens, though I fear he would have only lectured me on my religious background if we ever met randomly. But oh well. The thinking atheist podcast is fun. Aran Ra is cool too. Used to watch Thunderf00t way back in high school. Then he went a bit weirdly political. The Bible Reloaded was a good watch. As was Creationist Cat, back in the old days of YouTube skeptics dunking on creationists. Ahh. Such simpler times. (I’m suddenly realising I used to watch a ton of Atheists during my teen years. Maybe that’s why I pal around with you evil sinning unbelievers nowadays. ;))

I never started, so nothing made me leave :D

I actually went to a Christian school for the first 3 years of my education, although that basically meant some dude from the Church popping in a few times a week with a frog puppet and telling us about how kind Jesus was and that we should be kind too. Good Samaritan, love thy neighbour, be thankful for all of the good things in your life, etc. Then we'd sing some hymns about Jesus being kind and how we should be kind too. Sometimes we'd go to the church which was built in the 12th C so I quite liked that because it was pretty. Was more familiar with Greek gods before I went there from my books.

Other than the context was 'religious', I can't remember anything that the average Humanist could find fault with regarding the teachings, it wasn't exactly repent all ye sinners fire and brimstone.

My family wasn't religious, I just went to that school because it was at the end of my road. The only other state nearby was a secular school on the council estate and it wasn't very good.

When I asked my mum if God exists she said some people believe in Him, others don't: so I didn't.

And who are some atheists who you enjoy to listen to or watch for whatever reason.

Can't say there are any, as they tend to be very self-congratulatory, and very dull.

I went through a New Atheist phase once, but there's only so many times you can here exactly the same basic arguments without getting bored. Once you know these it's not like they introduce any profound insights or erudite, scholarly analysis on religion.

When I started reading a bit more history, it also became somewhat jarring to listen to atheists championing rationalism and scholarship while peddling the most rank historical myths as fact.

Actually, there is a good atheist blog about that: History for Atheists

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I didn't really join any religion - as soon as I was capable of questioning such things - but it took me quite a while to challenge religion completely - that being Christianity in my case. My parents didn't seem to insist I learnt anything religious particularly although my mother did try half-heartedly.

I don't search out atheist material in particular apart from perhaps reading the ones seemingly most controversial so as to be able to even discuss them (Four Horsemen, for example). I just prefer to look at material that has something new to say about the human condition or gives me a better understanding of the many things that I never studied as education in my youth. My earliest idle interest was towards philosophy, with Russell and Sartre perhaps being the two I read most. Later, it was more towards psychology, with anything that appealed mostly and that seemed to provide some new insight. Still more inclined to psychology than anything else. Animal behaviour has also interested me quite a bit.

Not really bothered about New Atheists or just plain old atheists. As I see it, atheists, of whatever variety, just have more of a voice these days and it seems to be that many of the religious are just screaming in terror at the prospect of their beliefs being questioned, defeated, or overtaken by more sensible attitudes.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Forgive my ignorance.
What’s “New Atheism?”
It sounds vaguely familiar

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I left the church when i was 14, driven away by the bigotry and spitefull hatred bestowed on a young teenager. My sin, i couldn't read from the bible. Some few months later dyslexia was diagnosed and remedial measures and techniques were put in place.

After the long slow haul reading my first book "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchett words became a revelation.

My next book was the Bible, the ulterior motive was that i was trying to find out what made christians (those i knew) so horrible. And its all there in the OT, discrimination, intolerance of difference, caution to those not as you are.

And now, who i like to listen too. Stephen Fry is a mine of information presented with joy and humour. Professor Brian Cox, makes leaning fun, he rarely speaks on religion but when he does he will bring "woo" into the conversation.

Influences are the authors Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

Some atheists make excellent comedians, David Baddiel, Ricky Gervais and Billy Connolly come to mind

Altfish

Veteran Member
I quite enjoy hearing other perspectives. I guess where I live religion is largely behind the scenes so I don’t think about it’s impact on people.

I quite enjoyed Hitchens, though I fear he would have only lectured me on my religious background if we ever met randomly. But oh well. The thinking atheist podcast is fun. Aran Ra is cool too. Used to watch Thunderf00t way back in high school. Then he went a bit weirdly political. The Bible Reloaded was a good watch. As was Creationist Cat, back in the old days of YouTube skeptics dunking on creationists. Ahh. Such simpler times. (I’m suddenly realising I used to watch a ton of Atheists during my teen years. Maybe that’s why I pal around with you evil sinning unbelievers nowadays. ;))
Lack of evidence and science.
Science explains things so much better,

Add in 9/11 and the pedophile priest/clergy cover ups and in these days the hypocrisy of claiming the high moral ground but then defending the likes of Trump

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I left the church when i was 14, driven away by the bigotry and spitefull hatred bestowed on a young teenager. My sin, i couldn't read from the bible. Some few months later dyslexia was diagnosed and remedial measures and techniques were put in place.

After the long slow haul reading my first book "The Colour of Magic" by Terry Pratchett words became a revelation.

My next book was the Bible, the ulterior motive was that i was trying to find out what made christians (those i knew) so horrible. And its all there in the OT, discrimination, intolerance of difference, caution to those not as you are.

And now, who i like to listen too. Stephen Fry is a mine of information presented with joy and humour. Professor Brian Cox, makes leaning fun, he rarely speaks on religion but when he does he will bring "woo" into the conversation.

Some atheists make excellent comedians, David Baddiel, Ricky Gervais and Billy Connolly come to mind
The great Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Pretty sure I was at their alter during my formative years. Brilliant authors. Need to do a reread soon.
Love Fry. Was raised on British comedy. I could listen to him read the Phone Book Lol

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't really join any religion - as soon as I was capable of questioning such things - but it took me quite a while to challenge religion completely - that being Christianity in my case. My parents didn't seem to insist I learnt anything religious particularly although my mother did try half-heartedly.

I don't search out atheist material in particular apart from perhaps reading the ones seemingly most controversial so as to be able to even discuss them (Four Horsemen, for example). I just prefer to look at material that has something new to say about the human condition or gives me a better understanding of the many things that I never studied as education in my youth. My earliest idle interest was towards philosophy, with Russell and Sartre perhaps being the two I read most. Later, it was more towards psychology, with anything that appealed mostly and that seemed to provide some new insight. Still more inclined to psychology than anything else. Animal behaviour has also interested me quite a bit.

Not really bothered about New Atheists or just plain old atheists. As I see it, atheists, of whatever variety, just have more of a voice these days and it seems to be that many of the religious are just screaming in terror at the prospect of their beliefs being questioned, defeated, or overtaken by more sensible attitudes.
What do you make of the likes of me, I wonder? I’m (vaguely) religious but I welcome challenge to my belief structure. I want it to be torn down. Sure I might react instinctively at first. But after contemplation I thank Atheism for keeping me honest.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The great Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams. Pretty sure I was at their alter during my formative years. Brilliant authors. Need to do a reread soon.
Love Fry. Was raised on British comedy. I could listen to him read the Phone Book Lol

I recently bought an audiobook of Sherlock Holmes stories read by Stephen Fry. Not the first time i have read/listened to Sherlock Holmes but most certainly the most enthralling.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What do you make of the likes of me, I wonder? I’m (vaguely) religious but I welcome challenge to my belief structure. I want it to be torn down. Sure I might react instinctively at first. But after contemplation I thank Atheism for keeping me honest.

I wouldn't know what it is like to be religious. I just had suspicions so early on and nothing I have come across has even motivated me into wanting such a belief. I just can't ignore the sheer number of religious beliefs such that my gambling nature (probability) tells me that in all likelihood none are correct - apart from the similar messages they might send out. I haven't come across any evidence for anything divine (so far), but I know that if I was willing to suspend my skepticism I might want to believe certain things, so I am rather vigilant in that direction. I do have a small amount of agnosticism as to some divine force but that is mostly due to my limitations as to scientific understanding. The central tenets of most religions don't make any sense to me. Buddhism (perhaps more philosophy than religion) is the nearest belief system that seems to me has the most worthwhile things to say and probably causing the least conflict.

It seems to me that many like myself just don't need religion, but I'm not one to criticise others who do feel otherwise, apart from how they or their beliefs affect others - as in homosexuality, equality for females, child indoctrination, etc. If there is little conflict then, for me, no bother, and we could all get along fine.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I left mostly because I found personal experience is not a reliable means to discern what is true. Belief is mostly based on personal experience. So with personal experience being unreliable, there's not a lot of reasons left to justify belief.

I find Dawkins reasonable. More reasonable in his books. Not so much his debates. I think there is a bit of theatrics he uses in his debates. Mostly I think to promote the sale of his books.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Wait...your first two books were Pratchett...and then the Bible?
Holy moly...

The only way you could improve on that is if you read Small Gods first, instead of Colour of Magic.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

You can thank atheism by leaving the capital A off the front...lol

ChristineM

Premium Member
Wait...your first two books were Pratchett...and then the Bible?
Holy moly...

The only way you could improve on that is if you read Small Gods first, instead of Colour of Magic.

Small gods is good, like most of TPs books. Could not stand the Long series. To be fair he was very ill and dying so didn't actually write much of them

And i have been told i shouldn't have read the bible like a book. The way to do it is read it in recommend bits and use a time machine to make it fit together.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I found people in Christian circles to be rather artificial. Pretending they love one another when they really don't, as much as pretending in a story that clearly never happened in reality.

Aside from being the default position everyone had at birth, atheists are a lot more genuine overall , and are less prone to fabrication and embellishment.

It's a breath of fresh air.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Small gods is good, like most of TPs books. Could not stand the Long series. To be fair he was very ill and dying so didn't actually write much of them

And i have been told i shouldn't have read the bible like a book. The way to do it is read it in recommend bits and use a time machine to make it fit together.
How’s that old joke go?
The fastest way to become an atheist is to read the Bible? Or something to that affect