• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheist dating a christian

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, most catholics (and christians) I've met insist that they'e separate =/.

Really? It's the opposite in my experience. Cathoolics consider themselvs Christian as do many non-Catholics. The only ones who seem opposed to calling Catholics Christian are the fanatical protestants/evangelicals.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Madhuri is right. It generally really ticks Catholics off when they are excluded from the term "Christian," especially since they consider their Church to be the ORIGINAL Christian church.

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
My wife of over 12 years is a believer (though not dogmatic about it), and we are doing well. I accompany her to church if she wants to go - I just have to interpret everything as symbolic mythology for any of it to make sense, but it hasn't been an issue for us.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
My wife's Catholic; I'm an atheist. We do okay. :)

I've always gotten the impression that rituals, exclusiveness, hostility towards those of differing beliefs, and fundamentalism were inherently part of being Catholic. I'm sure there's exceptions, but I've yet to see a moderate Catholic.
Hmm. I'd consider most of the Catholics I know to be moderate.

Mr. Hair

Renegade Cavalcade
Just popping by to agree with the handful of people that, yes, relationships between partners of different religions or none can most certainly work. Me and my fiance-of-three-and-a-half-years (henceforth known as "the Missus") come from different faiths, in fact I was the first person outside her church that she'd dated, and it's never ever been a problem for us.

Of course, I am effortlessly dashing and endlessly charming, so y'know, there's that. ;)

Well, I'm kinda runny and I talk a lot anyways. Close enough.

Last edited:
I have a friend who is a Muslim. He is married to a Catholic woman.... It has worked for them so far, so I say GO FOR IT!!!

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I would encourage this nice Catholic girl to break things off with you romantically. Why should she hook up with someone who does not share the faith that she places such importance on? For a person of strong religious convictions, that faith is an integral part of "who they are," and the basis for their decisions, life choices, plans, opinions, and actions - even actions that go against that belief system are held to the standard OF that belief system.

If you don't share such a basic element, one of you is going to have to compromise your values. Why go into a relationship that is going to require such an undermining of personal values over the long haul?

It's like a fault line running through your relationship. It is always going to be there, and just when you need your ground to be the most stable (life crises), the ground is liable to give way.

Obviously it seems its not such and intergral part of her personal beliefs to not date or consider a marriage with someone of a different faith or lack there of.

As long as they respect each other then there is no "fault line".

There is no reason I can see that if he loves the girl that because he's an athiest he cant be considerate and caring and encouraging to her in her faith.And even admiring her for her convictions.

And just because she is religious doesnt mean she cant admire and respect him and love him for what kind of person he is .

A wonderful person is a wonderful person period.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:
Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the level of responses I have gotten and Im happy to see that there are many examples of relationships like this working!

My general problem is that I could possibly forsee scenarios in the future in which her belief causes a rift in our relationship. I guess its a risk to take if I want to continue with her.

A lot christians to me are Bible cherry-pickers. They pick and choose what parts of the Bible they want to listen to. There are plenty of passages telling you not to date or associate with non-believers. So then why does she ignore the Bible? :p

One of the things I dislike about religion is the divisiveness. I've seen people reject one another in the past solely on the basis of religious belief and thought to myself "hah, how ridiculous - breaking up over non-existant deities." If I broke up with her for a reason like that it would make me a hypocrite, I think. Therefore, Im gonna try to make it work and see where it leads down the road.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I really appreciate the level of responses I have gotten and Im happy to see that there are many examples of relationships like this working!

My general problem is that I could possibly forsee scenarios in the future in which her belief causes a rift in our relationship. I guess its a risk to take if I want to continue with her.
It's probably not an issue three months into dating, but I think the area that usually has the most potential for conflict is deciding how to raise the kids. However, I think this is something that can (usually) be worked out with communication beforehand.

However, if marriage isn't even on your radar screen yet, you may freak her out by starting in about how you're going to raise your children together! :D

A lot christians to me are Bible cherry-pickers. They pick and choose what parts of the Bible they want to listen to. There are plenty of passages telling you not to date or associate with non-believers. So then why does she ignore the Bible? :p
There are plenty of passages that say lots of things. Others speak highly of love; maybe she just ranks them ahead of a literal interpretation of the passages you describe.

In any case, there are more options available to her than a strict literal interpretation of every single verse as unquestionably true, so I don't think you need to force that on her.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Being a rationalist is so fundamental to every aspect of my worldview, that I could not be with someone who didn't share this view - and, therefore, could not be with someone who was religious.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I had a one-year relationship with a devout Christian and it was not an issue for us. Reasons it worked, at least that long:

I loved her, and so loved all that made her, including her faith.
She believes that everyone has to find their own path, so did not mind my atheism.
We shared basic values of kindness, community and diversity, so were in sufficient accord not to argue about it. In fact we never argued about it.

Of course, we didn't marry or have kids :)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

One of the things I dislike about religion is the divisiveness. I've seen people reject one another in the past solely on the basis of religious belief and thought to myself "hah, how ridiculous - breaking up over non-existant deities." If I broke up with her for a reason like that it would make me a hypocrite, I think. Therefore, Im gonna try to make it work and see where it leads down the road.

But there is divisevness in many things.Not to even do with religion.There will ALWAYS be divisevness.

All people are different.Each individual is different from you.

Love

Dallas

Being a rationalist is so fundamental to every aspect of my worldview, that I could not be with someone who didn't share this view - and, therefore, could not be with someone who was religious.

Sounds limiting, do you not associated with anyone who is religious ?

Mr Cheese

I'd ignore what kathryn says....

Catholics are great in bed...

I say go for it.

Just because you have differing views on God doesn't mean things cant work out
It really is up to you guys...

Mr Cheese

Madhuri is right. It generally really ticks Catholics off when they are excluded from the term "Christian," especially since they consider their Church to be the ORIGINAL Christian church.

They would of course be wrong....

the Catholic church is of course an offshoot of the Orthodox churches...

you could argue Catholics are heretics.... :p

Other evidence:

Catholic make the sign of the cross incorrectly...

:p but thats being picky

Mr Cheese

dig deeper

You will find these people are a minority
although there are millions of these people, so it can be hard to see differently
Especially if you are in an area where such people live in large numbers

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member

Being religious doesn't always imply the irrational. I'm totally proof of this :D

WhatandWhy

I have been dating a hardcore christian for 13 months now. Her mother is a pastor at 3 Methodist' Churches. Things are working out well. There is nothing that I have found that would show that it could not/will not work out. I have nothing against Christians or any other religion as long as they respect my secular based life as I respect their faith based lives. Just thought that you would like to know that even though a few bumps may occur, it can work out as long as you put your heart into it.