• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism people (non-believers) should be invited by the believers for a peaceful dialogue

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is it international ?
It is designed to develop one to one personal contacts, friendship and peaceful dialogue with the Atheism people. It could be used anywhere in the world, I see no harm in it.
At the end of the invitation, one should give one's name and contact/phone number and give it to the invitee.
Regards

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't feel either atheist or theist describes me. Do I get to come?
I don't see any harm. When two individuals sit on a table and have a peaceful and friendly discussion, in one or series of such sittings, the differences alleviate. Like water keeps it level so ultimately they come on the same page or they could depart peacefully mutually disagreeing for co-existence.
Regards

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It is designed to develop one to one personal contacts, friendship and peaceful dialogue with the Atheism people. It could be used anywhere in the world, I see no harm in it.
At the end of the invitation, one should give one's name and contact/phone number and give it to the invitee.
Regards

Ah, maybe I misunderstood the OP - I'm happy to have a thread conversation here - even many threads. But I want to keep this on RF, not move to phone calls. Can you clarify your intention here?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
We, believers, should convince Atheism people with our reasonable and brilliant signs and arguments on one to one basis in and outside the Academia, over a cup of tea and or coffee, like thus:

Hello! Hello! Hello!

Peace be on you and your family.
Over a cup of hot coffee or tea in the Tim Hortons
Without the burden of “Burden of proof”
Let us compare our notes on:
“Does God exist or does not exist?”
Don’t worry; I will pay the bill of Tim Hortons.
Cordially invited to one to one discussion
Open to everybody, the Theists (the believers in God) of all denominations and the Atheists (the non-believers) of all hues and colors.
It will be a peaceful dialogue and without derision or ridicule.
Just call me, please:
I am, Skeptic of the Skeptic, a believer in God very naturally.​

I am confident we can convince them with peaceful dialogue .
Regards
imho, if you don't support the existence of God with evidence/reason then you won't be able to convince anyone.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
DawudTalut said:
Is it international ?
Ah, maybe I misunderstood the OP - I'm happy to have a thread conversation here - even many threads. But I want to keep this on RF, not move to phone calls. Can you clarify your intention here?
That suggestion was for the questioner in connection with the invitation one could extend to one's Atheist/Theist friends.
Here we remain on RF.
Regards

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Peaceful dialogue sounds like an excellent idea. Let me try.

Dear atheists,

Believe or disbelieve in whatever suits you. It's all fine by me.

We good?

Love,
Erebus

See, I don't think that works, since I might believe some seriously f***ed up things.
(Of course, I totally get and agree with the point you were making, just drilling in a bit more...)

I think there are important common ground concepts that people can have opinions on regardless of their religion. Those can provide common dialogue, and (lo and behold) you start seeing the commonalities instead of (just) the differences.

It's why the whole new atheism thing drives me a bit batty at times, whereas I would most definitely describe myself as a secularist. Little practical difference to my belief, but I think the latter provides more room for various beliefs that can co-exist.

Meh, anyways...just pissing around the edges, really. Like I said, I understand and agree with your point. Live and let live.

Pudding

Meeting random anonymous people from internet forum to discuss sensitive religious issues, face to face and in a peaceful manner?
What is the guarantee that it will be peaceful? Is it safe to do so?
I think that is not a good idea and can lead people into trouble.

If discussion in internet forum cannot convince non-believer, why discussion in real life face to face will suddenly magically be able to convince them?

Kirran

Premium Member
What people believe in terms of philosophy and metaphysics and theology strikes me as far less important, practically, than what they believe r.e. social and ethical issues. I don't care whether you believe in God or not, or a bunch of gods, or that gods exist only on Tuesday afternoons, as long as you'd accept your child when they come out to you as gay.

Erebus

See, I don't think that works, since I might believe some seriously f***ed up things.
(Of course, I totally get and agree with the point you were making, just drilling in a bit more...)

I think there are important common ground concepts that people can have opinions on regardless of their religion. Those can provide common dialogue, and (lo and behold) you start seeing the commonalities instead of (just) the differences.

It's why the whole new atheism thing drives me a bit batty at times, whereas I would most definitely describe myself as a secularist. Little practical difference to my belief, but I think the latter provides more room for various beliefs that can co-exist.

Meh, anyways...just pissing around the edges, really. Like I said, I understand and agree with your point. Live and let live.

You understood the point of the post, so that's the main thing :)

I completely understand where you're coming from here. There are certain expressions of atheism that do my nut in because they make me feel like I'm some kind of enemy. Doesn't matter if we agree that secularism is a good thing, that religion can be dangerous in the wrong hands or that quality education is of vital importance. I'm a theist and therefore wrong.

As you say, focusing more on the commonalities should show that the things we disagree on probably aren't as important when all's said and done.

Erebus

Is it a dialogue?
Regards

It can be.

In truth, I posted this because the OP struck me as saying "If we're polite, we might be able to convince them to stop being atheists." Apologies if I got the wrong idea there, but that's what it looked like.

Altfish

Veteran Member
My local Humanist group holds many meetings with people of Faith and also attend inter-Faith events.

ArtieE

Regards
How would it work? Would there be representatives of all the different religions and gods present and would they try to have a dialogue with each other so they can agree which god(s) exist and then try to convince the atheists that this god/these gods exist? Or would they try to do so separately?

ArtieE

Good question. The divide is actually nearly meaningless, or at least greatly exagerated in significance.
A long time ago in the sixties when I was a child we had religious education in school. We had a thick book describing all the different major and minor religions and stuff neutrally. Most of us were just left with the impression that there seems to be no limit to how many weird things people are capable of believing and doing. But as long as they didn't do any harm so what... the only problems occur when they try to impose their beliefs on people of other beliefs or no beliefs at all.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Some of the people who's opinions I respect most in this world are atheists. I think atheists and agnostics tend to be more intellectually honest, and their questions and opinions certainly help me to stay intellectually honest with myself. =)

I havn't noticed this correlation, at all.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
We, believers, should convince Atheism people with our reasonable and brilliant signs and arguments on one to one basis in and outside the Academia, over a cup of tea and or coffee, like thus:

Hello! Hello! Hello!

Peace be on you and your family.
Over a cup of hot coffee or tea in the Tim Hortons
Without the burden of “Burden of proof”
Let us compare our notes on:
“Does God exist or does not exist?”
Don’t worry; I will pay the bill of Tim Hortons.
Cordially invited to one to one discussion
Open to everybody, the Theists (the believers in God) of all denominations and the Atheists (the non-believers) of all hues and colors.
It will be a peaceful dialogue and without derision or ridicule.
Just call me, please:
I am, Skeptic of the Skeptic, a believer in God very naturally.​

I am confident we can convince them with peaceful dialogue .
Regards

Thanks, I'm not trying to convince atheists, of anything, though.