• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism people Argument, "I don't believe in Bigfoot." 2

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Is the above an "unspecified and unconsidered assertion about what one does or does not believe"*?

When a believer says "I believe in G-d", he has a specified Being in his mind, he may provide further details about Him if asked.
When a non-believer says in his response "I don't believe in God" that is the denial of that specific God mentioned in "I believe in G-d" only, not in general about all god/s believed by different people.

Regards
* one may like to read post #42, #59 from PureX and:
posts #62 from paarsurrey

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I still believe - despite the many frustrated comments I have received due to it:eek: - that everyone believes in god.
I believe in god? Since when? What god? How do you know I believe in a god but yet I myself adhere to no known understanding of the concept and do not acknowledge belief in such things.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Is the above an "unspecified and unconsidered assertion about what one does or does not believe"*?
No, it's quite specific.

When a believer says "I believe in G-d", he has a specified Being in his mind, he may provide further details about Him if asked.
When a non-believer says in his response "I don't believe in God" that is the denial of that specific God mentioned in "I believe in G-d" only, not in general about all god/s believed by different people.

Regards

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No offense, atheists, but if you don't know what you're not believing in, then yours is an unconsidered opinion.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Regards

Dammit, Jews and Hindus... you rascals managed to dodge such vapid threads about your beliefs, and now we atheists have to deal with them.

Oh well. I guess your turn will come again soon!

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree.

I still believe - despite the many frustrated comments I have received due to it:eek: - that everyone believes in god.

I believe everyone believes in fairies and dragons, despite the many frustrated comments I have received due to it. I also believe that neither makes me right nor makes the belief any less presumptuously irrational.

A Vestigial Mote

This is just a very strange belief for you to hold.

Also, you do realize that I could just as easily state that "I believe that no one really believes in God." and have just as much support for that belief as you do. That being "absolutely none." Which is why I would never hold such a ridiculous belief in the first place.

A Vestigial Mote

Regards
If someone walks up to me and says something like "My definition of God is 'nature.'", I'm not going to say I don't believe in nature.

But as soon as someone let's me know:
  • that their God is a "being" from some other realm of existence
  • OR can't be detected by any means
  • OR secretly rewards and punishes people while hiding in a place it is impossible for mortals to find
  • OR can't be found outside of mentions in a text
  • OR that to communicate with their god they have to call out into the void and hope for an answer that no one else can hear as a matter of intrinsic function of their "god"
then I am bound to let that person know that I don't believe them. It is quite simple.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

Speaking for myself, atheism isn't a belief. It's an observation.
Or, more precisely, a batch of observations. One main one is, "There is demonstrably no God that cares enough about what humans believe, do, or what happens to them to make a clear statement on the subject."
Tom
I don't believe you responded to this exact post that I posted on your last similar thread.
Please.
Regards

Tom

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
columbus said:
Speaking for myself, atheism isn't a belief. It's an observation.
Or, more precisely, a batch of observations. One main one is, "There is demonstrably no God that cares enough about what humans believe, do, or what happens to them to make a clear statement on the subject."
Tom
I don't believe you responded to this exact post that I posted on your last similar thread.
Please.
Regards

Tom
How did one observe it, please?
Regards

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Regards

If the context of a given conversation had set up which god the two are speaking of, the one who says god doesnr exist would just be reflecting off the statement of an existence of a specific god. So, if Im conversing and you said "god exists" Id assume you mean the abrahamic god, and so, when I say I dont believe, Im talking about the specific god you brought up.

Thats if we didnt bring any other gods into the conversation.

But if you asked me personally without my knowing your background and no other gods in the convo, Id just say I dont believe in deities and call it a day