• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Bunyip, are you unable to read? I did not disagree with you. Please reread what I wrote and try to comprehend it.
I did, it you accuse me of equivocating in a response that I'm afraid made very little sense to me. Lexicographers do not define words, they record usages. Dictionaries describe the English language, they do not define it. Languages are living, evolving things that lexicographers struggle to keep up with - you seem to have it the other way about.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
I did, it you accuse me of equivocating in a response that I'm afraid made very little sense to me. Lexicographers do not define words, they record usages. Dictionaries describe the English language, they do not define it. Languages are living, evolving things that lexicographers struggle to keep up with - you seem to have it the other way about.
Bunyip, I have worked for a dictionary publisher--Random House--and spent years doing work in lexicography, although that is not my core linguistic training. I am actually more of a lexicologist--one who studies word meanings, as opposed to crafts definitions. I know what I am talking about. More to the point, I know something about the extent of my ignorance. You do not know the extent of yours. Reread what I wrote. I was quite clear about what the word "define" means in the usage I used.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Bunyip, I have worked for a dictionary publisher--Random House--and spent years doing work in lexicography, although that is not my core linguistic training. I am actually more of a lexicologist--one who studies word meanings, as opposed to crafts definitions. I know what I am talking about. More to the point, I know something about the extent of my ignorance. You do not know the extent of yours. Reread what I wrote. I was quite clear about what the word "define" means in the usage I used.
Appealing to your own authority is not an argument. Lexicologists do not define words, as you said. Lexicographers record usages. It is a fundamental error. Perhaps re-read yourself. Dictionaries describe the English language. Lexicologists try to come up with an entry that describes the various usages as best as it can. It is not defining the term, it is describing the usage.

The point is that attacking a usage by comparing it to a dictionary definition is a barrier to meaningful communication, not a rational response.

The problem is not that he and I are arguing at cross purposes - it is that until you can get past attacking usages, there can be no meaningful argument.

Alitheia Aylso

Philosopher
I know that there is no way to be 100% sure that deity does or does not exist, therefore the default position would be Agnosticism and the belief in the most probable solution would be Atheism.

ArtieE

What if the word gfdhgfdhgfdh is a word in ancient Blurgblurh language, and it can be translated to reality. Does this mean that you haven't believed in reality, or that you haven't believe in the word's definition? Or, let's say it's translated to "Not God". You have managed to not believe in "Not God" your whole life.
I have not believed in absolutely everything that it is possible to believe in but I didn't know about.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I didn't mention those to avoid more confusion and to put the emphasis on atheism.
But that happens to also be a default position, however, it is the default theist position. Every baby is born not believing in, and not knowing if God does or does not exist. That makes them implicit theists as much as implicit atheists. In other words, implicit theist/atheist simultaneous. It's a superposition state.

Copernicus

Appealing to your own authority is not an argument. Lexicologists do not define words, as you said. Lexicographers record usages. It is a fundamental error. Perhaps re-read yourself. Dictionaries describe the English language. Lexicologists try to come up with an entry that describes the various usages as best as it can. It is not defining the term, it is describing the usage.
As I said, you do not know the extent of your ignorance. Lexicography and lexicology are not the same thing. They are two entirely different disciplines. And it might surprise you to know (unless you give it some thought) that lexicographers describe what they do as defining words. Everyone is in violent agreement with you that dictionary entries describe usage, except maybe prescriptive grammarians and the general public. So your continued insistence that I don't understand your point, or that I somehow disagree with it, is simply ludicrous. Clearly, you do not want to acknowledge that I agree to the point you are making, and I am quite puzzled as to why you seem to want to be in disagreement.

The point is that attacking a usage by comparing it to a dictionary definition is a barrier to meaningful communication, not a rational response.
I think it reasonable and rational to consult dictionaries, but not all dictionary entries are reasonable or good definitions. If you had ever attended a meeting of lexicographers and/or lexicologists, you would understand what goes into such judgments. Unfortunately, you seem to have got your back up over just about everything I have to say on the subject.

The problem is not that he and I are arguing at cross purposes - it is that until you can get past attacking usages, there can be no meaningful argument.
There is nothing wrong with attacking proposed definitions and descriptions of usage. Lexicographers and lexicologists do it all the time.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
But that happens to also be a default position, however, it is the default theist position. Every baby is born not believing in, and not knowing if God does or does not exist. That makes them implicit theists as much as implicit atheists. In other words, implicit theist/atheist simultaneous. It's a superposition state.
That doesn't work. The default to holding a belief is not holding it. The belief in question is that a God exists.

Copernicus

Yeah, so you keep saying. Given that you are so reduced to petty personal attack - I won't bother reading further. I can safely assume that there will be nothing of greater value.
As you wish. I hope you'll give some of the points I made more thought when you calm down, but I fear that much of it was lost in the heat of argument.

ArtieE

You can only be born an atheist and then become a theist by choice, not the other way around.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Can you re-write that without the double negatives?
If you do, you get - A theist believes that God exists.

Which is much more legible.
Which means that you had to move the negative from "don't believe" to "no god" part. Which you can't do when it comes to "don't believe in God"

A person believe/notbelieve in god/not-god.

What you're saying is that not-believe in not-god = believe in god. But not-believe in god is not equal to believe in not-god.

It's a double standard on the use of how you move the negation around.

If not-believe in no-god is the same as believe in god, then by the same principle not-believe in god is the same as believe in not-god.

OR

We can consider "not believe in no God" to be the implicit theism and "believe in God" to be the explicit theism. One is slightly different than the other, just the same way as "no belief in God" is supposedly different than "belief in no God".

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Which means that you had to move the negative from "don't believe" to "no god" part. Which you can't do when it comes to "don't believe in God"

A person believe/notbelieve in god/not-god.

What you're saying is that not-believe in not-god = believe in god. But not-believe in god is not equal to believe in not-god.

It's a double standard on the use of how you move the negation around.

If not-believe in no-god is the same as believe in god, then by the same principle not-believe in god is the same as believe in not-god.

OR

We can consider "not believe in no God" to be the implicit theism and "believe in God" to be the explicit theism. One is slightly different than the other, just the same way as "no belief in God" is supposedly different than "belief in no God".
**facepalm**

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
so?
Not trying to be jerk, but the fact of the matter is that you are only hurting yourself by ignoring definitions you dislike.
I liked the definitions I read in the older philosophy books better than the new Internet dictionaries that have become so popular.