• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Nobody contests this. When a person tells you he's an atheist you know this person is not a theist and doesn't believe in the existence of gods. Please feel free to ask him to clarify and explain in more detail.
Yes exactly. That way definitions are irrelevant. Then you understand the position as opposed to arguing about the label being applied to it.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK, just for the fun of it I'll play along.

All things fall into two sets: Things that have a belief in God and things that do not have a belief in God.
The latter, of course, would naturally contain all things with no beliefs at all -- like rocks.

"Weak atheist" is not a philosophical position, it's merely a descriptive term for all things without a belief in God. Now you may argue that this definition is so broad as to be practically useless, or you may argue that atheist does imply an epistemic position so would exclude non sentient things.
Fine. as Bunyip implied, as long as all parties understand each other's semantics there should be nothing impeding a productive discussion.

An American and a European can discuss the weather with no problem as long as they realise that one is using Fahrenheit and the other Celsius.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
OK, just for the fun of it I'll play along.

All things fall into two sets: Things that have a belief in God and things that do not have a belief in God.
The latter, of course, would naturally contain all things with no beliefs at all -- like rocks.

"Weak atheist" is not a philosophical position, it's merely a descriptive term for all things without a belief in God. Now you may argue that this definition is so broad as to be practically useless, or you may argue that atheist does imply an epistemic position so would exclude non sentient things.
Fine. as Bunyip implied, as long as all parties understand each other's semantics there should be nothing impeding a productive discussion.

An American and a European can discuss the weather with no problem as long as they realise that one is using Fahrenheit and the other Celsius.
Brilliant! And that one thing that keeps impeding productive discussion - arguing about what 'atheism means'.

ArtieE

No offence mate, but if atheism is the absence of belief in the existence of gods, how can the definition of God being applied be anything other than critical, rather than irrelevant?

Without a definition of God atheism has no meaning whatsoever.
If a person tells you he's an atheist you know the person is not a theist and doesn't believe in the existence of gods. For all I care you can spend the rest of your lives discussing your definition of "god".

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
If a person tells you he's an atheist you know the person is not a theist and doesn't believe in the existence of gods. For all I care you can spend the rest of your lives discussing your definition of "god".
I haven't posited one. Let alone wasted time on it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I am an atheist. I believe god doesn't exist.

ArtieE

Yes exactly. That way definitions are irrelevant. Then you understand the position as opposed to arguing about the label being applied to it.
And if we stopped defining and labeling things how would we communicate Bunyip if we have no definitions of what the words we use mean?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We've all made our own working definitions clear. How monumentally obtuse must we be to have drawn out a simple semantic discussion to two thousand posts?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
By explaining our positions with the words that we do have a mutual understanding of.
Other than 'God' and 'atheism' I think we have no difference in our understanding of what words mean is that correct? We should be able to manage that. What do you mean by 'God'?

ArtieE

Of course. Otherwise we don't know if we are talking about the same thing. And it would only take a minute, so what is the problem?
Let us all then agree that the definition of atheist is a person who is not a theist and doesn't believe gods exist. It will only take a minute.