• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is just another religion

Flappycat

Merlin said:
I made that chance remark in another thread and unleashed a quite vitriolic response from atheists seemingly horrified at being told they were 'religious'. But it is obvious to me that they have immense faith in their belief system.
Hah. I just think religion is an immense load of hokey. I'm one of the scoffers.

But to believe absolutely (with no proof) that NOTHING exists needs faith; and a very deep faith. Nobody can be absolutely sure that nothing supernatural exists, but some people believe with all their hearts that this is true. That is a religious belief.
I generally believe in things that I can put in my wallet and take to the bank. Where is your data? What are your observations? Do you have a real theory or, like everyone else, another load of religious pseudo-philosophy to bore me with?

They alway use the fact that there is no proof God exists as an argument in favour of Atheism as a religion. But there is no proof that God does not exist either, so where is the difference.
We just throw gods and spirits in with any number of ridiculous things that have a one in billions' chance of actually existing. There's a level of unlikelihood at which you simply snort and say "that's ridiculous nonsense."

It is also a bad bet. Theists have a win-lose scenario. Atheists have a lose-lose scenario.
Nah, I just cease to exist when my body dies. That's all I really ask for. Eternal afterlives are a devil's bargain. You just haven't grown up enough to realize why.

If someone believes, then they have a 50:50 chance of being right and finding 'salvation'.
I think you need to get a new abacus.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jensa said:
You have to remember not all atheists do that, though.

Boy, how many times have I been shewed out by an atheist for saying that about a priest. Talk about fair play.

~Victor

Scott1

Maize,
Beyond that I think you would have to look to the person's other beliefs to define the rest of their philosophy and answer the cohesion and meaning question.
Well... it is the lack of "other beliefs" that I find lacking.. IMO....

Flappycat provided a wonderful example (thank you) of what I am talking about....
I generally believe in things that I can put in my wallet and take to the bank. Where is your data? What are your observations? Do you have a real theory or, like everyone else, another load of religious pseudo-philosophy to bore me with?
... and yet NO atheist actually LIVES this way. Looking for data and theory on friendship or love? Aint gonna happen.... "geez, this box says it is poison, but I don't believe anything I can't test for myself....**gulp**"..... Aint gonna happen.... get me?

I define theology as the philosophy of religion.... so I guess what I find lacking is that I personally spend little time trying to "prove" God and more time trying to teach about how we live, love, and worship in relation to our faith.... and atheists spend most of their time just trying to "disprove" any notion of the metaphysical/supernatural with no philosophy to speak of (or I'm too stupid to see it)... but I'm ready when they are!

Scott

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Victor said:
Boy, how many times have I been shewed out by an atheist for saying that about a priest. Talk about fair play.

~Victor
And I've been attacked by religious people when I say something they don't agree with. One person or ten or twenty or a hundred don't represent an entire group; I can say that with certainty because of the "Christians" I grew up around.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Scott1 said:
Maize,
Well... it is the lack of "other beliefs" that I find lacking.. IMO....

Flappycat provided a wonderful example (thank you) of what I am talking about....
... and yet NO atheist actually LIVES this way. Looking for data and theory on friendship or love? Aint gonna happen.... "geez, this box says it is poison, but I don't believe anything I can't test for myself....**gulp**"..... Aint gonna happen.... get me?

I define theology as the philosophy of religion.... so I guess what I find lacking is that I personally spend little time trying to "prove" God and more time trying to teach about how we live, love, and worship in relation to our faith.... and atheists spend most of their time just trying to "disprove" any notion of the metaphysical/supernatural with no philosophy to speak of (or I'm too stupid to see it)... but I'm ready when they are!

Scott

I get what you're saying. I guess when you define your beliefs solely on what you do not believe in, you have to defend that and that means disproving that which you do not believe. Since you do not define yourself on what you do believe there is no room or need for discussing that. Again, which is why I think the term 'atheist' tells you nothing about the person's actual beliefs, only their lack of belief in one specific concept. Why one would focus on just that, I don't know. Maybe we need an atheist to explain it.

Scott1

Maize said:
Again, which is why I think the term 'atheist' tells you nothing about the person's actual beliefs, only their lack of belief in one specific concept.
Ahh.... I can always count on my wise friends to help... I really like this... thanks A.

Scott

Flappycat

The poisons were tested in a lab, dude. Gods and afterlives are not. As for human emotions, feh, I don't even have as much understanding of them as most people, and I really don't care.

Scott1

Flappycat said:
The poisons were tested in a lab, dude. Gods and afterlives are not. As for human emotions, feh, I don't even have as much understanding of them as most people, and I really don't care.
Thanks for your honesty and input.... dude.:)

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jensa said:
And I've been attacked by religious people when I say something they don't agree with. One person or ten or twenty or a hundred don't represent an entire group; I can say that with certainty because of the "Christians" I grew up around.
True....and I agree
~Victor

Scott1

Flappycat said:
I really think that you should get a new abacus.
Ok.... don't know what that means... but I but thank you anyway!

Nice quote.... tested this theory in a lab, did ya?:D

Flappycat

Atheism really doesn't require any amount of faith, though. I find it rather effortless to find religion, particularly theistic religion, utterly ludicrous. That, sir, is not faith.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Flappycat said:
Atheism really doesn't require any amount of faith, though. I find it rather effortless to find religion, particularly theistic religion, utterly ludicrous.
Except that has nothing to do with Atheism. :rolleyes:

Merlin

Malus01 said:
In fact, I actually agree with you..a belief system can involve other aspects than religion.
Do you take frubals?
Very kind. I am relatively new, so have not been offered them. It would be nice.

M

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Maize said:
Again, which is why I think the term 'atheist' tells you nothing about the person's actual beliefs, only their lack of belief in one specific concept. Why one would focus on just that, I don't know. Maybe we need an atheist to explain it.
Atheism is typically the consequence of two unrelated belief systems. One is a mode of thought that embraces a teleology without Deity - as perhaps epitomized by Daoism.

The second belief system is naturalism or, more correctly, ontological naturalism (as opposed to methodological naturalism). This system views all that exists as a tapestry of natural processes no matter how incompletely understood, sees morality and ethics as evolved human constructs (judgements), and meaning as a posteriori narrative.