• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is a RELIGION

Matheist

http://animist.net
So you think athiests show reverence or adoration for a deity?

Yes.

Unless, you can bring fact, proofs and evidences.

The definition of God

Definition of GOD

1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: such as

a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe

b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind​

2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship

specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

Greek gods of love and war​

3 : a person or thing of supreme value

had photos of baseball's gods pinned to his bedroom wall​

4 : a powerful ruler

The definition of God from the Quran

Have you seen the one who has taken his ego as his GOD? (45:23/24:43)

They took their religious scholars and their monks and the Christ, son of Mary, as their Lords besides God while they were ordered to only serve the One Nature's god. (9:31)

Matheist

Assertion is not a philosophical argument.

It is an argument for two reasons:

1. Atheism has nothing to do with Natural Order or Nature, and Nature is always LOGICAL in EVERYTHING it does. Nature is about Self-preservation. Claiming Atheism is not a Religion (Nature) is an argument.

2. Atheism is the disbelief (oppose / anti) of God, or lack of belief in a world that everything has its LordLaw of Cause & Effect. Thus it is a choice (argument) because not choosing in the reality of natural order (cause and effect) IS A CHOICE. That is an argument.
Not choosing, IS A CHOICE.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If atheism were a belief it might be considered a religion. However it is the absence of belief and is asserting that God's do not exist as a matter of strong inductive probability.

Its a matter of atheist reasoning from observance that God's are noneso observed in reality.

Its based on objective reasoning on the observance of independent reality and concludes that there is no reason to accept that any God's are real.

Many religions assert that God is knowably evident based on observance of reality. Atheism is the contrary opposite of religion. Atheism asserts that there are none knowable Gods based on what is sensed in reality.

Atheism is not a practice or a faith. It is that people are absolutely sure that there is no God's whatsoever. They dont practice atheism, they simply do not consider the matter relevant and live their lives according to that. Theres nothing to make practice of in atheism.

You are trying to say that atheism is a faith and a practice i gather. It is simply a stance that atheists are very certain in their know that God's are not real.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
We are living in the world or reality where everything has its causes and effects. Everything has its LordLaw. There is no coincidence.

Interesting assertion. It goes beyond my understanding of physics to argue the point, but suffice to say that's not as simple a thing to 'know' as you're suggesting.

Thus if you claim Atheism is not a Religion, then their belief, doctrine and way of life must meet the conditions of the Law of Nature.

Leaving aside my issue with your first assertion, that's simply not true. Words have meanings, and these are assigned by people. They vary from language to language because of this. They are not related to 'Laws'.

For something to be 'not religious' it needs only to lack the qualities we identify as 'religious'. Ergo atheism...in and of itself...is not religious. Nor is theism, incidentally.

Nature is the only thing that is NOT RELIGIOUS. Everything else is Religious Belief (ie. against Natural Order).

Nope. Redefine the word and use capital letters as much as you like, but that's simply an inaccurate statement.

Matheist

If atheism were a belief it might be considered a religion. However it is the absence of belief and is asserting that God's do not exist as a matter of strong inductive probability.

Its a matter of atheist reasoning from observance that God's are noneso observed in reality.

Its based on objective reasoning on the observance of independent reality and concludes that there is no reason to accept that any God's are real.

Many religions assert that God is knowably evident based on observance of reality. Atheism is the contrary opposite of religion. Atheism asserts that there are none knowable Gods based on what is sensed in reality.

Atheism is not a practice or a faith. It is that people are absolutely sure that there is no God's whatsoever. They dont practice atheism, they simply do not consider the matter relevant and live their lives according to that. Theres nothing to make practice of in atheism.

You are trying to say that atheism is a faith and a practice i gather. It is simply a stance that atheists are very certain in their know that God's are not real.

There is Nature's God and it is in the American Constitution. Same thing with the Quran, God is The LordLaw of the Universe.

Allah is the LordLaw of the Universe (LordLaw of Nature). (Quran 1:2)

Accordingly, the idea of God came from Nature and Natural Order.

Now,

Argument: Consequence is NO COINCIDENCE. (is God)

So Atheism is the lack of belief (without belief) in the LordLaw of Cause & Effect?

Matheist

Interesting assertion. It goes beyond my understanding of physics to argue the point, but suffice to say that's not as simple a thing to 'know' as you're suggesting.

Leaving aside my issue with your first assertion, that's simply not true. Words have meanings, and these are assigned by people. They vary from language to language because of this. They are not related to 'Laws'.

For something to be 'not religious' it needs only to lack the qualities we identify as 'religious'. Ergo atheism...in and of itself...is not religious. Nor is theism, incidentally.

Nope. Redefine the word and use capital letters as much as you like, but that's simply an inaccurate statement.

"BRANDING" is not an argument, and certainly not the Truth. Try something better, at least with all the terms define clearly for your counterargument.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
The official definition of Atheism

atheism. n. disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Conclusion

1. It is a religious claim, and not rooted in science, logic, philosophy etc.

2. The claim for belief in God (The Dawkin's Scale *)

3. The claim for disbelief in God

4. The claim for without belief in God

(vs. not making a choice when everything has its causes and effects, IS A CHOICE - Burden of Proof)​

* There are 320,000,000 Gods

Therefore, the definition of Atheism asserts the belief in 320,000,000 Gods.

Atheism is a Religion.

32875_d906475e782b3585164cb3d645cae9fa.png

Premise 1: Who is an Atheist?

Pure Agnostic: God's existence and non-existence are exactly EQUIPROBABLE.
Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists, but I'm declined to be SKEPTICAL.
De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain, but I think God is very IMPROBABLE.​

Premise 2: "Equiprobable, skeptical, improbable" means:

1. Disbelief in God(s)
2. Belief in God(s)​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion: Atheism is a religion with 320,000,000 Gods
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Pure Agnostic

God's existence and non-existence are exactly EQUIPROBABLE.​

equiprobable: (of two or more things) equally likely to occur; having EQUAL PROBABILITY.

Therefore:

1. Disbelief in God(s)
2. Belief in God(s)
3. Therefore, the definition of Atheism asserts the belief in 320,000,000 Gods.​

5. Weak Atheist

I do not know whether God exists, but I'm declined to be SKEPTICAL.​

skeptical
1. not easily convinced; having doubts or reservations.
2. relating to the theory that certain knowledge is impossible.
Therefore:

1. Disbelief in God(s)
2. Belief in God(s)
3. Therefore, the definition of Atheism asserts the belief in 320,000,000 Gods.​

6. De-facto Atheist

I cannot know for certain, but I think God is very IMPROBABLE.​

improbable
1. not likely to be true or to happen.

synonyms: unlikely, not likely, doubtful, dubious, debatable, questionable, uncertain;
More: unexpected and apparently inauthentic.
Therefore:

1. Disbelief in God(s)
2. Belief in God(s)

This is a very short cut and paste, very disappointing.
Please post a lot more.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Atheism does

religion
/rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/
noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

synonyms: faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; More

Pure Agnostic: God's existence and non-existence are exactly EQUIPROBABLE.
Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists, but I'm declined to be SKEPTICAL.
De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain, but I think God is very IMPROBABLE
.​
If atheists don’t think a God is probable or reject the idea outright, how the hell are they believing in a superhuman controlling power? You realise that not believing in a personal God is exactly the opposite of what you just stated, right?
Also there are religions which don’t actually believe in a superhuman controlling power or a personal God at all. Like Jains for example.

2. a particular system of faith and worship.

Also the Atheism activities; the system of faith and not rooteed in logic, science, philosophy, facts but hasty generalization.

What? Atheists have no joined activities. Because the only thing they have in common is a non belief in God/s. You literally just generalised like 100 different subgroups and claimed they share a system of faith and worship.
So prove it. Far as I can tell, atheists consist of a plethora of different people with different ideas and even beliefs.

3. a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.

Certainly.
Therefore, Atheism is a religion with 320,000,000 Gods.

I wouldn’t call not believing or being indifferent to God/s a pursuit or interest, let alone one followed with great devotion.
I have seen some atheist activists debate religious indoctrination, but that is more a reaction. Dawkins pursues science and debunks pseudoscience, but that’s hardly a religion. A hobby maybe, but most atheists just live their lives minding their own business.​

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"BRANDING" is not an argument, and certainly not the Truth. Try something better, at least with all the terms define clearly for your counterargument.

That's your response?
Not addressing anything but using 'BRANDING'...again with the capitals...as a retort?

My argument has nothing to do with branding, but is instead based on how language works.
Yours appears to be based on personal preference, but if you have something cogent to add, I'll listen.

Matheist

That's your response?
Not addressing anything but using 'BRANDING'...again with the capitals...as a retort?

My argument has nothing to do with branding, but is instead based on how language works.
Yours appears to be based on personal preference, but if you have something cogent to add, I'll listen.

Claiming something without proofs and evidences is BRANDING.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
There is Nature's God and it is in the American Constitution. Same thing with the Quran, God is The LordLaw of the Universe.

Allah is the LordLaw of the Universe (LordLaw of Nature). (Quran 1:2)

Accordingly, the idea of God came from Nature and Natural Order.

Now,

Argument: Consequence is NO COINCIDENCE. (is God)

So Atheism is the lack of belief (without belief) in the LordLaw of Cause & Effect?

Atheism goes entirely without reliance on that cause and effect, yes!

Matheist

If atheists don’t think a God is probable or reject the idea outright, how the hell are they believing in a superhuman controlling power? You realise that not believing in a personal God is exactly the opposite of what you just stated, right?
Also there are religions which don’t actually believe in a superhuman controlling power or a personal God at all. Like Jains for example.

What? Atheists have no joined activities. Because the only thing they have in common is a non belief in God/s. You literally just generalised like 100 different subgroups and claimed they share a system of faith and worship.
So prove it. Far as I can tell, atheists consist of a plethora of different people with different ideas and even beliefs.

I wouldn’t call not believing or being indifferent to God/s a pursuit or interest, let alone one followed with great devotion.
I have seen some atheist activists debate religious indoctrination, but that is more a reaction. Dawkins pursues science and debunks pseudoscience, but that’s hardly a religion. A hobby maybe, but most atheists just live their lives minding their own business.​

Does the above argument support the validity of Atheism?

Matheist

Atheism goes entirely without reliance on that cause and effect, yes!

So it is a belief system, right?

1. delusional. characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality (nature) or rational argument (logic), typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

2. Insanity. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy (unnature) from reality (nature).​

Atheism is truly deluded.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Exactly and the entire matter can be settled with one simple question.

That is, Would the term Atheism even have been around if the notion of God/theism had never been brought up by someone in the first place?

It was introduced theistic ideology and religion acting as a catalyst by which the term atheism was later coined as a response to answer newly introduced theistic ideologies.

Matheist

Exactly and the entire matter can be settled with one simple question.

That is, Would the term Atheism even have been coined if the notion of God/theism had never been brought up by someone in the first place?

It was introduced theistic ideology and religion acting as a catalyst by which the term atheism was coined as a response to answer newly introduced theistic ideologies.

Animism is the oldest religious belief and before there is a religion. Animism is about Nature's God... The validity of God came from Nature.

That is the foundation of God and Religion, and before it became corrupted by Politicians as we know it today.

On the other hand, what is the foundation of Atheism?

It is clearly have nothing to do with Nature or Natural Order.

It is simply rooted from "ANTI".

That is a Religion and the symptom of mental illness.

1. delusional. characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality (nature) or rational argument (logic), typically as a symptom of mental disorder.

2. Insanity. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy (unnature) from reality (nature).​