• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and the Evolution of Religious Faith

whirlingmerc

As far as 'evolution' of religious faith, the earliest book in the Bible was probably Job
The earliest topic grappled with would be why virtuous people suffer and is the stuff God gives
and your health a good enough reason to worship God?

Job: Journey from Moral Man to Wise

It is kind of amazing how fast after the flood religious became like the languages different and spread... is that evolution? Not sure I would use that word

LukeS

In islam there is something like the survival of the fittest. The "straight path" is fitting, appropriate, and those on it avoid evil (harmful things) and thus survive.

Mark Dohle

But it is useful for how we imagine God what is. And that is the point. Do we hold on to, say outdated anthropomorphic imaginings where the world is controlled by magic forces from on high, or do we evolve our ideas of the Divine itself, integrating the Knowledge of this Ground of all Being, with the sure footing of the natural world?

The same thing applies to not just the questions of what God is or means, but of the workings and nature of religion itself, it's traditions and changes, it's religious texts and their origins, and so forth. The point is, that to question and reexamine these things leads to growth. Everyone wins, I believe.

I'm not making an argument to the existence of God. Only that we can, and frankly need to evolve what we imagine that to mean.
You are saying we should listen and seek understanding. Thoughtful people from any tradition are worth listening to. The 'fantics' or 'black and white' thinkers are often boring and impossible to have a conversation with. We live in a world of wonder as well as a world where there will always be doubt, best to make friends with it. Yet I am a devout Christian and Love the Lord.

Peace
mark

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We live in a world of wonder as well as a world where there will always be doubt, best to make friends with it.
You are an insightful soul. I respect this. Yes, doubt. Doubt is actually the ally of faith. It's of course not a matter of something faith hones itself again, in defense of itself. Rather it's what helps faith stretch itself, beyond a certain self-love of its own notions of Divine truth, which ultimately causes it to atrophy and cease to function. By all means doubt! Forever question, everything.

Yet I am a devout Christian and Love the Lord.

Peace
mark
I'm not sure why there is a "yet" in this statement?

RESOLUTION

Thank God for Atheism. I genuinely, and paradoxically mean that. What I mean by this is that those that doubt and apply sharp and critical eyes to religious faiths actually, can aide religious faith in examining itself and engaging in a little housecleaning as well as redefining itself in the light of the truths that the skeptic rightly calls out. As is the case everyone responds differently to that sharp edge of doubt. Some hide from it, deny its validity, make cases against the claims in acts of self defense towards its own self preservation. Other's welcome it with open arms as an opportunity to learn and grow their own understanding of their religiously given assumptions. After all, religion has evolved all along from the beginning of human history, why not be part of that tradition of change and help evolve it today?

Windwalker, The truth is that you are assuming and have nothing to show which suggests that those who believe do not apply a sharp and critical eye regarding all things religious and unreligious.
It is a bunch of well placed words which actually mean nothing in the great scheme of faith. What you have wrote will neither support or even help examine a faith. Cold hard facts about religions and debates which discuss these issues are what arrive at an intellectual and intelligent outcome. But the truth is we live by faith everyday whether religious or not.
We got to be at night expecting the sun to rise tomorrow and the world still to exist. Religion does not exist because atheism exists, neither does it support it. Truth is the best way forward impacted with sincerity and honesty. Christ impacted the world... not with superior wisdom but with actions based in love and power and practicing what he preaches. God is so real to the believer they know that man can only be lost by his own choice.

I subscribe to an Integral approach to these things and find that understanding that all points of view have and expose truths, yet none exclusively answer everything. 'True but partial', is the mantra of an Integral approach. As another saying goes, "No one is so stupid as to be wrong 100% of the time". This means atheism has many truths right. It also means religions do as well. Where those truths are and what their importance is becomes part of defining one's spiritual growth.
It is the lack of answers outside the truths we believe we have which makes faith a reality and God the creator.

It is a challenge for many to let go of the attitude that because religion has many great truths, it must therefore be true and not doubted. Likewise, that atheism has many truths and evidences to support it in hard to deny ways, that it then therefore must be the truth and the path to find the answers. Why not instead embrace atheism with respect and gratitude for it's sharp and keen insights, while at the same time embracing the light and truths of religious faith? I do not see these things as mutually exclusive, but interconnected parts of the whole.

Shot in the foot... How can two opposites both be right? Light and Darkness only show both exist in the absence of each other. There is no darkness where their is light and no light where there is darkness. The light being the strongest contender because it shows what the dark cannot.
When it goes dark, does what existed in the light still exist or not?
I read this in Sri Aurobindo's collection of writings in The Life Divine a few years ago that has always impressed me and speaks to this very thing,

It is necessary, therefore, that advancing Knowledge should base herself on a clear, pure and disciplined intellect. It is necessary, too, that she should correct her errors sometimes by a return to the restraint of sensible fact, the concrete realities of the physical world. The touch of Earth is always reinvigorating to the son of Earth, even when he seeks a supraphysical Knowledge. It may even be said that the supraphysical can only be really mastered in its fullness – to its heights we can always search– when we keep our feet firmly on the physical. “Earth is His footing,” says the Upanishad whenever it images the Self that manifests in the universe. And it is certainly the fact the wider we extend and the surer we make our knowledge of the physical world, the wider and surer becomes our foundation for the higher knowledge, even for the highest, even for the Brahmavidya.

In emerging, therefore, out of the materialistic period of human Knowledge we must be careful that we do not rashly condemn what we are leaving or throw away even one tittle of its gains, before we can summon perceptions and powers that are well grasped and secure, to occupy their place. Rather we shall observe with respect and wonder the work that Atheism has done for the Divine and admire the services that Agnosticism has rendered in preparing the illimitable increase of knowledge. In our world error is continually the handmaid and pathfinder of Truth; for error is really a half-truth that stumbles because of its limitations; often it is Truth that wears a disguise in order to arrive unobserved near to its goal. Well, if it could always be, as it has been in the great period we are leaving, the faithful handmaid, severe, conscientious, clean-handed, luminous within its limits, a half-truth and not a reckless and presumptuous aberration."

~Sri Aurobindo, The Life Divine, pg 13,14

God exists outside, time and space. The physical earth and all which exists does so because God created it. When a man speaks his words as above do nothing. When God speaks the things he says comes to pass. Man has been making excuses up since time and memorial. Man is limited to his own thoughts, intelligence and they are limited to the things he knows.
In God man is not limited to his flesh and the physical world he is made alive to the Spiritual elements of himself and the creative presence and knowledge of God.

To advance knowledge of God requires being able to know the Spiritual things of ourselves. Spirit and Truth comes from God not the things of the world. When the darkness comes it blinds the soul to the things which cannot be seen but are nevertheless still there. To know God we have to use the Spiritual light which gives us sight of the things unseen but are still real hidden only from the Spiritually blind and dead.

Mark Dohle

You are an insightful soul. I respect this. Yes, doubt. Doubt is actually the ally of faith. It's of course not a matter of something faith hones itself again, in defense of itself. Rather it's what helps faith stretch itself, beyond a certain self-love of its own notions of Divine truth, which ultimately causes it to atrophy and cease to function. By all means doubt! Forever question, everything.

I'm not sure why there is a "yet" in this statement?
Many atheist, and believers, believe that doubt militates against faith.....I do believe that everyone has doubts, some repress it and it expresses itself in being over defensive for some.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Windwalker, The truth is that you are assuming and have nothing to show which suggests that those who believe do not apply a sharp and critical eye regarding all things religious and unreligious.
You are assuming my thoughts here and are incorrect about them. You seem to largely miss the contexts and the point of what I was saying overall. I'll see if I can't shed a little more light on this in the rest of my response.

What you have wrote will neither support or even help examine a faith.
It may not for you in the context of how you hold your faith. And that goes to my point about what atheism brings to the table. There are other, larger contexts that I'm examining, and what I say in fact has a considerable substance and support to it, and it bears directly on questions of faith.

Cold hard facts about religions and debates which discuss these issues are what arrive at an intellectual and intelligent outcome.
To a certain extent, yes. To another extent, no. Arguing back and forth who has the right idea is a very myopic view, essentially the flip side of the same coin. Should you wear a black hat during prayer, or a white hat, or no hat, are all part of the same mindset.

What I am talking about is challenging the whole mindset, to cause one to reexamine the very questions themselves, to examine the nature of the questions, and to examine how we are perceiving things in the first place. It's about a shift in contexts. It's here, in that action that stages of growth take leaps forward. This is the context I'm talking about in the OP.

But the truth is we live by faith everyday whether religious or not.
We got to be at night expecting the sun to rise tomorrow and the world still to exist.
I don't consider that "faith" in the sense of what faith is in a religious context. Religious faith is much more than just having 'faith' your car will start in the morning. The very object of religious faith has to do with questions of Ultimate Reality, what that is and means to us, how we relate to that in ourselves, and so forth.

This other stuff about 'faith the sun will rise' trivializes what religious faith is and misses the point of it. However, for many maybe that's what it is for them, which then in that case the atheist rightly would say you better place that 'faith' in something that has empirical support, such as a the common pattern of sunrise and sunsets anyone can observe.

Religion does not exist because atheism exists, neither does it support it.
You could say death does not support life, yet understood another way, without death life would not exist. It is because of death, life continues. Consider that in the context of this thread. Can you not say, "Thank God for death," because without dying there would be no new life? Isn't that somewhat the same? If it we were not casting off the old, how could there be the new? Isn't this what atheism helps us do? Casting off the old?

What were Jesus' words about putting new wine in old wineskins?

Truth is the best way forward impacted with sincerity and honesty.
No argument. But when we malign and deny our critics, and don't listen to them with sincerity and honesty, can we truly claim to be interested in truth?

It is the lack of answers outside the truths we believe we have which makes faith a reality and God the creator.
I'm not sure I track exactly with your reasoning here. I hope you're not calling filling in the blanks of current knowledge with religious answers is what is called faith. I don't consider that faith at all, actually. God of the gaps, is just promissory notes for current religious beliefs. That's not faith, that's wishful thinking.

Faith allows beliefs to change. Beliefs that will not change is not faith, but rather fear.

Shot in the foot... How can two opposites both be right?
First of all, there is in reality a continuation of a line between polar opposites. Most everything actually exists on that line within that spectrum somewhere. Everything is part of something else, so in reality atheism and theism are part of that same line, and their questions and truth fall somewhere on that line, and not so cleanly as 'absolute' opposites. That's like saying the north pole of a magnet is not a magnet because it's not the south pole. Both atheism and theism are perceptions of religious truth, dealing with questions of ultimate reality. Both deal with the same thing. Right hand and left hand are not opposite in the sense they are not connected to the same body. There are the same, just functioning differently towards the benefit of the whole.

Secondly, Thesis and antithesis are 'opposites', but all that is simply creating the the tension that gives rise to the third thing - synthesis. Reality is not so much a binary system, but rather a ternary system in this sense. It is that dynamic of thesis, antithesis, and synthesis that gives rise to creation itself. In reality that 'synthesis' is not a blending together of the two, but rather an emergence of novelty; something new that is its own thing that includes elements of the previous reality, but transcends both with something new that hadn't existed previously, nor can be reduced down to what it emerged from.

So now, in this understanding, you can start to see what I mean by saying, "Thank God for atheism", is that because of this necessary tension of thesis and antithesis, growth can happen. Out with the old, in with the new. God is dead, long live God. "You cannot put new wine in old wineskins, if you do the skins will burst and the wine will run out."

Light and Darkness only show both exist in the absence of each other.
Without dark, there would be no light. Without light, there would be no dark. These are things we define as truths by placing boundaries around them. These are dualistic constructions based on our perceptions. In a dualistic reality, all things are defined as "this and not that", but there are problems inherent in dividing up reality this way.

There is also a nondual reality, where these ways of perceiving are held by the mind differently. I won't get into that here, but the point being there are problems in assuming light and dark are independent "things" in and of themselves. They aren't. Neither exist without the other.

God exists outside, time and space.
If this is exclusively truth, that God exists "outside" anything at all, including time and space, then this God is not infinite. There is a boundary around God, a limit, a wall, a barrier, a stopping point. Infinity is boundless, limitless, without beginning or end. In my way of seeing and relating to God, God is both wholly transcendent, and wholly immanent, both before and beyond time and space, and fully present in time and space. There is no separation between the Transcendent God, and Creation itself. There can be none and God remain God.

To you I'll assume you see this as impossible because you see things in terms of polar opposites, that God can't be both, that God must be one or the other. Either theism is true, or Pantheism is true, but they can't be both. Either theism is true or atheism is true, but both can't be true.

One thing to note here that may help. When you are talking about Ultimate Reality, or God, anytime you begin to talk about that in a dualistic context, using words that put boundaries around things turning them into objects, this will begin to fall apart and break down in mutually exclusive contradictions.

The mind cannot define God without introducing direct contradictions into it. However, God can be held paradoxically. These inherent paradoxes at this level are unavoidable, but they CAN in fact be held unproblematically. This now is the nature of nondual reality in human experience. God can be understood to both exist and not exist, as questions of theism versus atheism are rendered moot at this point. God is seen within paradox. All other expressions of God, either through theism or atheism are partial views of Ultimate Truth.

I don't expect you'll get what I'm saying here at this point. It is understandably bewildering to us. But who says God is easy to understand, except those who haven't begun to yet. :)

Man is limited to his own thoughts, intelligence and they are limited to the things he knows.
Then he should quit claiming to know what God is, but rather instead explore beyond the limits of what we currently think we know to be true. :)

In God man is not limited to his flesh and the physical world he is made alive to the Spiritual elements of himself and the creative presence and knowledge of God.
I don't disagree with this. However, this does not mean you magically understand truth because you claim some prophet spoke words from God. Being spiritual does not mean magic knowledge. It is in direct experience of God in yourself, that you begin to see that you really don't know anything at all about God.

To advance knowledge of God requires being able to know the Spiritual things of ourselves.
There is only one way that happens, and that is direct experience. Reading 'about' God has certain value, but if you have nothing more than that, at best you have thoughts about God and not a direct knowledge of what God is and how that relates to you. Religion all too often is about concepts and beliefs, which is not the same thing as direct, firsthand experience. Reading about bike riding is not the same as bike riding itself.

Spirit and Truth comes from God not the things of the world.
Spirit and Truth of God also come from the world. You should read the psalms.

The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

All the world is God's word, spoken and heard in every gust of wind, ever sound of the birds, or children, or people walking the streets. It's only a matter of hearing and seeing.

When the darkness comes it blinds the soul to the things which cannot be seen but are nevertheless still there.
Yes indeed. Which is why we need others to challenge us to see beyond our ideas of what we have constructed about God in order to see God. Thank God for atheism! We can't see God when we are married to our beliefs about God.

To know God we have to use the Spiritual light which gives us sight of the things unseen but are still real hidden only from the Spiritually blind and dead.
And the religious in fact can be both Spiritually blind and dead because they substitute their beliefs for actual experience of God. Thank God for atheism to get them to maybe question these beliefs that may be standing in the way for them at this point in their growth. How can you see God when you place your religious beliefs in front of God?

RESOLUTION

Will read through.

I do not accept that is bears directly on any questions of faith.
Since faith is not based on the things you have brought forward for thinking about.

Arguing back and forth isn't about faith??? Atheists cannot contribute nor be held as having right ideas when it comes to
faith for they lack any form of faith when it comes to God. Ultimate reality is where faith is God exists.
What you refer to are dress codes and for different reasons different religions all have a way of dressing which would for
some show their faith in their particular religion. You going to show a right or wrong regarding religion in that reality
department? The answer is 'No', isn't it?

You cannot question something you have no personal knowledge or experience about. The sun might not rise tomorrow.
There is many things which could happen to change the sunrise and sunset. What is the probability it would?
It does not add or take away from the faith of those who are believers of a creator of us being the created.

Your car starting in the morning does not require faith. How many times have you started your car in the mornings before?
So you misappropriate the meaning of faith in religion. Your car requires petrol, services and all the parts to work to start
the car. Faith alone won't start it for you and it does not require faith. Religious faith especially in Christian faiths
is:- The willingness to believe and act on the basis of what we know of God, which may be very little and to trust God, that
he will not let us down.
So it is putting your trust in the person God and what he has revealed not hoping you car will start in the morning given it
requires no faith for something to do something it does on a regular basis.

Rubbish... Illogical Without life, there could be no death and like light and darkness both life and death cannot exist in
the body at the same time. However without life you would not know death. Without light how would you know darkness.
The mutually exist but each show each others existence they do not Unless you plant seeds and the seed dies in the ground
and produces new life/plants we would not have food. But no one knows what makes the ground when dead in the ground grow
life. You say:- " Without dying there would be no life" Life in humans begats life not death.

The wine skins and Jesus was about the sin being removed. Old wine skins.. old ways but the new way by Spirit meant they
required new way for new wine. Sin was removed the old way but you cannot have it that way when the new way comes.
So the you need to renew the old wine skins to allow them to hold the new wine. Spiritual thing, not going to get into
that with you now.

No argument...Did you actually read what you wrote?
It makes absolutely no logical or intelligent sense when relating to a Christians beliefs and an atheist who would challenge
them?????

Your not sure you track th reasoning???? The reality of faith God and Christ being made known to the believer is what you
cannot understand because you don't know the bible and have never studied the truth of Christs teachings or the Prophets.
You do not have even the present day knowledge of Scholars regarding Christianity, so the above would be beyond your
capabilities or understanding. You have no higher ground or premise from which to build any case for or against Christian
faith. You lack even the basis of a teaching any scholar whi is not a Christian would teach you. Christianity, is about love.
1 John 4:17-18King James Version (KJV)

17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in
this world.

18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth
is not made perfect in love.

Christianity is utlimately about a way of life which promotes love of God for man and mans love for each other.
We see that fear plays not part in the Christian faith. The belief is love of truth about God and Man and about faith
in what he has in store for ourselves and others.

Polar opposites? If referring to faith in God then God and Satan would be opposites.
Believer and Atheists opposites. The rest is mumbo jumbo and means absolutely nothing when God is base camp for
anything which would proceed from any. God is a reality in the world today whether you have faith or no faith.
You lack understanding and are using arguments you have learned from another who is also uneducated in the way of faith
and God in the world.

So show us God on the basis of your light and darkness.
I see God creator of light and darkness on earth a light that lends itself only to the created on earth.
So the sun by day, the moon by night, even there some light in a darkness which still envelopes everything at night.
Truth is that atheism has not answers to stop faith or God.
So atheism is merely the absence of faith not an argument against it.

Now you are being silly. You said and I quote:- " If this is exclusively truth, that God exists "outside" anything at all,
including time and space, then this God is not infinite."
What do you know which actually exists outside time and space which would prove God not to be infinite?
In 'reality' and no matter where in the world. The belief in a god, a creator has always existed.
It is infinte simply on that basis alone regardless of time and space. God is the only true immortal.
Unless you actually have factual evidence outside the obvious then your argument is already lost.

Nothing bewildering about illogical fallacies. Fallacies you have learned from another without puttng your own brain into
gear to examine before reiterating what they told you. You have no arguments because you have never studied the bible, the
Christian faith or what is taught about God. The obvious that since man existed so has the belief in god this shows
God is even infinte in the physical world today. God is without beginning or end WITHIN the world and humanity.
You cannot expect anyone to see a point which never existed in the first instance.

I think a good time for you as a man to quit, would be right now.
You have proved me right in your response so far... Man is limited to his own thoughts, intelligence and they are limited
to the things he (thinks) he knows.

xxxx

Logical thinking and learned intelligent human beings who haev read the bible and studied Christianity are not lead so easily
as yourself to believe in things which that knowledge would have easily dismissed.
For you to reply with:- " I don't disagree" then to give the most ridiculous statement which proves you know nothing
about the spiritual life of a believer regarding God.

What is that direct experience you refer to? You say:- " Reading 'about' God has certain value etc.
What did Abraham read to know God? What did Moses read to know God?
You need to study the bible and faith before you deem to tell others about the things you do not know.

I said, " Spirit and Truth comes from God not the things of the world.
You said:-
insert his quote.

You are mistaking the works of God which reveal/declare his glory for his Spirit and his word with which
his works/creation were created from.

The gust of winds, the birds, the people do not give spiritual life to a persons body and soul.

You have no understanding of the Spirit and Truth for they bring power to the soul and life of a person.
Even the SPIRITUALLY dead can see the works of Gods hands and never give him the glory for them.

Atheism kills, you believe that we should thank God and keep it?
You really haven't thought these things through, have you?

Those alive to God do not have Spiritual blindness. But you appear to have no knowledge ofthe truth.
The light shining in the darkness which no man can put out.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Since faith is not based on the things you have brought forward for thinking about.
In your opinion. Faith very much has to do with what I am addressing. You should read the first few chapters of James Fowler's research in his book Stages of Faith. He details what religious faith is and means, and how it has changed meaning to this "I believe" business of today. Read in particular what he details on pages 9 - 15. This is the knowledge I am working off of, that and Paul Tillich's Dynamics of Faith, as well as the works of others, in addition to my own years of experience with it, and observation in others how and what they imagine faith to mean to them. You may benefit from reading the works I mentioned above.

BTW, it's really hard to know what you are responding to from my post when you don't provide the quotes of my words. Very confusing. It's not hard to include the quotes.

Arguing back and forth isn't about faith???
No, it is not. It's about ideas and opinions. Faith is different than beliefs. Faith is the impulse, an intuition if you will, that reaching for the sun pulling a plant upwards. Beliefs on the other hand are supporting structures, like the lattice a vine secures itself to. Beliefs are thoughts and ideas about things, including our ideas about faith. Beliefs can change in support of faith. You can move that plant to another support structure and faith be equally alive and vital within it. But if you equate faith as the same as beliefs, then if the support you have for your beliefs fail and you drop that belief, do you equate that with losing faith? I don't! I equate that with growing your beliefs in support of evolving faith. Sometimes plants need better support structures in order to continue their growth.

Atheists cannot contribute nor be held as having right ideas when it comes to faith for they lack any form of faith when it comes to God.
No, they don't have any beliefs when it comes to God. I would however, even to their dismay say they very much have faith. They see that Ultimate Reality for them exists beyond ideas about gods, in that sense. Their atheism is their supporting structures upon which they approach ultimate truth and meaning. The pursuit of ultimate truth and meaning - is an act of faith. It is the impulse towards Truth, regardless if it includes a god figure or a purely naturalistic, atheist model of reality.

Models of reality are support structures for faith, whether that model is theistic or atheistic. Theology and science are the same, in that aspect of them despite the differing tool sets and methodologies employed. They both create a map of Reality in their own ways, and function similarly on that particular level of Ultimate Truth.

Ultimate reality is where faith is God exists.
For you, not for them.

What you refer to are dress codes and for different reasons different religions all have a way of dressing which would for
some show their faith in their particular religion. You going to show a right or wrong regarding religion in that reality
You appear to have missed my point. Arguing who's right is not an act of faith, it's an act of opinions and beliefs about them. Beliefs and faith are not just different words for the same thing when it comes to the context of religious faith.

So you misappropriate the meaning of faith in religion.
I'd strongly suggest reading those explanations of what faith is in the works I cited above. Here's a quick quote for you,

1. Faith, rather than belief or religion, is the most fundamental category in the human quest for relation to transcendence. Faith, it appears, is generic, a universal feature of human living, recognizably similar everywhere despite the remarkable variety of forms and contents of religious practice and belief.​

From Fowler's Stages of Faith, page 14, [emphasis mine]. He lists out 3 more summaries after the above which he covers in detail the pages previously.

As you can see above, this very much includes atheism since faith is a "universal feature of human living", and atheists are obviously human. It doesn't matter what the "forms and contents" of practice and belief are, whether religious or secular.

Faith draws us towards, and points the mind to that transcendent truth and reality, the 'big picture' if you will. And that applies to atheism as well as theism, pantheism, and panentheism. Those are all simply ways to look at and talk about and relate oneself to Ultimate Reality. But faith is the same regardless. It's not "faith in X, Y, or Z", but Faith as the thing in itself. And the beliefs structures and systems we find and hold to, whether Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Atheist, etc, are simply ways to support and grow that Faith everyone has.

I'll respond to the rest later. Again, providing quotes from me what you are responding to will be helpful going forward. Thanks.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rubbish... Illogical Without life, there could be no death and like light and darkness both life and death cannot exist in
the body at the same time.
Just because something someone else points out to you escapes your current understanding, to call it "rubbish" speaks poorly of you, not me. You missed my point in this. What we call light and dark, life and death, are simply aspects of the same thing our minds wish to differentiate as isolated separate things in themselves. It's a very dualistic mode of thought. But that mode of thought, is just that: a mode of thinking or perception. It's not the only mode or perception of reality we can hold, where these distinctions and differentiations are seen as artificial. That you don't follow this, simply means it's new to you. It's not rubbish. Others who understand things like nonduality will get what I mean.

And where this relates is that when it comes to "God" or the Infinite, these distinctions break down into necessary paradoxes, logical contradictions. So yes, it is "illogical", since we are talking about God here! But it's not rubbish..... ;)

The wine skins and Jesus was about the sin being removed.
Actually, I read that differently than you. I hear it much more about renewed systems in with faith as it grows is able to be held. If you try to stuff modernity into prescientific mythic systems, they will burst and faith is spilled out all over onto the ground. That's very much what I see happening in religion these days, Christianity in particular. Jesus was in context talking about the differences in religious practices and observances. He was talking about why his disciples weren't fasting when others questioned and criticized them. So that, pertains to what I've been saying. Old wineskins of outdated religious beliefs and practices, failing to hold the new wine.

Old wine skins.. old ways but the new way by Spirit meant they required new way for new wine.
Exactly what I just said.

Spiritual thing, not going to get into that with you now.
I am first and foremost in practice a mystic. I think I can handle a conversation about spiritual things.

No argument...Did you actually read what you wrote?
It makes absolutely no logical or intelligent sense when relating to a Christians beliefs and an atheist who would challenge
them?????
I have no idea what the context of this is as you didn't provide the quote from me you were referencing.

Your not sure you track th reasoning???? The reality of faith God and Christ being made known to the believer is what you
cannot understand because you don't know the bible and have never studied the truth of Christs teachings or the Prophets.
Okay, now you're crossing into a declaration of your ignorance. I do know the Bible, and I have studied it cover to cover. I have a degree in theology, and had been involved in the ministry. So.... you were saying..... ;)

You do not have even the present day knowledge of Scholars regarding Christianity, so the above would be beyond your
capabilities or understanding.
I have a fairly good-sized library of modern Christian scholars, and I actual had the pleasure not long ago of enjoying a great discussion with one of the scholars who was part of the Jesus Seminar. She had invited me out to coffee after hearing some of my thoughts about the topic she was covering during a seminar she was giving. Yes, I'm fairly knowledgeable in this area, as none of this is beyond my capabilities. I think you are doing some projecting of yourself on me here.....

You have no higher ground or premise from which to build any case for or against Christian faith.
Since you were patently wrong in your assumptions about me, does this mean you'll listen now? And I'm not making a case "against" Christian faith. I'm making a case for letting it actually be faith, not this ill-informed nonsense you see in many churches equating faith with doctrinal beliefs. I'm for supporting faith, as faith.

You lack even the basis of a teaching any scholar whi is not a Christian would teach you. Christianity, is about love.
1 John 4:17-18King James Version (KJV)
My first sermon I preached was on the Two Great Commandments. I stated then, as I would now, no other sermon ever needs to be preached but this one. It's all about Love at the heart and center of all true religion. Yes, I do understand this. Why do you seat yourself in the throne of judgment with me? You should reconsider this course you're taking here. You're making yourself appear foolish.

Polar opposites? If referring to faith in God then God and Satan would be opposites.
Actually, there's a good book by scholar Elaine Pagels about the evolution of Satan. In it she covers how the Devil originally was an agent of God to try to bring people to God by destroying obstacles, testing and trying them. In other words, Satan was not the "opposite" of God, but an agent of God. Try reading Job outside the more modern views and you'll see something a little different. But I won't spend my time getting into all that. You can read her work for yourself.

Believer and Atheists opposites.
Opposite sides of the same coin. I'm looking particular at the coin itself, not the heads side or the tails side. You're missing my point here.

The rest is mumbo jumbo and means absolutely nothing when God is base camp for
anything which would proceed from any. God is a reality in the world today whether you have faith or no faith.
Again, calling my words "mumbo jumbo" speaks about you, not me. My words have very cohesive meaning and depth, and they usually require people to re-read them several times in order to unpack all the meaning. No one except those frustrated by not having quick and easy sound bites handed to them call my writings 'mumbo jumbo'. :) This is not a good course for you to take with me. I'm resisting really taking you to task for this, hoping you'll realize your error and course correct.

You lack understanding and are using arguments you have learned from another who is also uneducated in the way of faith
and God in the world.
Are you projecting yourself on me again?

Truth is that atheism has not answers to stop faith or God.
I don't think it's about stopping faith. I see it as a servant of faith, because it helps us get rid of outdated ideas about God which stand in the way of our faith growing. It's that simple.

Now you are being silly. You said and I quote:- " If this is exclusively truth, that God exists "outside" anything at all, including time and space, then this God is not infinite." What do you know which actually exists outside time and space which would prove God not to be infinite?
You argued that that, "God exists outside, time and space." So it's you who are making this claim, which then leaves you with this problem that God must therefore not be infinite. It's your argument, not mine. If you were to say "God exists outside, time and space.... as well as fully present within time and space, that there is no place, or time, that God is not," then we are on the same page. Saying God exists outside," anything places a boundary around God. Do you believe that? Do you believe there is a place where God is not?

The belief in a god, a creator has always existed.
No it hasn't! Where did you get this idea from? What researcher? What scholar? Based on what?

Nothing bewildering about illogical fallacies. Fallacies you have learned from another without puttng your own brain into
gear to examine before reiterating what they told you.
Insults like this give me the impression you are quite young and are trying to save face by putting someone you feel bested by down like this. Again, projection. I have spent the last several decades in deep research and thought of my own in this. I am frankly an expert in these areas. That you don't follow it simply means you don't understand the contexts for it, yet. To insult me this way tells me you're just being foolish. Projection of ourselves onto others, is us accusing them of what we see ourselves doing, but dislike so much we cast it onto someone else to avoid looking at ourselves. Of course, there is no reality in actuality in the other person. There is no actuality of the things you say I'm doing in me.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For you to reply with:- " I don't disagree" then to give the most ridiculous statement which proves you know nothing
about the spiritual life of a believer regarding God.

What is that direct experience you refer to?
You just said I know nothing about spiritual life, and then you don't know what I mean by direct experience of God? That's interesting.

You say:- " Reading 'about' God has certain value etc.
What did Abraham read to know God? What did Moses read to know God?
You need to study the bible and faith before you deem to tell others about the things you do not know.
I'm saying for many "believers", they have no experience of God, but instead relying on things like reading the Bible. Again, I'm probably more knowledgeable about the Bible than you are, so you'd do well to drop this baseless rhetoric you're choosing to use. It's not adding anything of value and only serves to make you look foolish. I don't enjoy seeing you do this to yourself this way. I'd prefer to respect you.

I said, " Spirit and Truth comes from God not the things of the world.
You said:-
insert his quote.

You are mistaking the works of God which reveal/declare his glory for his Spirit and his word with which
his works/creation were created from.

The gust of winds, the birds, the people do not give spiritual life to a persons body and soul.
It's faith that does, and these things inspire faith. And all these things are the Word of God, in fact. The Logos, of John 1 is in a nutshell, God expressing and making himself known. All things are created by that Expression. "Their words are gone forth" into all the world. They are "God speaking", literally.

You have no understanding of the Spirit and Truth for they bring power to the soul and life of a person.

Even the SPIRITUALLY dead can see the works of Gods hands and never give him the glory for them.
No. Actually they cannot. Have you never read Jesus' words about how many have eyes to see and ears to hear but cannot because they are blind and deaf to the things of God?

One of the most remarkable, and commonly reported thing by those, myself included, who have had these Awakening experiences, this "born again" thing, is that you suddenly see what has been before your eyes the whole time, but simply were unable to see previously. So when you say the spiritually blind can see the works of God is simply false. They cannot see them. Hence why they are called "blind". They can't see!

I love what Jesus said also, "If you had known the Father, you would have known me". Why? Because the spiritually blind, those wrapped up in their egos, cannot see those who are "of the Spirit", or put another way those who see God. I find it interesting how you assume and rashly judge all these things about me, that I have "no understanding of the Spirit and Truth". That's telling. I see parallels here.

Atheism kills, you believe that we should thank God and keep it? You really haven't thought these things through, have you?
I think it's you who aren't thinking things through, and instead simply attack me personally as a substitute for an actual argument. I have explained how it serves God. You haven't followed that, apparently.

Those alive to God do not have Spiritual blindness. But you appear to have no knowledge ofthe truth.
The light shining in the darkness which no man can put out.
Again, projection. That's sad. But hopefully this might help you to look at yourself. I do wish you well, but you'd be served well by some genuine humility. I prefer respectful discussions, not what you have introduced here into this. Let's move beyond that.

Last edited:

RESOLUTION

In your opinion. Faith very much has to do with what I am addressing. You should read the first few chapters of James Fowler's research in his book Stages of Faith
BTW, it's really hard to know what you are responding to from my post when you don't provide the quotes of my words. Very confusing. It's not hard to include the quotes.
Therein lies your problem...
1 John 2:27King James Version (KJV)
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Which is in direct agreement with the New Covenant spoke about by Jeremiah.
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

It is about being taught by God and man not needing human teachers.

No, it is not. It's about ideas and opinions. Faith is different than beliefs. Faith is the impulse, an intuition if you will, that reaching for the sun pulling a plant upwards. Beliefs on the other hand are supporting structures, like the lattice a vine secures itself to. Beliefs are thoughts and ideas about things, including our ideas about faith. Beliefs can change in support of faith. You can move that plant to another support structure and faith be equally alive and vital within it. But if you equate faith as the same as beliefs, then if the support you have for your beliefs fail and you drop that belief, do you equate that with losing faith? I don't! I equate that with growing your beliefs in support of evolving faith. Sometimes plants need better support structures in order to continue their growth.

That is flesh speaking...Faith is about Truth and Spirit. Because without these things a true believer cannot worship the true God.
It is about Following Christ and it is about believing God and seeing thing by faith which confirm to a believe what they know about God is true,
A living relationship with the Father and the Son which means by faith we see. A more realistic approach is that people heard Peter speak in Acts 10 (even Gentiles) they believed on Jesus Name and they received the baptism of the true teacher and giver of the word, the Holy Spirit. Faith comes form hearing the word as we see from Acts 10.

No, they don't have any beliefs when it comes to God. I would however, even to their dismay say they very much have faith. They see that Ultimate Reality for them exists beyond ideas about gods, in that sense. Their atheism is their supporting structures upon which they approach ultimate truth and meaning. The pursuit of ultimate truth and meaning - is an act of faith. It is the impulse towards Truth, regardless if it includes a god figure or a purely naturalistic, atheist model of reality.

Now you deem to know what atheists think and believe? It does not require faith to disbelieve in something.
I would avoid those books of yours and read the bible.

Models of reality are support structures for faith, whether that model is theistic or atheistic. Theology and science are the same, in that aspect of them despite the differing tool sets and methodologies employed. They both create a map of Reality in their own ways, and function similarly on that particular level of Ultimate Truth.

You don't sound so sure... you are literally repeating parrot fashion what you have read. But in the great scheme of things it means very little and makes even less sense.
Science is the study of what is.. Life and the living, including God cannot be studied in that none of the above give you the answer to life outside the faith that God created
life. Sometimes a simpler and realistic approach is necessary. God created science in that he created all that science studies and man is the person who uses the creation
for his belief in science.

For you, not for them.
There is no reality outside the created and the creator. Just supposition and study which is mainly based on theories not reality.

You appear to have missed my point. Arguing who's right is not an act of faith, it's an act of opinions and beliefs about them. Beliefs and faith are not just different words for the same thing when it comes to the context of religious faith.
Appearances can be deceptive, can't they? I referred to the following:-

RESOLUTION said:

Religion is about the truth within the teachings. Christ has shown his faith is not just about teachings. Today men and women all over the world are preaching the gospel and they are
healing and performing miracles. It is ultimately about the truth in the religion and a faith which shows it has truth. You appear unable to understand what faith is, and how faith and works go hand in hand.

I'd strongly suggest reading those explanations of what faith is in the works I cited above. Here's a quick quote for you,

1. Faith, rather than belief or religion, is the most fundamental category in the human quest for relation to transcendence. Faith, it appears, is generic, a universal feature of human living, recognizably similar everywhere despite the remarkable variety of forms and contents of religious practice and belief.​

From Fowler's Stages of Faith, page 14, [emphasis mine]. He lists out 3 more summaries after the above which he covers in detail the pages previously.

As you can see above, this very much includes atheism since faith is a "universal feature of human living", and atheists are obviously human. It doesn't matter what the "forms and contents" of practice and belief are, whether religious or secular.

Faith draws us towards, and points the mind to that transcendent truth and reality, the 'big picture' if you will. And that applies to atheism as well as theism, pantheism, and panentheism. Those are all simply ways to look at and talk about and relate oneself to Ultimate Reality. But faith is the same regardless. It's not "faith in X, Y, or Z", but Faith as the thing in itself. And the beliefs structures and systems we find and hold to, whether Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Atheist, etc, are simply ways to support and grow that Faith everyone has.

I'll respond to the rest later. Again, providing quotes from me what you are responding to will be helpful going forward. Thanks.

Why would someone taught by God, need a man to teach them or have to read the books by a man?
The truth is that the faith must be met with truth that what you believe in, comes about in reality.

Example for you to read:-

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

Faith brings things into reality which previously were not seen or heard of, by the man in his normal state. You try to discuss faith without personal knowledge of what it means to have faith.

Hebrews 11:1 & 6 (KJV)
11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Within Acts 10 people by faith heard the word and believed. They then received what was promised.

Faith is a living way it is something more than your books could ever teach you.

RESOLUTION

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

Paul taught by excellent teachers but counted all things as loss to know Christ and the truth from God. I am sorry if you thought I insulted you. But the truth what I told you is not from I, and it was not intended to cause offense.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

We all must examine ourselves. I am not young but I am not too old either. I hope that you will think on and ask God for the light of life that his word may once again be a light to your feet and guide you back to the path where it is you and him in Christ. <>< ><>

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Paul taught by excellent teachers but counted all things as loss to know Christ and the truth from God. I am sorry if you thought I insulted you. But the truth what I told you is not from I, and it was not intended to cause offense.
And yet you continue to insult in this excuse you offer, absolving yourself of personal responsibility. I want to remind you this is not a debate thread. It's a discussion thread. You making a long list of unfounded comments such as that I've never read the Bible, that I don't have a clue about anything that I'm talking about, that I have no spirituality, that I rely on other's works and not my own thoughts, etc, is not only baseless, but personally insulting. I'm surprised you have chosen this form of communication in a discussion thread, not to mention personally as a Christian speaking with others.

I see no value in continuing this with you. You aren't seeing or hearing the words I have written in response, but instead choosing this substandard form of communication, which is not only uncalled for, it's also a violation of forum rules.

I'll leave you with one thought. I've heard it said by many former Christians become atheists something to the effect that, "I feel more a Christian now that I'm not one, than I ever did when I was one." That statement has real, deep truth to it. I can see it's true in many who abandoned a religious system which had kept them bound up in legalistic notions and attitudes that led them to not see or hear others with the eyes and ears of love.

They have found they don't "have to" love because they are supposed to, but because they choose to for no other reason than love is better than selfishness and sitting in self-righteous judgment of others, quoting scriptures at them and the like. In other words, they have found in their actions the true meaning of Christ's words once you strip away the poisons of the religion from them. Their atheism for them leads to a true spiritual growth.

Hence, likewise here, Christians can learn from atheists. Often times they are better at genuinely loving others than Christians are. I can hear Jesus' words saying this, "Atheists will enter the kingdom of God before you." Indeed, if they love, they have.

Last edited: