• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assuming an Arabic Name

Parzival

The boxer Cassius Clay is better known by the name he adopted after his conversion to Islam, Muhammad Ali. This is just one of many examples of people adopting Arabic names after converting to Islam. When somebody takes on a new name like that, do they have that name assigned to them or do they choose it themselves? Does the name you choose have some sort of significance?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its not a necessity to my knowledge, neither does it have any particular significance that i know of. Also its not really supposed to be assigned to the person by anyone, but you choose it. May be in some cases that happens (it being assigned i mean), but its not supposed to be or required at all as the name change itself is not.

However i'm sure of situations where people pick the names themselves. The only possible significance i can think of is may be if the person chooses a name attached to someone or something in Islamic history.

Last edited:

maro

muslimah
When somebody takes on a new name like that, do they have that name assigned to them or do they choose it themselves?

they choose it themselves

Does the name you choose have some sort of significance?

Arabic names .unlike english ones , are meaningful..and it should be a rightous meaning because the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: "On the Day of Resurrection, you will be called by your names and by your fathers' names, so give yourselves good names." (Hadith Abu Dawud).

Bismillah

Submit
I know that the Prophet extensively changed the names of some Muslims who converted because they had names that reflected Pagan society (i.e son of a particular god was changed to Abdullah or slave of Allah).

The meanings are retained over the linguistic barrier for example I have a friend named Yahya which is the Arabic equivalent to John.

fenrisx

Its not a necessity to my knowledge, neither does it have any particular significance that i know of. Also its not really supposed to be assigned to the person by anyone, but you choose it. May be in some cases that happens (it being assigned i mean), but its not supposed to be or required at all as the name change itself is not.

However i'm sure of situations where people pick the names themselves. The only possible significance i can think of is may be if the person chooses a name attached to someone or something in Islamic history.

Ive asked this question to my guide, in the Chisti Sufi tradition, and the answer I was given in that specific context is the name is given by your guide as they see a certain quality of god within you, a wazifa, they can also change over time. Thats my best answer.