• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assisted Suicide Passes in Supreme Court

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
sushannah said:
If people can find a way to abuse this, they will. This , and the fact that life is precious, are my main objections. Diagnostic test have been known to be wrong. What about G-d - anyone out there believe that G-d can still heal? Even when the prognosis is extremely bad?

okay, well then why let doctors try to help anyone at all? If God alone can fix it, then why do we need doctors in the first place?

Bishka

Veteran Member
sushannah said:
If people can find a way to abuse this, they will. This , and the fact that life is precious, are my main objections. Diagnostic test have been known to be wrong. What about G-d - anyone out there believe that G-d can still heal? Even when the prognosis is extremely bad?
I believe God can heal, but we shouldn't not use doctors, they are there to help us.:)

Eynah

I'm very torn in this issue. I'm always in the mind to let people decide, most of the time, but this seems like it's a step into also letting people just have assisted suicide, terminally ill or not. I guess that it's their choice, but I know that I would not want the option open to me. I've had times where that seems like the only answer, and had the option been opened, that could have been a result.

Admittedly, it's not something they'd probably let minors do. However, I still get bouts of bad depression, and I doubt that this will be the end of me wanting death at times. Maybe if they start doing that, they should allow people to "Not actually have doctor-supported suicide if they've signed this thing that states they are critically depressed and should instead have other options presented, including a kick in the shin."

sushannah

beckysoup61 said:
I believe God can heal, but we shouldn't not use doctors, they are there to help us.:)
When did I say we shouldn't use doctors? I'm just fishing for some opinions, trying to find out if people really have any faith that G-d can perform miracles in these kinds of situations.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Eynah said:
I'm very torn in this issue. I'm always in the mind to let people decide, most of the time, but this seems like it's a step into also letting people just have assisted suicide, terminally ill or not. I guess that it's their choice, but I know that I would not want the option open to me. I've had times where that seems like the only answer, and had the option been opened, that could have been a result.

Admittedly, it's not something they'd probably let minors do. However, I still get bouts of bad depression, and I doubt that this will be the end of me wanting death at times. Maybe if they start doing that, they should allow people to "Not actually have doctor-supported suicide if they've signed this thing that states they are critically depressed and should instead have other options presented, including a kick in the shin."
I'll make a deal with you; I'll kick you in the shins, if you kick me.:D

My greatest problem with this notion is abuse. Most of the law we have is aimed at preventing any form of abuse. This would go against that.

Bangbang

retrorich said:
It's a step in the right direction. But professionally assisted suicide should be available to any mentally competent adult--not just to people with terminal diseases.

FREE DR. KEVORKIAN!!!!!!
DITTO!

ch'ang

artist in training
No matter what the condition people should be allowed to take their own life, reason being its their life and their choice. I nor anyone else has the right to say that someone must life even if they want to die. Did you know that it is illegal to attempt suicide, you are put in a mental asylum for an indeterminate time, would it be unreasonable to think that their life really was that bad and they should be put in an asylum if they don't take their lives? I have known a lot of people that have nothing to live for all their relatives are dead, lost their house and friends because of drug addiction, have repeatedly come out of rehab sober and then went right back to heavy drugs, they have had hardly any chance of earning an honest income because of their multiple convictions, the list could go on. I personally would never take my own life or any others but it should be up to the person who is doing the living not a bunch of bureaucrats putting their personal morals into law. On the topic of people abusing it, there is potential to abuse any civil liberty when you give people any kind of freedom there will be some that abuse it, does that mean we should take away freedom of speech?