• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aslan

Nehustan

We all know that Aslan makes an appearance in the Narnia books, and it if often cited that the Lion represents the Christ figure. Aslan of course is the Turkish word for Lion, and given the given writing period is in the early 1950's there can be little doubt of Lewis' knowledge of what we will here call the Levant and the religions therein. I make this assumption premised on one of Lewis' students who became a friend, Martin Lings. It is often cited that Lewis borrowed symbol from Northern European folklore, and really my thread here is to do with the rune for ice and it obvious connection with the Arabic word for the prophet Jesus. I find myself wondering if the connection is mere coincedence, or as with the naming of the lion direct allusion? Thoughts?

Francine

It is often cited that Lewis borrowed symbol from Northern European folklore, and really my thread here is to do with the rune for ice and it obvious connection with the Arabic word for the prophet Jesus.

Aslan's Country has mountains thousands of feet high, but without snow and ice. The plot of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe concerns itself with the end of a hundred-year long winter, and the melting of ice. So ice may be a metaphor for sin, and it retreats before Aslan.