• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Asking questions as a believer (all faiths included)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some times i come across people who seem (they may not say it) to think asking questions toward our own belief is either wrong or bad to do. So i was thinking. Well i want to learn as much as possible, not only read and say ok i know the text, but i want to understand the meaning of it.
I do not say we should critique God or prophets or other believers, But asking why do someone believe this, or why do some customs lead to certain way of practice lead to so big differences within the same faith?

The more we ask our self why things are as they are, and observe others but not critique them as people. maybe we can learn from every human being we meet in life.

Any thoughts?

Shakeel

No examples. I've asked you before what kind of questions. You didn't answer anything decisive. There are questions that are permitted and those that are not permitted for a Muslim.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No examples. I've asked you before what kind of questions. You didn't answer anything decisive. There are questions that are permitted and those that are not permitted for a Muslim.
Questions like, Why do some muslims believe a certain way, whereas others do not believe the same but still belong to Islam.

If a person believe in a religion (not just Islam) do they have to believe as a slave and can not think for them self?

Why is it so big difference in male and female in some religions?

What will God/Allah think if i do this? Will he punish me for thinking for my self?

Why does the teachings often have contradicting messages throughout the teaching?

And maybe a 100 more different questions

Last edited:

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Do you care to give some examples of questions which aren't permitted for a muslim?

I ask, because I can't for the life of me imagine any valid rational reason for why a question about anything shouldn't be permitted in any circumstance regardless of context and what-not.

Seems to me that questions can only lead to learning, which is always a good thing. No?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The quran do say as one example (probably there are more answers than this one)

“ O you who believe! Do not put questions about things which if declared to you may trouble you, and if you question about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they shall be declared to you; Allah has pardoned of this, and Allah is Forgiving, Forbearing.” (5:101)

Shakeel

Questions like, Why do some muslims believe a certain way, whereas others do not believe the same but calll still belong to Islam.
I don't know if that's supposed to say can belong or say they belong, but that's because many people are ignorant of their religion and others don't want to accept it so they choose to call themselves something different — something that allows them (socially) to call themselves Muslims without fulfilling the obligations of a Muslim.

Everyone is a slave of Allah, a Muslim is a servant as well. Islam doesn't forbid using one's brain. Rather when one is sincere and studies Islam, he will find nothing but truth in it.

If you mean, can you decide to disbelieve in something that is fundamental in Islam or something that a Muslim, by evidence, must believe, then the answer is no.
Why is it so big difference in male and female in some religions?
One could elaborate on the wisdom behind that but ultimately it is because Allah made it so and we don't need to understand the reasons to accept it.
What will God/Allah think if i do this? Will he punish me for thinking for my self?
Do what? Is there evidence from Islam that He would punish you for the said thing?

You can ask an Islamic scholar directly, is it okay for me to believe, think or do so-and-so?
Why does the teachings often have contradicting messages throughout the teaching?
If you study Islam from authentic sources, you will find no contradictions. If you think you do, you have to study further to solve the question.

I don't know if any of these are forbidden, but many of them can make you look foolish and even like a hypocrite. Rather than ask too many questions you should read and not say everything that comes to your mind. Some words, especially online, you say them once, they're out there forever.
You are likely to regret later for not being patient and revealing every doubt that crosses your mind.

Some questions are from shaytan and they shouldn't be dwelled on.

If you have a coherent smart question — not one that can be easily solved through Google — you should ask them from Islamic scholars, not random Muslims and non-Muslim.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

For me, that's both disappointing and concerning.

darkskies

In some cultures, asking questions is seen as talking back to elders, challenging well established ideas, disrespect.
People dare not ask a religiously knowledgeable person to change their words.
Questions are asked in hushed tones, and many a time left unanswered, given no further thought as "divine words" or whatever.
They think: "we are nothing in front of them, it is not for us to ask or understand, but only to accept".
Gaslighted all their lives.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
and the Carpenter spoke of things soon to pass......
and His follower took Him to one side to ask....
You are the Son of God.....why do you speak of such endings?
Why must this be so?

and the Carpenter rebuked him......GET THEE BEHIND ME ! Satan!

must have scared the man to shaking

a flush of red......followed by ten shades of pale

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The quran do say as one example (probably there are more answers than this one)

“ O you who believe! Do not put questions about things which if declared to you may trouble you, and if you question about them while the Qur'an is being revealed, they shall be declared to you; Allah has pardoned of this, and Allah is Forgiving, Forbearing.” (5:101)

Sound advice, frankly: don't ask questions that you aren't prepared to deal with the answers to. Or at least that's what it sounds like this is saying. It is less of a 'don't ask questions' and more of a 'don't ask questions if doing so is going to cause you distress.'

And, when it comes to asking questions on religion - one's way of life and deepest values and traditions - well, there's a lot of potential for distress there.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sound advice, frankly: don't ask questions that you aren't prepared to deal with the answers to. Or at least that's what it sounds like this is saying. It is less of a 'don't ask questions' and more of a 'don't ask questions if doing so is going to cause you distress.'

And, when it comes to asking questions on religion - one's way of life and deepest values and traditions - well, there's a lot of potential for distress there.
My understanding of the verse is similar to your understanding :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
My religion doesn't have a scripture or prophets so to speak, not in the way that Abrahamic faiths have. Throughout Kemet (Egypt) there were different 'cult' centres. The same gods were used, but a certain one may be seen as the Creator God in one city, another in another city and so on. There are four defined creation myths. None of them seemed to be in conflict or cause any trouble. The gods/manifestations/emanations (to me they are all manifestations of Amun-Re, the One) are also fluid, not static. For instance, chickens were unknown in early Egypt, but later they were introduced and seen as a good enough offering to Re (or 'Ra').

Questioning is therefore permitted, as this religion, as I see it, just offers us a metaphorical/spiritual/figurative view of the gods/manifestations and the world, how it all goes, rather than absolute truths. I'm not sure anyone actually believed that Re travelled in a literal sun-boat across the horizon - it's clearly a poetic interpretation of the Sun.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Some times i come across people who seem (they may not say it) to think asking questions toward our own belief is either wrong or bad to do. So i was thinking. Well i want to learn as much as possible, not only read and say ok i know the text, but i want to understand the meaning of it.
I do not say we should critique God or prophets or other believers, But asking why do someone believe this, or why do some customs lead to certain way of practice lead to so big differences within the same faith?

The more we ask our self why things are as they are, and observe others but not critique them as people. maybe we can learn from every human being we meet in life.

Any thoughts?

There are many kinds of questions though, from practical to incredibly deep.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What distress Allah was talking about? Was it that a Muslim may not like the question and behead you?
Any thoughts?
It is absolutely necessary to question all things and take nothing for granted. The first one to ask me to question was Bertrand Russell. Then, Buddha's 'Kesamutti Sutta' became my beacon. Later, it was 'Advaita' (non-duality) which showed me the way.
.. and the Carpenter rebuked him .. GET THEE BEHIND ME ! Satan!
Seems like both the Christian God and Muslim Allah do not like questions.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is true :) deep questions are very important in my understanding. and follow up questions is good too

There are two other factors to consider ... who is asking? and who is answering? There can be several levels on each side. If you wanted to ask a question about the geography of western Canada you'd better ask me, rather than your Sufi teacher. Bloom's taxonomy is helpful to educators.

Academy of Art University - Different Types of Questions based on Bloom's Taxonomy