• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask the poster above you a question!

robtex

Veteran Member
Ken, I came from philosphyforums.com and sciforums.com The debating theory there was one where ad hominems were readlily accepted and debates in the religious and political sections many times were quickly converted into personal bickering matches. Not that all the debates were poor but it was hard to have a serious debate. The structure of RF is one that promotes debate over bickering and I felt it was a better investement of my time.

Pmouse why did you choose to stay catholic and do you accept Jesus as your personal savior or would be more accurate to say you socially and culturally accept Christianty as your medium to your spirtual side?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Robtex,

I noticed you consider yourself a UU as well as an atheist. Do you believe in a combo of the two or do you lean more to one more than the other?

Also, do you attend a UU church?

robtex

Veteran Member
UU was instrumental in my atheism. UU is kinda complexed to explain but it is a methodolody of study of metaphyiscal topics and religious history. There is no required faith no doctrine no dogma but a strong practice of religious understanding. A shift in belief in UU is not seen as a loss of faith but rather as a spirtual growth within the system even when it is a shift towards non-theism. In addition it is a large protagonist of religious tolerance which I personally agree with.

Dawny in your estimation can an atheist be a morally inclinded indivdual even if he/she has a lack of belief in a higher power? If so why if not why not?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
robtex said:
UU was instrumental in my atheism. UU is kinda complexed to explain but it is a methodolody of study of metaphyiscal topics and religious history. There is no required faith no doctrine no dogma but a strong practice of religious understanding. A shift in belief in UU is not seen as a loss of faith but rather as a spirtual growth within the system even when it is a shift towards non-theism. In addition it is a large protagonist of religious tolerance which I personally agree with.

Dawny in your estimation can an atheist be a morally inclinded indivdual even if he/she has a lack of belief in a higher power? If so why if not why not?
Absolutely, I believe that an atheist can be morally inclined. There are good people in this world who don't believe as I do. (Many on these forums. :))

standing_alone

Next question for you: You listed agnostic but more atheist....what is an agnostic, to you an atheist to you and why are you an agnostic as opposed to an atheist?
You like to ask questions that result in complex answers. :D Well, I guess agnostic, to me, is sort of being skeptical, you know, there could be a god, there could not be a god - we can't know for certain. I lean more towards there's probably not a god - since I see atheism as I'm sure most others do, as a belief that there is/are no god(s). So I guess I call myself agnostic because I'm open to the possibility there is a god, but I'm more atheist because I highly doubt there is a god (and probably would never acknowledge any god as existing) - so I'm pretty much an atheist, I guess, but I still believe in the minute possibility that a god could exist (although highly unlikely), therefore I also lable myself as agnostic. I hope you can make some sense of this seemingly incoherent rambling.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
robtex said:
I am thinking that was the Chick Nate was referring to. It was the one I saw him as referring to....famous fella in the Christian circles. Vic, what are a few of the things that drew you to catholism over protestant religions?
The one thing that pops to mind is that it has a real solution to relativism on every level. I am of the opinion that relativistic societies don't work and are bound for destruction and disunity. The Catholic Church offers the opposite of that.

Standing_alone, what was the first sign that told you that you were homosexual?

standing_alone

Standing_alone, what was the first sign that told you that you were homosexual?
Attraction to the same gender, of course! :D

Well, since puberty, you know when you start to develop crushes on your peers, well, the vast majority of mine were on girls. I fought against this, since I thought homosexuality was wrong because of religion, and didn't come to accept my sexual orientation for a couple of years. I remember when I finally accepted I was homosexual, was one night when I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep, and I was bothering myself over my orienatation, and then I realized that I was homosexual. That's when I first accepted it. That was about a year and a half ago. I didn't come out until October 11, 2005, though.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Thread revival time again! :D

Alyssa.......

How old were you when you went to Germany and was that the first time you drank in public?

standing_alone

Buttercup said:
How old were you when you went to Germany and was that the first time you drank in public?

I went to Germany when I was sixteen years old and no, it was not the first time I drank in public.

Rhonda,

What do you think of the concept of Hell? ;)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
standing_alone said:
Rhonda,
What do you think of the concept of Hell? ;)
LOL! What a timely question my dear Alyssa.

Hell friggin stinks and is a major rip off. I think it's a figment of some meglomaniac's imagination to keep people in line and the donations coming in.

Hacker

I hope this wasn't asked since I didn't read the whole thread yet but I AM curious Buttercup about your decision to convert from Christianity...what religions interest you or which religion are you thinking about converting to?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
tlcmel said:
I hope this wasn't asked since I didn't read the whole thread yet but I AM curious Buttercup about your decision to convert from Christianity...what religions interest you or which religion are you thinking about converting to?
You know Melanie, I have no idea at the moment. :p I am simply open to whatever words, thoughts or deeds I receive that sound true, good or possible about who God could be. It's a fun time though....and so much guilt has been lifted from my shoulders. I used to feel like I was never good enough, never did enough, never had enough faith. But, now, I am happy to just be. I hope this makes at least a little sense.

I forgot how this works......Am I supposed to ask you a question now?

Melanie, are you married? If so, for how long and where did you meet your husband? :)

If that's too personal......Do you plan on getting any more pets?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Rhonda,

(No, you aren't supposed to ask Melanie a question. I'm supposed to ask you one. Then someone's supposed to ask me one.)

I know you live in Oregon. Where in Oregon do you live? Is it anywhere near the coast? I think the Oregon coast is the most incredibly beautiful part of the United States. Are you a native Oregonian?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Katzpur said:
Rhonda,

(No, you aren't supposed to ask Melanie a question. I'm supposed to ask you one. Then someone's supposed to ask me one.)

I know you live in Oregon. Where in Oregon do you live? Is it anywhere near the coast? I think the Oregon coast is the most incredibly beautiful part of the United States. Are you a native Oregonian?
I live in Eugene which is about an hour East of the coast. :)
Eugene-Oregon.jpg

No, I'm not a native Oregonian but I've lived here for 20 years now and consider it my home for good. Was born in California and grew up a beach girl in Huntington Beach. Went to school with Michele Phieffer at Fountain Valley High.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Kat, I've got a question for you!

Did you go see any of the Winter Olympics events when the games were held in Salt Lake back in '02?

If so, which events?

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
‡Âlãn‡ said:
Vass... Why foxes?

Quite simply, I feel foxes have a great many qualities that I admire and feel are positive for me to attempt to emulate (in an interpretive, human way, I suppose) in my life. They are clever, resourceful, persistent and supremely adaptable, amongst many other things. Honestly, I could talk about foxes all day.

That, and they are super cute. :D

lunamoth

Will to love
Revasser said:
Quite simply, I feel foxes have a great many qualities that I admire and feel are positive for me to attempt to emulate (in an interpretive, human way, I suppose) in my life. They are clever, resourceful, persistent and supremely adaptable, amongst many other things. Honestly, I could talk about foxes all day.

That, and they are super cute. :D
Revasser, what is your occupation? :)

luna

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
lunamoth said:
Revasser, what is your occupation? :)

luna
I work at a supermarket, usually evenings and nights. :p

Not the most prestigious job, but the work is easy and the pay is decent.

I also volunteer at a local animal shelter.

Now someone ask Luna a question! :D