• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Me Stuff

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I asked you here many ages ago ('bout when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I think) about Rabbi Cherki...do you want his email address to pester him with questions in French?

And on a different subject, was dipping in water known as a purification method in ancient Egypt?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Since I asked you here many ages ago ('bout when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I think) about Rabbi Cherki...do you want his email address to pester him with questions in French?
That's a wonderful offer but I'll pass for now :D

And on a different subject, was dipping in water known as a purification method in ancient Egypt?
Dipping specifically in water, such as one would in a mikveh or in a full body baptism, doesn't seem to be mentioned and after a quick double check I can't find it, or at least I've not seen it; usually natron was also used for purification. But there are things like this,

"Afterward, from the New Kingdom until the Greco-Roman period, the motif of the king being purified by two or four gods is quite well attested. The stylization of the scene is notable: The water streaming out of the jars of the gods is constituted in most cases by hieroglyphic signs in the shape of “life” (''nh") and “dominion” ("ws"). The positive effects that the purification should produce are made quite obvious thereby."

"He [Herodotus] indicates that the Egyptians were very much concerned with purity, even cleaning the bronze beaker on a daily basis, wearing freshly washed linen garments, practicing circumcision for purity, and requiring that the priest shave his whole body daily and wear only a linen garment and sandals made of papyms[?], in addition to washing twice a day and twice a night with cold water. They were not allowed to eat fish and beans (2.37)."

I've come across sprinkling, full body standing wash, general bathing etc. It's possible that in the 3,000 years of AE history it could have been used and not recorded, or lost.

You'll see in here (I own this book, too) a basic purification rite based on ancient sources Following the Sun: A Practical Guide to Egyptian Religion, Revised Edition - Sharon LaBorde - Google Books

It usually involves basic washing, either with vessels or shower/bath, shaving (both male and female), breath freshening and clean clothing.

I have found this useful on the subject Quack_Conceptions_of_Purity_2013.pdf (uni-heidelberg.de)

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Horus video that I watched (in that your other thread) said that little was known about the rites of Horus involving the Pharoah -- that the rites were secretive.
They were. The only folks allowed in the temples were priests, Pharaoh, and other such functionaries, as well; it's not well-attested what a lot of these rites involved and when the AEs wrote things, it seems a lot of it was more like lecture notes than full instruction.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I asked you on post 118 and didn't get an answer :(

"Do you tend to have more of a negative attitude as a general rule each day or a positive one"?

It's okay, don't feel pressured to answer if you don't want to. :p

Also,
Would you rather be a bonsai tree or an oak tree? :D

What is the best quality you have, that you don't think will ever help you make money or hold a job? :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I asked you on post 118 and didn't get an answer :(

"Do you tend to have more of a negative attitude as a general rule each day or a positive one"?

It's okay, don't feel pressured to answer if you don't want to. :p

Also,

What is the best quality you have, that you don't think will ever help you make money or hold a job? :)
What's the strangest thing you've ever stepped on?
I'm in bed rn but I'll answer you guys later today :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Positive, even though I'm drepessed. It's odd.

Oak!

I love easily. Sometimes too easily.

What's the strangest thing you've ever stepped on?
Not sure. One time I was going to the toilet, which was an outhouse, in the dark and accidentally kicked what my mind interpreted as a fluffy football with a bell in it. It was the neighbour's cat.