• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask me about aphonia

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Wow, many more drawbacks than me but you seem to be handling it well. Must be a real pain to have a disability thrown at you like that.

Im dyslexic and have been forever (i counted). I keep cards handy for when name, address, phone, email is asked for, sometimes i have problems with roadsigns, printed instructions etc. Typing is a long process (but faster than writing) and a bugger when autocorrect chooses the wrong word when i mistype.

I hadn’t considered how useful cards would be for dyslexia and giving information that better not be transposed; that’s clever even ^.^

Oof and I hear you on autocorrect (for different reasons), if I’m typing way too fast, such as when excited or angry or shivering from cold or just anything like that, the same thing happens.

Dyslexia sounds difficult. But life’s gonna have to swing at us harder than that to knock us down a notch ^.^ <3

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've had a long path to recovery, too. I've had to overcome a sort of learning disorder and emotional challenges, all because I did things like Google how much caffeine is too much and then regularly try to hit that rather impossible limit. Being in the hospital and regaining sanity, but realizing I wasn't the same person any more.... to use an analogy, I guess it was like Anakin Skywalker when he woke up with a half-robot body.

We Never Know

No Slack
I occasionally have some, but it is very hoarse and never very loud. So this would actually be called dysphonia, but it’s usually aphonia both because this is unreliable and because I choose not to speak because it doesn’t sound pretty.

If I may ask, what happened that you have that?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Pros: I’ve been a really true to form Ariel (The Little Mermaid) for several Halloweens!

uhhhhh… I can annoy people less! No, that’s not true. I find ways… I will always find ways, insert evil laughter.

Ooh yes. Annoying thing: I can’t control when I laugh, and sometimes laughs are dysphonic instead of aphonic and I get real self-conscious. @ChristineM actually this is a big one, the unintentional dysphonic embarrasment.

A lady who lives nearby has a wonderful voice, sings in a choir. But when she laughs, imagine a hyena with the volume up to 12.

She avoids village meetings where humour might break out.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I'm really bored, and I was thinking how funny it was as I stepped out to smoke that I still instinctively point at any cat and mouth "you are a cat." (Clearly it is the law that you must tell cats that they are cats. Duh). It's little things like this that we don't often consciously think about.
What about puppy cats? You know, cats that kinda act like they're a dog?

So I figured if people have questions about aphonia, here is the place to ask. Why not.
So it is declaring something is what it is? Or the act of speaking/mouthing it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm really bored, and I was thinking how funny it was as I stepped out to smoke that I still instinctively point at any cat and mouth "you are a cat." (Clearly it is the law that you must tell cats that they are cats. Duh). It's little things like this that we don't often consciously think about.

So I figured if people have questions about aphonia, here is the place to ask. Why not.
You're every man's dream...a fecund woman who can't talk.

Oh, come on!
Most of you were thinking of saying it.

ChristineM

Premium Member
You're every man's dream...a fecund woman who can't talk.

Oh, come on!
Most of you were thinking of saying it.
tumblr_inline_mpbfaqIZF81qz4rgp540.gif

ChristineM

Premium Member
Another non-speaker, eh.

There is something of a difference between a non speaker and someone struck dumb at the bloody idiocy (even if it was written in humour)

I always feel of men make such bold and ignorant statements it's because they are so far under the thumb at home. Good on Mrs Revolt

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
There is something of a difference between a non speaker and someone struck dumb at the bloody idiocy (even if it was written in humour)

I always feel of men make such bold and ignorant statements it's because they are so far under the thumb at home. Good on Mrs Revolt

I mean, I do understand why Mrs. Revoltingest lets Revoltingest spend all this time posting. She'd rather us deal with it than her. :)