• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Angellous - 2014 edition

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

Well in light of all the things that you can guess about your beloved Angellous -- why not just ask him?

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Why does it irritate you when Christians think they are cool? I, for example, am tres cool. Notice how I used the French word tres for 'very.' See, tres cool. :cool:
I've wondered that myself.

I also want to know if that demon possessed video story is true.... so, I'm asking again. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

I am thinking specifically of evangelical Christians.

And yes, the demon possession "tape" is very real. I now have it in digital form from an old friend - long story short, he was in the department and the original film student asked him to edit a digital copy before he died, so now I have it in .m4v format. Obviously I have reservations about sharing it. I mean, one can imagine that IF there is any danger in it, sharing it online could cause a lot of damage.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
And yes, the demon possession "tape" is very real. I now have it in digital form from an old friend - long story short, he was in the department and the original film student asked him to edit a digital copy before he died, so now I have it in .m4v format. Obviously I have reservations about sharing it. I mean, one can imagine that IF there is any danger in it, sharing it online could cause a lot of damage.
:eek: Holy crap. Please excuse my irreverence. In that case, I'm very sorry for any pain the viewing of that film caused you. Some of the coincidences are very odd, but sad first, of course.

There's no way I'd want to see it ,as intriguing as it sounds.

A

angellous_evangellous

:eek: Holy crap. Please excuse my irreverence. In that case, I'm very sorry for any pain the viewing of that film caused you. Some of the coincidences are very odd, but sad first, of course.

There's no way I'd want to see it ,as intriguing as it sounds.

There are a lot of coincidences. The most puzzling perhaps is that I and one other guy have been fine. So six people saw it, and four died within two weeks (if memory serves) + my neighbor's wife, whose only connection to it was being found dead where the film was shown. And maybe she viewed it beforehand (who knows).

Anyway, it creeps me out to think of it all, but really the only thing the video taught me was to respect evil. That's all.

Aquitaine

There are a lot of coincidences. The most puzzling perhaps is that I and one other guy have been fine. So six people saw it, and four died within two weeks (if memory serves) + my neighbor's wife, whose only connection to it was being found dead where the film was shown. And maybe she viewed it beforehand (who knows).

Anyway, it creeps me out to think of it all, but really the only thing the video taught me was to respect evil. That's all.

Now you're making me curious. :yes:

A

angellous_evangellous

You mentioned you don't believe in demons, per se. Why? What about Satan?

I focus on Christ. I believe that evil exists, but instead of voyaging into the heart of darkness I relentlessly hope for the good.

A

angellous_evangellous

What denomination, if any, are you?

What is your favorite translation of the Bible?

I'm a Baptist minister.

Favorite translations:
NIV for its fluidity in English - I use it for preaching
ESV for its literal nature - I use this for study
Oxford NRSV Annotated - strong English translation, great notes - I use this for teaching

I pretty much make fun of the rest. :D

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I can't remember if I asked you this years ago, but I'll try again just in case I didn't. :D

Mary Boyce, an authority on Zoroastrianism, theorizes that the Jews were influenced greatly by this religion during their 50 year exile in Babylonia. As you may know, the Zoroastrian savior is to be supposed to be born of a virgin. What do you think?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I'm a Baptist minister.

Favorite translations:
NIV for its fluidity in English - I use it for preaching
ESV for its literal nature - I use this for study
Oxford NRSV Annotated - strong English translation, great notes - I use this for teaching

I pretty much make fun of the rest. :D

Wow..so no KJV? I was raised Southern Baptist and this version is practically the Holy Grail.

A

angellous_evangellous

I can't remember if I asked you this years ago, but I'll try again just in case I didn't. :D

Mary Boyce, an authority on Zoroastrianism, theorizes that the Jews were influenced greatly by this religion during their 50 year exile in Babylonia. As you may know, the Zoroastrian savior is to be supposed to be born of a virgin. What do you think?

There's an important leap to make, and that is how did this get from Zoroastrianism to Christianity? The link is rather tenuous because Jews were not expecting a virgin birth, so the idea did not go from Z to Judaism to Christianity. There were many other religions that taught of a virgin birth, and it is from this amalgamation of religions that the Christian virgin birth came from ... that is, Christians borrowed the idea of purity and divinity from it and created a new virgin story that suited them.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
There's an important leap to make, and that is how did this get from Zoroastrianism to Christianity? The link is rather tenuous because Jews were not expecting a virgin birth, so the idea did not go from Z to Judaism to Christianity. There were many other religions that taught of a virgin birth, and it is from this amalgamation of religions that the Christian virgin birth came from ... that is, Christians borrowed the idea of purity and divinity from it and created a new virgin story that suited them.
Whoa. You heretic, you. :D I like it, an independent thinker.

A

angellous_evangellous

Wow! Not-so-subtle distain and an outdated referene!?!

You. Are. The. Man! :D

*P.S., this not me being snide towards your comment. I just want to clarify that.

haha - I get it. The KJV is an elegant translation. I'm not a fan of its textual theory... but then again the NIV textual theory is downright looney tunes.