• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask About Islam

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ok, so how do you understand the "eating pork is prohibited" rule, and on what grounds do you justify that interpretation?
A Muslim should not eat pork, due to it is seen as dirty. And should avoid eating it, if a Muslim do eat it by accident it is forgiven.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
That is not what I said :) an atheist will have other viewpoints, but often it seems like some atheist does not listen very well.

Oh I get that you see it that way, but that is not generally the case. Atheists just see things very differently from most theists, and some theists seem to struggle with this.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
Yes, indeed.
Prophet Muhammad, peace be with him, had a great responsibility.
Lot more than the likes of me.

According to my understanding, Islam is a "middle way".
The prophet SAW could not be seen as to punish one with hand amputation, and another with a warning for the same offence .. even if it was his own flesh & blood.
He was impartial, and carried out his duty to the letter.
So you admit that as far a Muhammad was concerned, there was no scope for interpretation or nuance. If you are guilty of theft, the hand comes off. End of story.

However, we have been given intelligence.
Not everyone has, that is abundantly clear.

If we are responsible for law and order, we need a balance.
Balance between what? Implementing the rules according to Allah, and not implementing them? Seems to make a mockery of the claim that Allah and his final message is perfect and unchangeable, don't you think?

It is not reasonable to go around cutting people's hands off for every offence of theft,
Muhammad thought it was reasonable. Who are you to question his judgement?

and there are also hadiths that support this.
Cool. References please.

It is also not reasonable to have a system where people commit theft on a regular basis and are in and out of prison. The righteous suffer from an ineffective system, and we should not be afraid of addressing these issues with the appropriate penalty.
I suppose it is an extension of the capital punishment controversy.
The issue isn't about anyone else judicial system. It is about Islam's predilection for torture and mutilation.

KWED

I don't feel uncomfortable in the slightest.
You simply don't know what you are talking about.

You just quote translated verses without proper knowledge and understanding.
You can carry on insinuating that religious people are all hypocrites, and G-d knows best about the intentions of us all.
If you think that your opinions are somehow supposed to promote tolerance and understanding in the world, then G-d save us from such "peacemakers" as yourself.
Yet once again, I presented a detailed argument, with multiple references, about a specific claim you made and you simply ignore it and respond with red herrings.

Why not reply again to my post in full, addressing every part of my argument and all the references. If I am misquoting or misinterpreting passages, you will be able to show that.
(This is where you claim that you could, but you can't be bothered because it is futile trying to talk to people like me because I am close-minded, or something like that ;))

It must be awful not being able to defend your beliefs, yet still feeling obliged to defend them.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I used to struggle with the some atheists arroganse (sic) but not any more

How very broad minded of you. I long ago came to terms with the arrogance of many theistic claims and beliefs, and how blind many theists seem to be to these. I tend to laugh now when they make claims like humans are not animals, or humans are unique among all living things, or the claims of faux humility, just after they claim to have access to esoteric absolute truths, that others are unable to see, but for which they can demonstrate no objective evidence, or any rational argument. Or the unabashed way they use selection bias, to decide which scientific facts they will accept. All very humble I'm sure.

KWED

A bad argument.
Why should somebody study in depth something that they don't think is true, and only seeks to mislead?
Wait, so you actually believe that evolution does not happen, and many thousands of expert scientists over the last 150 years, as well as biology teachers and doctors, have been trying to mislead the world?
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How very broad minded of you. I long ago came to terms with the arrogance of many theistic claims and beliefs, and how blind many theists seem to be to these. I tend to laugh now when they make claims like humans are not animals, or humans are unique among all living things, or the claims of faux humility, just after they claim to have access to esoteric absolute truths, that others are unable to see, but for which they can demonstrate no objective evidence, or any rational argument. Or the unabashed way they use selection bias, to decide which scientific facts they will accept. All very humble I'm sure.
Your laughter does not bother me.....

KWED

..until we die, and then we are just dead meat?
Correct. When all electro-chemical activity in the brain stops, the "mind" is gone. We are just a big sack of organic material.

I appreciate that some people find that fact terrifying and will believe anyone who promises them extra time. However, following that pipe dream just means that you might not be making the most of the limited time you have here - although once you're dead your life only matters to the people you leave behind. You're dead!

KWED

Oh atheists are welcome to both discussion and debates, there is just one thing some atheists has to learn before it becomes interesting to discuss or debate with them.

To listen to what is actually being said by the believer.
irony-meter.gif

As is repeatedly demonstrated on here, atheists will go through a religionist's post and address every point raised with rational argument and evidence.
The religionist generally ignores all or most of it and responds with something irrelevant or just dogmatic platitudes.
You are certainly guilty of this.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
irony-meter.gif

As is repeatedly demonstrated on here, atheists will go through a religionist's post and address every point raised with rational argument and evidence.
The religionist generally ignores all or most of it and responds with something irrelevant or just dogmatic platitudes.
You are certainly guilty of this.
Well I ignore atheists attempts on making a personal belief in to what atheists think it is, and coments that has no value.

Atheists i dont ignore is @ChristineM and @Unveiled Artist

Last edited:

muhammad_isa

It must be awful not being able to defend your beliefs, yet still feeling obliged to defend them.
Ad hominum.

Why do I have to defend my beliefs?
I can believe whatever I like, as can you.

You appear to have intentions of showing how billions of Muslims believe in a foolish book, and are irrational.
Is that the way to establish peace in the world? No !

You may prod and goad as much as you like.
I have no need of such tactics, as I have the truth.
It speaks for itself :)

muhammad_isa

Wait, so you actually believe that evolution does not happen, and many thousands of expert scientists over the last 150 years, as well as biology teachers and doctors, have been trying to mislead the world?
Talk sense, or remain silent?

muhammad_isa

Correct. When all electro-chemical activity in the brain stops, the "mind" is gone. We are just a big sack of organic material.

I appreciate that some people find that fact terrifying and will believe anyone who promises them extra time.
Actually, I find it a lot more terrifying the thought of finding myself aware once more at some time after death.
Who likes failure?

If I thought that there was nothing after death, I would not be speaking to you now. I would have ended my life long ago.
What a wonderful thought, oblivion. All the misery of this life ending.

Pity it's not true, is it not? :)

Birdnest

To be fair, this phenomenon seems not uncommon with English speaking converts. Watch videos of people like Tim Humble and Abdulraheem Green. Despite being white British, they sound like they are from the Middle East and English is a second language. Obviously an affectation, but odd nonetheless.
Or maybe they know that there are many ways to build sentences in english.