• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask a gnostic about stuff

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Well, can you tell us what your beliefs are? Gnosticism is a very broad category.

Sure.

Essentially I believe that God is the ground of all being, the underlying oneness, and that he/she is the great light. We would call God loving, in our human speech, because he contains everything without condition.

I believe that knowledge and insight will lead one to discover this wholeness. I also think prayer, meditation, and various observances can assist in elevating the mind toward God, but they're no more than that.

I think we are souls having a human experience, and that all the dross of the material will fall away at death. There will only be how near we are to union with the light, or how far we must continue.

Any other questions? Please feel free...

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sure.

Essentially I believe that God is the ground of all being, the underlying oneness, and that he/she is the great light. We would call God loving, in our human speech, because he contains everything without condition.

I believe that knowledge and insight will lead one to discover this wholeness. I also think prayer, meditation, and various observances can assist in elevating the mind toward God, but they're no more than that.

I think we are souls having a human experience, and that all the dross of the material will fall away at death. There will only be how near we are to union with the light, or how far we must continue.

Any other questions? Please feel free...

Do you view the physical realm as something negative to be escaped from?

I assume you are a monotheist. Well we lose our individuality and be absorbed into God?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Do you view the physical realm as something negative to be escaped from?

I assume you are a monotheist. Well we lose our individuality and be absorbed into God?

I think the physical realm is negative in that it can be deceptive. I don't think life in general is bad, but we need to keep our focus.

I don't think we lose ourselves entirely, just the aspects that are illusion to begin with like the need to seek pleasure and so on.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I'm a monotheist in that I recognize only the highest as God I suppose, but I recognize there are many realms, and some of them have beings people have called deities.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Your form of Gnosticism is very similar to the Dharmic religions. I used to be into Gnosticism. Just recently I went through a period of that, actually. But it ended up being too negative, to be honest. I just don't see how you can be very positive about life when you view this world as an illusion or a trap to escape from or transcend.

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
Your form of Gnosticism is very similar to the Dharmic religions. I used to be into Gnosticism. Just recently I went through a period of that, actually. But it ended up being too negative, to be honest. I just don't see how you can be very positive about life when you view this world as an illusion or a trap to escape from or transcend.

The dharmic religions have a lot of truth. I actually consider Buddhism to be gnostic by the sheer meaning of the word.

I don't find it negative personally at all. Its freed me from a lot of the unfair expectations I used to place on things, as well as other things. To each their own :)

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I have a few. :)

1.) Who are the Demiurge and Sohpia? Or they "evil"? Is Sophia worshiped?

2.) What is your favorite Gnostic Gospel?

3.) Conversely, what is your favorite book from the Bible?

4.) Material is generally considered lesser than spiritual, correct? If that is so, does that mean that things like love, enjoying life, and nature are considered non-valuable?

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
The demiurge in my view is all the false views that people attach to God such as human anthropomorphisms. The Sophia is just the Holy Spirit

Thomas is my favorite gnostic gospel, and Psalms my favorite Biblical book, or did you mean gospel?

As for the material world, I would only call it bad or lower to the degree it can deceive a person. Through contemplation one can also glean accurate insight from it. I love nature :)

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual
I mostly read supernatural or adventure. I also read a lot of Buddhist, Christian, eastern wisdom type books. For games I enjoy RPGs