• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a religious person, do you support the death penalty?

gzusfrk

Christian
Well I think after someone rapes and murders your wife and then they make the victims family pay his way the rest of his life is very wrong,Its like we dont care about life anymore.John lennons killer was up for parole while back, and he looked pretty good maybe put on a few pounds, had on clean clothes and was smiling. While we pay for him, where is John. some get 10 to 15 years of free room and board and there out on the streets walking by there familys victims on the street . very wrong. Let them pay ther own way like most people.

Last edited:

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If a legal abortion is performed, by law, it's not murder.

Well, I believe that the Nurmberg trials, and subsequent "war crimes" and "crimes against humanity" trials, prove that even those who "lawfully" kill can be prosecuted later for murder.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Well, I believe that the Nurmberg trials, and subsequent "war crimes" and "crimes against humanity" trials, prove that even those who "lawfully" kill can be prosecuted later for murder.

I was addressing legal abortions, specifically. Regardless of my personal views on abortion - if an abortion is performed legally, per the laws of a state - there's no crime.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Questions like these can't be answered. If we answer "yes", we have the "Love thy neighbor as thyself" verse thrown in our face. If we answer "No", we have the Old Testament Law thrown in our face.

No matter what answer we give, it will never be good enough for the author of the OP. ;););)

Sometimes it is better to end in a draw than to keep on debating an endless debate. :)
Please explain how the 'love thy neighbor' verse is a command against capital punishment.
Cause for the life of me, I cannot see it.

McBell

Answering no would be the correct answer for christians. Didn't jesus bring new law and commandments int he NT? And isn't christianity about jesus?
I have already demonstrated that god has no problem with the death penalty.
You have as yet to show that the NT even implies that god is against the death penalty.

How about you actually present the law Jesus presented against capital punishment?
cause if all you got is the 'love thy neighbor' verse, you got nothing and are merely attempting to push your own private pile of bull **** onto others.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
To be honest, I think the audacity of a non Christian dictating "the correct answer" to Christians is pretty laughable.
Why? It's no different than a christian telling a non christian to repent. Wouldn't you call that a double standard?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Don't you just love it when they do that? :preach:

They like to paint us as hypocrites but in the same breath tell us we should do something that they themselves don't necessarily have to because they conveniently don't subscribe to a certain faith they want us to comply to for their own personal gain.
Of course. It's the rules you live by and just "reminding" you of them will maybe let you see how silly they really are. Don't be mad cause we non believers throw your own scripture back at you to follow.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Well I think after someone rapes and murders your wife and then they make the victims family pay his way the rest of his life is very wrong,Its like we dont care about life anymore.John lennons killer was up for parole while back, and he looked pretty good maybe put on a few pounds, had on clean clothes and was smiling. While we pay for him, where is John. some get 10 to 15 years of free room and board and there out on the streets walking by there familys victims on the street . very wrong. Let them pay ther own way like most people.
While I would off the guy, the stance of a christian is to leave that judgement up to your god. If your god wants to take the guys life without human assistance, then he will right?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
At least you're consistent with your belief on death.

A

angellous_evangellous

Just wondering how many religious people here do support it and why.

Yes, I support it, but I think that it needs to be reformed. Unfortunately, those who reject the death penalty will be a part of that conversation.

Some suggested reforms:

- No more last meals chosen by inmate - regular prison food
- No more recorded last words
- No choice for method of execution by prisoner
- Less appeals, no getting off on piddly technicalities when there is overwhelming evidence of guilt
- Usage of hanging as primary mode of execution
- No clemency available from governor
- Time on death row limited to three years after incarceration to allow living family members of the victim to witness or hear of the execution.
- Firm date set on execution at sentencing, and all appeals must occur before this date

These reforms would make me more comfortable with capital punishment. I don't think that these inmates should be coddled or protected by "cruel and unusual punishment" with current arguments that execution methods cause a tiny bit of pain. They are hardened criminals - they can take a little prick on the arm, especially considering what they have done.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I have already demonstrated that god has no problem with the death penalty.
You have as yet to show that the NT even implies that god is against the death penalty.
"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you... whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also." Mat. 5:38-39

"He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first." John 8:7

"But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses." Mat. 6:15

"Judge not, that you be not judged." Mat. 7:1

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse... Repay no one evil for evil... do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I Will repay," says the Lord." Rom. 12:14, 17, 19

How about you actually present the law Jesus presented against capital punishment?
cause if all you got is the 'love thy neighbor' verse, you got nothing and are merely attempting to push your own private pile of bull **** onto others.
I don't believe any law exists. So why even bother with what jesus would say about casting stones, saving a woman who committed adultery (which was punishable by death), or saving people from sin? It's taught the mercy and love were jesus traits, and if that's the message then it should be action followed. Or is that illogical?

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Yes, I support it, but I think that it needs to be reformed. Unfortunately, those who reject the death penalty will be a part of that conversation.

Some suggested reforms:

- No more last meals chosen by inmate - regular prison food
- No more recorded last words
- No choice for method of execution by prisoner
- Less appeals, no getting off on piddly technicalities when there is overwhelming evidence of guilt
- Usage of hanging as primary mode of execution
- No clemency available from governor
- Time on death row limited to three years after incarceration to allow living family members of the victim to witness or hear of the execution.
- Firm date set on execution at sentencing, and all appeals must occur before this date

These reforms would make me more comfortable with capital punishment. I don't think that these inmates should be coddled or protected by "cruel and unusual punishment" with current arguments that execution methods cause a tiny bit of pain. They are hardened criminals - they can take a little prick on the arm, especially considering what they have done.
Convicted murderers with DNA evidence directly linking them to the murders should even get less time.

A

angellous_evangellous

Convicted murderers with DNA evidence directly linking them to the murders should even get less time.

I respectfully disagree. I think that three years is the shortest effective amount of time for a person to meditate on knowing the precise time and method of their death. We should give them at least some time to suffer before they die.

McBell

I don't believe any law exists. So why even bother with what jesus would say about casting stones, saving a woman who committed adultery (which was punishable by death), or saving people from sin? It's taught the mercy and love were jesus traits, and if that's the message then it should be action followed. Or is that illogical?
Yet you have not presented anything that says that capital punishment is a no no.
Now if you were being honest you would acknowledge the fact that Most Christians believe their god is never changing.
Thus meaning that even in the NT he is not against capital punishment.

IF god was as against capital punishment as you want everyone to think, then why is there a punishment of death in the NT?

You are merely looking up verses that you think supports your claim and ignoring much of what Christians do and do not actually believe.

NeoSeeker

Searching Low & High
Realistically, I am against the death penalty because the thought of putting just one innocent person to death based on human bias is distasteful to me.

If I thought a person could be judged accurately and is guilty without doubt of a heinous crime, honestly I am undecided on the issue. Would it be better to 1)kill them, 2) incarcerate them and make them suffer for the rest of their lives, or 3) incarcerate them and put them in a situation that is conducive to self examination (if that is possible). I frequently hear an excuse of how much it will cost to jail them, in essence an argument that it is cheaper to kill them. Is cost the basis of our morality? Killing them solves one problem, but raises other moral issues imo.