• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As a religious person, do you support the death penalty?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am not sure I would answer this question: Is this a type of question where if I were to say I was against the death penalty, you would say "eye for an eye" and if I were to say I were for the death penalty you would say "thou shalt not murder".
In other words, I think it might be a set-up. :)

.lava

Veteran Member
Just wondering how many religious people here do support it and why.

i personally believe some people should be kept away from societies but i dislike the idea of killing people. death penalthy is not the most cruel option though. hand a man who kidnapped kids to cut them and sell their organs then dumb the rest of the body...etc.. yeah hand him over to parents or society itself. funny that police has to protect that kind of monsters. i don't care if they die but i do care how they die

javajo

I support the death penalty, but the crime must be a heinous murder, and must be proved way beyond the shadow of any doubt. If the guilty has remorse for their actions, I believe God can and will forgive them.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Truth to be told, I am totally undecided on this one. Against because: Someone has to give the 1. the drug or 2. flip the switch, and all that. For because: I see the awful things people do to others- like Danielle Van Damme, a 7 year old raped and murdered by her next door neighbor (it was in my area, San Diego County). The guy who killed her is on death row. They have a highway named after the little girl.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
I am not sure I would answer this question: Is this a type of question where if I were to say I was against the death penalty, you would say "eye for an eye" and if I were to say I were for the death penalty you would say "thou shalt not murder".
In other words, I think it might be a set-up. :)
Answer with what god says in your heart.:D

javajo

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
Isaiah 45:21b
...there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
I'm not religious, but I thought I'd pipe in anyway. I'm not opposed to the death penalty at all. However, as long as death row can be more expensive than life without parole, which is often the case, then why bother? Let them get raped in prison for all I care, as long as it means less taxes for me. If somebody gets, and obviously deserves, a death sentence, they should just take them out back after sentencing and shoot them. The cost of 3 hours of executoner pay and a magnum round are about a billion times cheaper than currently putting somebody through death row. Which is retarded.

Last edited:

Boethiah

Penguin
I think the death penalty shouldn't be given out willy nilly. There are some horrible criminals out there, but there can also be times when someone didn't commit a crime but they were convicted of committing the crime (false DNA, etc). The courts better be damned sure the person they are convicting is guilty.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
How about you answer a question: as a non-religious person, do you support the death penalty?
Yes I support the idea. Economically it isn't ideal. But I do believe that heinous, murdering, unremorseful, and unreabilitatable felons should be offed.

Levite

Higher and Higher

I don't necessarily oppose the death penalty in theory. But as it is usually practiced, I do not support it. It would have to be exactingly, excruciatingly, scrupulously fair, its justice beyond the shadow of any doubt.

If our system were closer to the system of the Rabbis of the Talmud, that might be helpful. The classical halakhah (Jewish Law) demands that in the case of any capital crime, in order to put the defendant to death, there must be a minimum of two eyewitnesses who testify that not only did they see the defendant commit the crime, but they verbally warned the defendant that he was about to commit a capital offense, for which he could be put to death, and he had to verbally reply that he knew it, he did not care, and he was going to do it anyway; and then he had to commit the crime. The case then had to be heard and reviewed by no less than a full court of 71 rabbis, who had to come out 70 in favor of death, and 1 not in favor (it was assumed that if none of them could come up with any reason not to kill the defendant, the court must be unfairly biased in some way)-- 2 in favor of no death penalty resulted in acquittal. If witnesses were found to have conspired and lied to have the defendant executed, then he is spared, and they are put to death in his place. There was explicitly no limit set on introduction of new evidence to spare the defendant's life-- all through trial, deliberations, and up to the moment the sentence is carried out.

If our system were closer to this level of surety, I would probably not have any objections to the death penalty, provided it were done swiftly, with relative humaneness, and the condemned was unconscious due to anesthesia at the time the sentence was carried out.

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
the decision between life and death should not be in the hands of the state. either or.

So should we destroy all our police and military forces? And what if we are talking about somebody who does not just deserve to die, but is extremely dangerous to let live?

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
Truth to be told, I am totally undecided on this one. Against because: Someone has to give the 1. the drug or 2. flip the switch, and all that. For because: I see the awful things people do to others- like Danielle Van Damme, a 7 year old raped and murdered by her next door neighbor (it was in my area, San Diego County). The guy who killed her is on death row. They have a highway named after the little girl.

as an individual all i would ask for is make it 100% sure he would never be able to repeat that disgusting crime ever again. let him live, i don't mind but make it sure with no doubt or any possibility at all that he could do it again

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I believe in the sanctity of human life. I believe that God has a purpose for every minute of every person's life. Because of that belief, I am opposed to the death penalty as PUNISHMENT. I believe that in extreme cases it may be justified in order to protect other innocent people, but in this day and age, I also believe that we can protect society from a killer effectively with incarceration.

I live in Texas, where the death penalty is so readily used BECAUSE we do not offer the option of life in prison without parole - which I think is absolutely ridiculous. Because we don't offer that option, if I served on a jury and I knew that a cold blooded killer may one day be released back into society, I would consider the death penalty as an option even though I am opposed to it generally - simply because I believe that innocent people have more of a right to protection from a criminal than the criminal has rights to freedom, which may be used to harm others again.

So - as with abortion - I believe that in very limited circumstances, the death penalty may be justified, but it should be used very sparingly and only to protect the rights of others.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Not actually 'religious', but I do have a faith, so I will put my two cents in.

No, I do not support the Death Penalty. This is not to say I do not feel there are those who deserve to be permanently removed from society, however, the risk of an innocent being strapped down for death is to great to justify killing any who are found guilty of murder.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
IMO, there should be NO religious person supporting it. If your faith requires that you "love thy neighbor" then supporting a decision of death because of crime ain't loving. The premise is only your god has the power to judge so why not just leave it up to your god to decide what happens. Religious that support the death penalty need to look in the mirror and ask if they are really following what their god asked them to do or just follow what they they think is right for them. Just sayin'.