• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article about my personal journey: The impact of Critical Thinking videos on my superstitious tendency

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My personal journey began when I joined this forum in 2019, as a somewhat superstitious person. I had a penchant for woo, and I could rationalize my beliefs based on some of my life experiences - influenced by cultural factors, such as the opinions of my peers and the folklore of my background, etc.

My perspective changed when I watched some Critical Thinking videos posted by another member:

( I appreciate your contribution here, @Nimos , for showing me these videos.)

I embarked on a journey to better differentiate between the scientific and the non-scientific, as well as the pseudoscientific.

I learned that there is a context for rejecting pseudoscience (such as when it is proposed as a substitute for science), and a context for tolerating pseudoscience (such as when it is used for entertainment or socialization, without violating one's personal values, e.g. having one's tarot read by a friend, or discussing the 16 Myers-Briggs personality types).

I realized that part of my superstitious tendency, besides being cultural, was assuming that an event without an explanation, or a precise explanation, must be supernatural.

After watching the videos on Critical Thinking, I became a more skeptical and curious person. I am not ruling out the possibility of the supernatural and the paranormal, but I have a clearer idea of what would constitute a convincing test to verify these phenomena. I would require such a test to be falsifiable and reproducible.

For instance, regarding the topic of "ghosts", I would first want to determine whether they are supposed to exist in the physical world, or in some other dimension. If they are in the physical world, I would expect them to obey the laws and rules of the physical world.

Upon reflecting on this, I soon realized that the facts of a story, a personal account of events, do not necessarily imply the presence of ghosts. Ghosts are often more a matter of interpretation of the facts of a story.

For example, if a vase in the room fell inexplicably, it would be strange, but to remove the interpretation of the events, and to be more accurate, one might be better off saying "A vase fell, and I don't know why" than attributing it to ghosts.

Of course, there are still some things that elude my explanation, but I feel that learning more about Critical Thinking has improved my skills as a curious "detective", if you will, of whenever an unexplained event occurs.

One benefit of Critical Thinking for me, is that I realized that my previous deficiency in Critical Thinking was a specific "liability" in my life, and it hindered my potential for improvement.

I would also say that RF has been a stimulating opportunity for me of self-development, and a distinctive one because I arrived here as a somewhat "fragmented" person, and as I reassemble the fragments, I recognize that eventually, we may experience the first occasion of RF witnessing me "intact", and not just as a non-fragmented person, but as one who may have insights beyond what they did before they first became fragmented. New insights about religion, life, and many other subjects.

I would also say that when one looks at my journey, there is so much more to it than what's discussed here, especially along the way. In making this post however, I chose a subject I had spoke about in 2019, and I've tried to show my personal growth about it. From superstition to skeptic. And I chose a subject that - at least I hope - will have broad appeal, where both the theist and the non-theist might find something they like to read, despite it being written from the perspective of a non-theist.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Now that this is published, I wanted to say... I realize the subject is a bit left-field, and that bringing it up over more serious subjects might actually hint at a lack of progress, rather... but I felt I really needed to touch upon a subject I was discussing in 2019, rather than one I was discussing in 2021-2023 when I tackled more difficult subjects, and might have already shown a bit more learning on some subjects.

I don't claim to be a perfect critical thinker, nor do I think that critical thinking is the only way to approach life. I still have some biases and prejudices that I need to work on, and I still enjoy some forms of pseudoscience for fun or entertainment. But I think that better knowledge of critical thinking has had its uses for me in decision-making. And I wanted to provide a concrete example of how, even if I might not be tackling more personal real-life examples at this time.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback on this topic as I continue to try to leave room for discussion.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I don't claim to be a perfect critical thinker, nor do I think that critical thinking is the only way to approach life. I still have some biases and prejudices that I need to work on, and I still enjoy some forms of pseudoscience for fun or entertainment. But I think that better knowledge of critical thinking has had its uses for me in decision-making. And I wanted to provide a concrete example of how, even if I might not be tackling more personal real-life examples at this time.

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts and feedback on this topic as I continue to try to leave room for discussion.
In my experience, a person being able to change their mind about an issue that is determined by your worldview is impressive. I don't know how many people I've seen post positively about "woo" subjects who simply refused to entertain the idea that they could be indulging in flawed thinking.

You can't be a perfect critical thinker because you are a human person and our minds are basically a bag of fast-and-dirty tricks (heuristics, biases, instincts and generalisations from limited evidence) for making enough sense of the world to be able to live in it. Realising the limits of rational analysis is a pretty important step in being more rational.

I also enjoy a bit of woo for its own sake. Biocentrism and the electric universe, conspiracy theories, hippie-mystic "its-all-connectedness" stuff, quantum-everything, the Singularity. etc. There is no apparent upper limit to the number of words I'll read on the primacy of love or conscious experience.

I've found scientific theories over the years that are woo-adjacent and Iove that kind of thing. Donald Hoffmann's attempt to model physical reality from the mechanics of (mathematical) conscious observers might be my all-time favourite scientific theory. Also love panpsychism which is having a bit of a moment in the academic world but was considered outrageous nonsense about a decade ago. If you are entertained by woo you might like this type of thing.

All the best.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My personal journey began when I joined this forum in 2019, as a somewhat superstitious person. I had a penchant for woo, and I could rationalize my beliefs based on some of my life experiences - influenced by cultural factors, such as the opinions of my peers and the folklore of my background, etc.

My perspective changed when I watched some Critical Thinking videos posted by another member:

( I appreciate your contribution here, @Nimos , for showing me these videos.)

I embarked on a journey to better differentiate between the scientific and the non-scientific, as well as the pseudoscientific.

I learned that there is a context for rejecting pseudoscience (such as when it is proposed as a substitute for science), and a context for tolerating pseudoscience (such as when it is used for entertainment or socialization, without violating one's personal values, e.g. having one's tarot read by a friend, or discussing the 16 Myers-Briggs personality types).

I realized that part of my superstitious tendency, besides being cultural, was assuming that an event without an explanation, or a precise explanation, must be supernatural.

After watching the videos on Critical Thinking, I became a more skeptical and curious person. I am not ruling out the possibility of the supernatural and the paranormal, but I have a clearer idea of what would constitute a convincing test to verify these phenomena. I would require such a test to be falsifiable and reproducible.

For instance, regarding the topic of "ghosts", I would first want to determine whether they are supposed to exist in the physical world, or in some other dimension. If they are in the physical world, I would expect them to obey the laws and rules of the physical world.

Upon reflecting on this, I soon realized that the facts of a story, a personal account of events, do not necessarily imply the presence of ghosts. Ghosts are often more a matter of interpretation of the facts of a story.

For example, if a vase in the room fell inexplicably, it would be strange, but to remove the interpretation of the events, and to be more accurate, one might be better off saying "A vase fell, and I don't know why" than attributing it to ghosts.

Of course, there are still some things that elude my explanation, but I feel that learning more about Critical Thinking has improved my skills as a curious "detective", if you will, of whenever an unexplained event occurs.

One benefit of Critical Thinking for me, is that I realized that my previous deficiency in Critical Thinking was a specific "liability" in my life, and it hindered my potential for improvement.

I would also say that RF has been a stimulating opportunity for me of self-development, and a distinctive one because I arrived here as a somewhat "fragmented" person, and as I reassemble the fragments, I recognize that eventually, we may experience the first occasion of RF witnessing me "intact", and not just as a non-fragmented person, but as one who may have insights beyond what they did before they first became fragmented. New insights about religion, life, and many other subjects.

I would also say that when one looks at my journey, there is so much more to it than what's discussed here, especially along the way. In making this post however, I chose a subject I had spoke about in 2019, and I've tried to show my personal growth about it. From superstition to skeptic. And I chose a subject that - at least I hope - will have broad appeal, where both the theist and the non-theist might find something they like to read, despite it being written from the perspective of a non-theist.
You changed your mind and mindset!
That's definitively miraculous in our current times!
Congratulations! :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I don't claim to be a perfect critical thinker, nor do I think that critical thinking is the only way to approach life. I still have some biases and prejudices that I need to work on, and I still enjoy some forms of pseudoscience for fun or entertainment.
I believe critical thinking is the only way to approach life. Kindly continue to work on your biases and prejudices. :)