• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Armageddon

cardero

Citizen Mod
I am sure humans are perfectly capable of bringing Armageddon upon this planet if they desired.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Who's virsion of Armageddon are we talking about? Like creation stories end of the world stories are varied and mostly cultural constucts.

wa:do

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I don't know if we'll see armageddon in the way that Christians talk about it. In Judaism this is only ONE of the ways the Messiahnic age will begin.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
well, if we are talking native 'end of stuff' stories... the Ghost Dance will herald the retrun of the buffalo and end of the "european domination" (ie non-natives get booted/and/or/wiped out)
In Mayan stories the world will start another cycle and this virsion of mankind will be wiped out by 'sky deamons'.
In the Incan virsion mankind will be wiped out by his own tools and animals.

In Norse myth the gods will raise the armies of Valhalla and die in battle, leaving only two humans hidden in the great tree.

of cource none of these has a messianic figure appearing.

Many peoples never had an 'end of stuff' story. They simply accepted that time and the world would go on as they always have, with or without us.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Painted Wolfe are you familiar with the Lakota Prophecy? It referes to the Star People whom many tribes believe to BE their ancient extraterrestrial ancestors. The Prophecy calls for The Sacred Mother (I would assume they mean Mother Earth) pleading for the Star People's help. And meteorites from the heavens will strike the earth causing internal as well as external damage. This is one of the "Armageddons" that I recently became familiar with.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Armageddon ? As in the end of Human life ? All life on the planet ? Or all life everywhere ?

I think that life will continue on , long after we are gone as a race . I am very sure that it well after I'm gone . :)

Painted Wolf , Black Elk describes the Ghost Dance more as the First Nation People being lifted off this earth and taken to another place ... I do believe that he also implied that the Europeans would be wiped out , can't recall where all my info comes from off hand . But my understanding of the Ghost Dance { which I admit is very limited } is that it could have two endings . One that the People return to earth after the Europeans are removed . and the other that they do not return ? No trying to start a debate on the issue , just wondering how far off I am . :)

BTW the Mayan long calendar ends in 8 years . :)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Armageddon, or Har Meggido, the Battle of Meggido I believe is the translation, will happen as told in Revelations. :)

edit: I have 666 coins :eek:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Carrdero- I do know of the star people, though to call them exteraterrestrial is a bit misleading. The stars were thought to be the souls of the ancestors. The idea that the ancestors would come to the aid of the earth mother makes sence. Though I havent heard this particular story. Thanks for sharing :)

Kreeden- The Ghost Dance ment many things to many people. Some felt that it would be a peacefull return to the old ways. Others hoped that it would raise those killed by the Europeans and bring a final battle where the white man would be driven off or distroyed. It was like all native spiritual expereances deeply personal and ment something a bit different for each person.

ThisShouldMakeSense

mmm...biblical question needs biblical answer. armageddon, as a word, is mentioned only once in the whole of the bible. it's in revelation and it also says that God gathers the nations togother for war. so it isn't man made, nuclear or something or anything else.
it is God finally stepping in, which is what everyone keeps asking about, and putting a stop to all the rubbish that's going on at the mo. but, don't worry, he's not gunna wipe the slate clean and finnish us all off. there will be survivors who will get through. now then, how can we make sure we don't get wiped out?
Well that is another debate in itself.

the truth is out there...