• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you spiritual but not religious?

Describe your spiritual/religious connection

• I consider myself spiritual but not religious

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I consider myself religious but not spiritual

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I consider myself both religious and spiritual

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • None of the above (please fee free to share)

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

maggie2

Do you consider yourself spiritual but are not affiliated with any particular religion? I'm asking because I'm looking for some like-minded folks.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

My.gothic.death

I don't consider myself any of them, bcaz I don't really have a religion and I don't even know if I feel spiritual at all.
I'm kinda lost in life.
I never know what to say or what to do I just am.
I guess if you look at it properly I'm like winne the pooh, I just am.
But then again sometimes I just feel like baggeg, I'm just alonge for the ride.
I hope that helped you in any way.

Master Vigil

I would say I fall into the number one category. Because the universe is my chuch, and nature is my sacred writings. I have no need for dogma, or a religious affiliation. Oneness and peace comes not through words, organizations, human concepts, etc... But a "dropping" of those, and BEing.

d.

_______
i could answer option 1...but in some contexts, i prefer the term 'religious'. in others, just 'spiritual'. in others 'agnostic' or even 'atheist' might be better words. it depends on what misunderstandings i want to avoid.

so none of the above, i guess.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I opted for #1, though I actually spend little time worrying about spirits.
I consider myself more philosophical/scientific than religious.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
From a Bonnie Raitt concert -

Religion is for people who are afraid of going to hell. Spirituality is for people who have already been there.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I consider myself both religious and spiritual .

To be fair though, I think there is a greater leaning towards the 'spiritual' in my case.

frg001

Complex bunch of atoms
None of the above.

Religious... I am anti-religion. Which I guess is religious in its own way.
Spiritual... Not in any supernatural way. But I can get into a spiritual 'like' state, within my own mind...

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
michel said:
I consider myself both religious and spiritual .

To be fair though, I think there is a greater leaning towards the 'spiritual' in my case.

I fall into this category as well. More on the spiritual side. I rely on the Bible, yet I choose not to afilliate myself with an organized religion. I avoid churches.

gnomon

For a short time I almost bought into the concept of spiritual but not religious. It was due to the fact that I heard this statement ad nauseum during the years I was involved in AA and other 12-step programs. Now I don't adhere to the idea of spirituality or religion at all.

The funny thing is that, before my involvement with those programs, I believed a spiritual person was not a reference to someone who held onto a less-dogmatic religious belief but someone who was very fervent in their beliefs. Possessed of the spirit, if you will. The phrase Engyo mentions is quite common in the 12 step recovery movement and is itself very egomaniacal in my opinion. I guess three years and countless meetings of hearing such statements too often made by people having no thought in what they were actually saying has led me to have a very poor opinion of the whole concept.

Adstar

maggie2 said:
Do you consider yourself spiritual but are not affiliated with any particular religion? I'm asking because I'm looking for some like-minded folks.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am a follower of the Messiah Jesus. Not any organisation on earth. The Body of Christ is the body of true believers who have the right Spirit.

Temples of God

We are the Church
God's holy people
We need no doors
Or fancy steeples

For we are the Temple
Where He wishes to stay
Which He bought with His blood
And willingly paid

So open your hearts
And let Jesus come in
And lay aside each weight