• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Changing Your Habits Due to Higher Fuel Prices?

Are you changing your habits due to higher fuel prices?

• I changed my work hours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I changed jobs to work closer to home

• Changed or canceled vacation plans:(

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Are You Changing Your Habits Due to Higher Fuel Prices?

For many years, Hot'Lanta, GA had some of the lowest gas prices in the US, but on my way into work this morning, I saw 2.29/2.39/2.49/2.42 for 87 octane/89/93/diesel repsectively.:eek:

I'm sure some of our international friends are having a chuckle and thinking that we Americans don't know what high fuel prices are.:eek: It's true, we have been spoiled by low gas prices for many years, and now that they have gone up a lot in that last few years, it seems we're hearing about people starting to change their habits.

Both cars my wife & I own require 91 octane or above, and neither gets super MPG, so we've been feeling the pinch. Last month, I started using Atlanta's rapid transit to get to work. The MARTA pass cost $49.50, and it saved 2 tanks of gas, which was around $60.00. Add to that the reduced wear and tear on the car and my not having to sit in traffic, and I think I've found a new way to commute.

I'd like to hear what you guys think and what if anything you're doing differently. :)

pdoel

Nope, haven't chnaged my driving habits. Don't really see what other options I have.

I live about 25 miles from work, and if I decided to use mass transit, I'd have to change busses several times, and end up spending just as much on that a month, as I do on gas anyway.

DreamQuickBook

By Tele-Commute, do you mean work at home? Or over the internet? If not, I shouldn't have voted for it. Also, two years ago I bought a Toyota Corola LE which gets wonderful gas mileage. I only spend about $30 - $40 a month on gas at between $2.29 - $2.39.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I must admit it is hard to accept that your fuel costs are much lower than here in the U.K (I think we are probably the worse off) - having said that though, motoring in England involves much shorter trips, on the whole, so maybe things even out - I don't know.

As far as I am concerned, a car is a must - I even have a disability sticker that lets me park where others can't. Not driving is no option; and the cost is something I just have to accept - whatever it is, within reason.:)

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
Well I'm in Canada and I have to tell you the prices here are atrocious! I drive 55 klm each way to and from work. I also drive a luxury car and my husband drives a pick up truck so these aren't fuel efficient vehicles to begin with. I wish there were an alternative to paying these outragious prices for fuel but we live out in the country and work in the city. So aside from quitting and living off of one income, we don't have much of a choice. Not to mention the fight there would be over who gets to be the Hero that works and who has to be the stay-at-home slave. Knockout

(btw, the maid stays!) :bounce

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Jocose said:
By Tele-Commute, do you mean work at home? Or over the internet?...
Yes and yes. That's the idea. :) Many people in my office connect remotely to the company server with their laptops and work where ever. They rarely even come into the office.

I hear what you say pdoel, and I realize transit isn't an option for many people. In our case, I went from driving 20 miles each way to driving around 6, and some days, my wife drops me at the bus stop, so we park the second car entirely.:jiggy: Her commute is less than 5 miles and the buses don't run straight there. It would take her an hour to get to work instead of the less than 10 minutes if she drives. In my case, the train station is right across the street from my office. Very convenient.:cool:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
My next car purchase (which probably won't be for another 10 years, lol) will be a hybrid or completely electrical car (they should have them by then, right?).

huajiro

I am putting my wife through school and thank "God" she is almost done. I have been filling up a tank almost every other day (as school is far and my work is also). I am also going to start riding my bike half way to work.

DreamQuickBook

Maize said:
My next car purchase (which probably won't be for another 10 years, lol) will be a hybrid or completely electrical car (they should have them by then, right?).

I cannot wait till we have fully electric cars. I will definetly buy one.

Lintu

I bought a high-efficiency, ultra low emissions vehicle. What I really wanted was a hybrid, but I couldn't afford it at the time. Also, my fiance walks instead of having a car. I only drive 2.5 miles to work which I would love to bike but it's not a safe way (access roads to the highway). I also can't generally walk in my work clothes.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
I am about to buy a 94 plymouth colt. It's supposed to get really good gas milage. I currently drive a Ford Windstar with a gas loving V6 in it. It won't be long now where paying Insurance on two cars will actually be cheaper than driving my Van back and forth to work every day. I can't wait, I want to drive a car again. Plus it's Standard and it's purple...I mean it's got my name written all over the thing.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i voted no because i dont have a car, but am intending to get one. probably a vauxhall astra or something similar - second hand though, i cann't afford a new shiny one :help:

but i will use the bus to go into town, simply because you cant park anywhere, and its a nightmare to drive aroung nottingham in the day time - and its not safe to drive after a "night out!"

but i do not like business people who drive big 4X4's that go through loads of fuel - i dont see the point in them

C_P

DreamQuickBook

corrupt_preist said:
but i do not like business people who drive big 4X4's that go through loads of fuel - i dont see the point in them

C_P

You don't like the people? You do realize that most people don't even know there is a problem?

Melody

I voted that my driving habits haven't changed at all and then realized they have. We have a 21' Motor Home that has not been out of the drive even for a weekend trip since June of 2004. Otherwise, no changes. We don't have a mass transportation system here so we have to drive and, up until this past weekend, my husband and I went in opposite directions to work. Now that we've moved into our new warehouse, I'm 3 miles from home and right on his way to work so he'll just drop me off. So I guess we are changing, but it has nothing to do with gas prices. I would've "shared the ride" even without the gas hike.

He suggested I ride a bike. Ha! I have no sense of balance and almost killed myself several times on bikes as a teen. I've learned my lesson. Now, come fall when this horrible heat and humidity passes and I may walk to and from work since 3 miles isn't such a bad hike in cool weather.

Our next new car will be a hybrid or completely electric (should they ever make one) but I'm in no hurry to make the purchase.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
This morning, gas prices jumped to 2.39/2.49/2.59, and I heard they may go up again before Labor Day.:banghead3

Hybrid prices are still high because the technology is still relatively new and the first 2 hybrids in the states, Honda Insight and Toyota Prius, had quirky styling. I think people saw them as science experiments instead of serious transportation. As more 'mainstream' models become available as hybrids and more people see them as viable alternatives, the prices will become more competitive.

Anybody else giving serious though to trading the gas-guzzler for a diesel?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Apparanlty Volkswagon has a Jetta Hybrid and it's the best looking Hybrid by far.

vwjetta5tdi_fairfield.jpg

see

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Just to make you all feel better the cost of diesel here is 87p per litre.
That is $5.87 per us gallon
They say it is going up to £1 per litre.

I used to do 60 miles per day before I retired, Just to get to work and back

Terry

anders

I'm living in Sweden's second largest city. In five minutes, I'm walking in the woods. Walking for 30 mins brings me to a bathing lake (very clean water) or the university or the city centre. Once a week, I take mother (and a neighbour) for a 10 min. ride to the supermarket where we by food for the week to come. That's on average about it. Per year, that's less than 10000 km for me. I don't care a bit about fuel prices.

Petrol is USD 1.45 per litre here. I don't even want to know how many times more that is than the US price. But we didn't invade Iraq.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I only spend about $30 - $40 a month on gas at between $2.29 - $2.39.
Wow. I went through about $80 a month when I drove all over the place, and I was hanging out with friends everynight. I cut way back and now I go through about $50 a month. Since I started riding 8 miles to work, I only use about $20 or $30 a month. 8 miles really isn't that bad after you've done it a few times. I usually drove though when I close, since I don't get off till around 11:30 or 12:30.