• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a liar?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the Holy Spirit within your religion?
What is the Absolute Brahman within your religion?
Who are the Iswaras of your religion?
Who are the rishis of your religion?
What is the key of Dharma within your religion?
What are practices to achieve moksha in your religion?
What are the Maha Vakyas of your religion?

Redemptionsong

Yet there is a list of nearly 4000 gods in human lore, your God Yahweh is just one of them. And it is likely Yahweh came from a polytheistic system itself. It is described as a trial war god that somehow became the mob boss, as all other gods were whacked.
Israel encountered many false gods, with Egypt typifying the idolatrous nation. How many gods did the Egyptians have?

The God of Israel, the one true God, made short work of the Egyptian gods. That much is true.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The issue of slavery is used by some to criticise the God of the Bible, but it's a shallow argument.
Do you think slavery is ever justified given what is said in the Bible?

Would you be a slave owner in 1850's Alabama if you had the means?

Did you not know that the Hebrews, God's chosen, were slaves in Egypt?
They didn't like it, did they? Yet God condones it.

Do you not know that every year there is a celebration of freedom from slavery at Pesach? Who do you think it was that freed the Hebrews from slavery? Why would God free his people from slavery if he thought slavery was a good thing?
None of these are relevant to there being rules for slave ownership in the Bible, as condoned by God. Or was God wrong, in your view? You can't have it both ways, there being rules for owning slaves, and slavery being wrong. Which is it?

Did you not also know that Jesus fulfils the law? He beings the law to fulfilment in the Spirit. This means that he offers people an even better freedom than freedom from external chains. He offers to free people from their inner prisons.
I am aware that Christians believe this and interpret the Bible a certain way, but this is challenged as we see in Blu's comments, among others. Plus, Jews disagree with Christian interpretation of the Old Testament, so that's a strike against this new interpretation. Plus, even Christians disagree with interpretation of the Bible, so that's another problem.

Got to get the "truth" right before you can effectively argue it. So Christians need to gather all estimated 44,000 sects and figure out what the Bible says and means, and then reconcile that with Jews. Catholics will be a problem, but they were the first version of Christianity for over a 1200 years before Martin Luther protested.

Did you know that you can be a slave and still be free from sin?
How about the slave owner? Did you know slaves in the South were largely forbidden to learn to read, mostly to avoid them reading the Bible and assuming they have a soul like whites? These were Baptist white people imposing these rules, and they did so based on the authority in the Bible. Were they wrong?

Did you know that a lifetime of slavery on earth cannot prevent an eternal life of freedom?
This is a claim, not knowledge. So demonstrate they claim is true objectively, and not just a claim that is often used as a threat.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Israel encountered many false gods, with Egypt typifying the idolatrous nation. How many gods did the Egyptians have?
How do you discern real gods from false gods? Present the method of discernment that any mortal can use. And tell us the method you used to discern a real god from all the fake gods. I'm curious to see your rigorous process.

The God of Israel, the one true God, made short work of the Egyptian gods. That much is true.
Exodus is not considered to be actual history. Didn't you know this?

Redemptionsong

It was not Jews who were the oracles of the true God but the Brahmanas... the knower of the true Being Brahman who were the oracles of God. Oracles that are preserved in the Vedas. The great Smritis provide the history of the Brahmanas from inception to glory. The story continues in all the Dharmic religions to this day.

Your knowledge is limited.
My knowledge is limited, but the knowledge of the one God is not.

Everybody who takes a serious look at scripture must be able to discern truth from error. When contradictions exist between scriptures, and between teachings, it's important to discern what is good and truthful. I can see truths in many religions and teachings, but invariably it is mixed with falsehood and part truths. I do not believe that the one true God imparts a mixture of truth and falsehood.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Everybody who takes a serious look at scripture must be able to discern truth from error. When contradictions exist between scriptures, and between teachings, it's important to discern what is good and truthful. I can see truths in many religions and teachings, but invariably it is mixed with falsehood and part truths. I do not believe that the one true God imparts a mixture of truth and falsehood.
That is correct. That is why the Upanisads and the Gita are scripture as they contain no error.

Redemptionsong

Do you think slavery is ever justified given what is said in the Bible?

Would you be a slave owner in 1850's Alabama if you had the means?

They didn't like it, did they? Yet God condones it.

None of these are relevant to there being rules for slave ownership in the Bible, as condoned by God. Or was God wrong, in your view? You can't have it both ways, there being rules for owning slaves, and slavery being wrong. Which is it?

I am aware that Christians believe this and interpret the Bible a certain way, but this is challenged as we see in Blu's comments, among others. Plus, Jews disagree with Christian interpretation of the Old Testament, so that's a strike against this new interpretation. Plus, even Christians disagree with interpretation of the Bible, so that's another problem.

Got to get the "truth" right before you can effectively argue it. So Christians need to gather all estimated 44,000 sects and figure out what the Bible says and means, and then reconcile that with Jews. Catholics will be a problem, but they were the first version of Christianity for over a 1200 years before Martin Luther protested.

How about the slave owner? Did you know slaves in the South were largely forbidden to learn to read, mostly to avoid them reading the Bible and assuming they have a soul like whites? These were Baptist white people imposing these rules, and they did so based on the authority in the Bible. Were they wrong?

This is a claim, not knowledge. So demonstrate they claim is true objectively, and not just a claim that is often used as a threat.
Were you not aware that the 'underground railroad' through which many slaves were able to make their escape from slavery was supported by many Christians, particularly Quakers.

Were you aware that the movement in Britain to abolish the slave trade was led by Christians?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Are you a God yourself, or a fallible mortal who is prone to making errors? Could you be mistaken in your religious belief?

Everybody who takes a serious look at scripture must be able to discern truth from error.
Is it better to examine it objectively, or with certain assumptions you adopt from your religious culture?

When contradictions exist between scriptures, and between teachings, it's important to discern what is good and truthful.
That's why examining it from an objective and fact-baed approach is superior.

I can see truths in many religions and teachings, but invariably it is mixed with falsehood and part truths. I do not believe that the one true God imparts a mixture of truth and falsehood.
It's what you believe. Could you be mistaken as a fallible, ordinary sinner? If so, your truth is open for adjustment.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Were you not aware that the 'underground railroad' through which many slaves were able to make their escape from slavery was supported by many Christians, particularly Quakers.
Quakers had a good moral core, as did abolitionists. But you are avoiding my questions: why did Christians own slaves, and do so based on the rules and guidance of the Bible? Is this uncomfortable for you to admit?

Were you aware that the movement in Britain to abolish the slave trade was led by Christians?
This was due largely to the human rights from the Enlightenment. For centuries Christians captured free people, enslaved them, sold and bought them, and thought it was all justified and authorized by God via the Bible. Can you admit this? What does it tell you about the Bible, God, how Christians interpret the Bible, and morality? Thus far you are avoiding my hard moral challenges and trying to only refer to the good things Christians did. You can't avoid your religion's immoral past.

Redemptionsong

How do you discern real gods from false gods? Present the method of discernment that any mortal can use. And tell us the method you used to discern a real god from all the fake gods. I'm curious to see your rigorous process.

Exodus is not considered to be actual history. Didn't you know this?
Once again, we have the biblical record to refer to. How do you think Abraham came to believe that God was real? How did Noah come to believe God was real? How did Moses come to have faith in God?

The answer is that God spoke to them in a clear and unequivocal manner. They responded with faith, and the words of God were fulfilled.

False gods give false hope, and ultimately they prove powerless.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Once again, we have the biblical record to refer to. How do you think Abraham came to believe that God was real? How did Noah come to believe God was real? How did Moses come to have faith in God?
The same way Frodo knew he had to take the ring himself to throw in the fire, that is how the authors wrote these stories.

Are these characters real in history? Historians doubt it.

The answer is that God spoke to them in a clear and unequivocal manner. They responded with faith, the the words of God were fulfilled.
Of course, that's what the author's wanted people to believe. We can't assume these stories are true at face value given the lack of evidence, and the implausible nature of them.

Fse gods give false hope, and ultimately they prove powerless.
I notice you offer no method to discern real from fake Gods. Perhaps you don't know of a way to do it.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The answer is that God spoke to them in a clear and unequivocal manner. They responded with faith, the the words of God were fulfilled.

Fse gods give false hope, and ultimately they prove powerless.
Well... the smritis of Hinduism have countless people to whom Brahman reveal Itself clearly and unequivocally. They are the rishis. We have thousands.. Angirasa, Jagyavalka, Vyasa, Uddalaka Aruni, Sankara, Ramanuja, Chaitanya, the other Bhakti saints, Ramakrishna, Aurobindo, Vivekananda... the list continues.
So what makes your examples special?

Redemptionsong

A righteous man has the advantage of actually existing. Plus, what righteous God, the one that condones slavery?

Then let's defer to their interpretation of the Old Testament over how Christians do it (and often disagree with each other).

But there are thousands of different interpretations, so that mucks up the "word" quite a bit.
There are Jews that accept Jesus as Christ, and Jews who do not. In many 'Torah 'Jewish households it is anathema to even mention the name of Jesus. I also believe that many Jews refuse to read or study the NT because they have preconceptions about the language and contents.

The reason l say these things is because without the NT there is much to be confused about. Some of the greatest thinkers in religion are rabbis who have devoted their lives to understanding the contents of the Tanakh. You only have to read the Talmud to get some idea of the kind of discussions that took place between these teachers.

Jesus shed light on the Tanakh in a revolutionary way. He spoke with an authority that was unprecedented, and he backed this up with powerful acts of healing and with miracles. He demonstrated through word and deed that he was, indeed, 'God with us'.

In lsrael today, there are increasing numbers of Jews taking an interest in the Gospel, realising that Jesus was thoroughily Jewish.

Why am l saying this? Because the writings of Paul make it clear that many Jews will not come to know the Messiah until the last days. Only at the appearing of Christ will they recognise their Messiah as the one they crucified [see Zechariah 12:9-13:1]

If it appears that the body of Christ is divided, then don't be surprised. Scripture warns that in the field there is both good wheat and tares growing together. It is only at the harvest that the two are separated.

The distinguishing feature of a believer is their fruit. If a believer walks by God's Spirit then their fruit will be good [Galatians 5:22]. If they walk by the 'flesh' then their fruit will corrupt [Galatians 5:19].

Redemptionsong

Well... the smritis of Hinduism have countless people to whom Brahman reveal Itself clearly and unequivocally. They are the rishis. We have thousands.. Angirasa, Jagyavalka, Vyasa, Uddalaka Aruni, Sankara, Ramanuja, Chaitanya, the other Bhakti saints, Ramakrishna, Aurobindo, Vivekananda... the list continues.
So what makes your examples special?
Were any of your great teachers resurrected from the dead? How would you know that the 'way' they teach brings life if you have no evidence of resurrection?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Were any of your great teachers resurrected from the dead? How would you know that the 'way' they teach brings life if you have no evidence of resurrection?
Human beings are already immmortal, merely shifting between old bodies and new bodies as one changes clothes after a day's work. Why would I care about either death or resurrection? Life I already have for eternity.
Were any of your great teachers remember all their past lives and the past lives of all beings that have existed?

Redemptionsong

Quakers had a good moral core, as did abolitionists. But you are avoiding my questions: why did Christians own slaves, and do so based on the rules and guidance of the Bible? Is this uncomfortable for you to admit?

This was due largely to the human rights from the Enlightenment. For centuries Christians captured free people, enslaved them, sold and bought them, and thought it was all justified and authorized by God via the Bible. Can you admit this? What does it tell you about the Bible, God, how Christians interpret the Bible, and morality? Thus far you are avoiding my hard moral challenges and trying to only refer to the good things Christians did. You can't avoid your religion's immoral past.
The Bible does not encourage the ownership of slaves.

There have always been Christians who have objected to slavery, but where we find Christians involved in slavery we have to recognise that the life of faith is a life of growth and changing attitudes. Some have attempted to justify their slave ownership, whilst others have lived uneasily with a state of affairs they felt powerless to change.

There were some slave owners (in the Confederacy) who became Christians whilst owning slaves. In cases like this it was not possible to simply divorce an unbelieving partner and walk off the plantation! The practicalities of life ensured that the first concern was to improve the conditions of the slaves and to free those who had worked a specified number of years. Also, one had to consider what life as a freed slave would entail. For some slaves, freedom without the means to survive was worse than living under a benevolent 'master'.

The issue of slavery is complex and reaches far back in history. We know that at one time it was common practice to make slaves of prisoners of war. This was seen as a humanitarian alternative to slaughtering your captives.

Let's not forget that you have raised this issue in an attempt to demonstrate that God somehow approves of slavery. The Bible, however, is clear that slavery is wrong. This applies firstly to physical slavery, but secondly, and more importantly, to the inner slavery of sin.

In the Bible, the OT highlights the outward man, whilst the NT tends to focus on the spiritual, or inner man. It becomes clear from the NT that all men are considered to be slaves, as all are sinners. It is God's design in Christ to bring freedom from sin, and, thereby, from slavery.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Surely less that the Hindu you are having a conversation with currently. But Israel sees Jesus as a false God as well, so what does that do to your claim above? God's are in the eye of the beholder. Even the God Christians worship vary from one sect to the other. Liberal sects see God as tolerant and just to all people, while the KKK Christian will see non-whites as inferior as an edict of God.

Only if you believe the Charleston Heston version of history, which isn't considered true by historians.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There are Jews that accept Jesus as Christ, and Jews who do not.
Messianic Jews are a fringe subset. Not significant. You could say they are just another sect of an already crowded collection of Christians whose beliefs disagree.

In many 'Torah 'Jewish households it is anathema to even mention the name of Jesus. I also believe that many Jews refuse to read or study the NT because they have preconceptions about the language and contents.
the Old Testament is theirs, and Christians abducted it and changed the meaning of many of its words and stories. It's absurd that Christians interpret the OT in a way that differs from Jews when it is THEIR book.

The reason l say these things is because without the NT there is much to be confused about.
That's funny, with 44,000 sects of Christianity I'd say they are plenty confused WITH the NT. One of the reasons I'm an atheist was watching my Catholic and Baptist families argue and go after each other at holiday dinners. WOW, even as a child i was smart enough to see how they behaved through their religious belief was contrary to what I was being taught in Sunday school. I could see there was something fatally wrong with this religion.

Some of the greatest thinkers in religion are rabbis who have devoted their lives to understanding the contents of the Tanakh. You only have to read the Talmud to get some idea of the kind of discussions that took place between these teachers.
And this means what? That they are devoted to their religious belief? Let's note that these Jews disagree with you about Jesus, so I'm not sure the wisdom of using them as an authority in religion. I should listen to them about how much your religious interpretation is in error. Yes?

Jesus shed light on the Tanakh in a revolutionary way. He spoke with an authority that was unprecedented, and he backed this up with powerful acts of healing and with miracles. He demonstrated through word and deed that he was, indeed, 'God with us'.
Not according to the Jews.

In lsrael today, there are increasing numbers of Jews taking an interest in the Gospel, realising that Jesus was thoroughily Jewish.
Assuming a Jesus existed, he would have been Jewish. But that still doesn't make the Gospel true. Let us know when they finish their assessment.

Why am l saying this? Because the writings of Paul make it clear that many Jews will not come to know the Messiah until the last days. Only at the appearing of Christ will they recognise their Messiah as the one they crucified [see Zechariah 12:9-13:1]
That is what a true believer like Paul would say. The whole "end times" notion is pretty dubious, much of it driven by Revelations, which scholars consider to be describing the time of Nero.

If it appears that the body of Christ is divided, then don't be surprised. Scripture warns that in the field there is both good wheat and tares growing together. It is only at the harvest that the two are separated.
Then it sounds as if your interpretation is that many, if not the majority, of Christians have been deceived. Why would God do that instead of offering a more coherent and clear doctrine? Not very loving.

The distinguishing feature of a believer is their fruit. If a believer walks by God's Spirit then their fruit will be good [Galatians 5:22]. If they walk by the 'flesh' then their fruit will corrupt [Galatians 5:19].
I find more conservative believers to have more corrupt fruit. The more liberal believers tend to mirror Jesus vastly more. When I was a kid I worked at my grandmothers food kitchen at her church. They fed homeless and hungry people twice a week, which is all the church could afford to do. I felt shame because my family was pretty well off and I had no idea there were families that needed this good service. The ladies that did all this at the church never asked anyone to pray, never brought up religion, or salvation, or anything. They did their duty as human beings, and this is what Jesus taught his followers to do. I see the Swaggarts, the Bakers, the Falwells, the Grahams, all the greedy takers who press government and society to be intolerant their their fellow citizens who don't meet some absurd ideal. They are most definitely rotten fruit. Why they don't see it, I don't know. Greed does something toxic to the spirit.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In Acts 5, we are told that there was a wise man in the council at Jerusalem, 'a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law'. He was not a Christian, but when the followers of Jesus appeared on the scene he said, 'And now l say unto you [Jews], Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God.'

Based on Gamaliel's assessment of the movement and the claims, it seems that he was right. The spread of the Gospel did continue, and was accompanied by many signs and wonders. Now, it seems, some people are beginning to realise that to deny Christ is to deny God.
This tale wasn't written till c. 90 CE, sixty years / two or three generations after the traditional date of the crucifixion, so whether it was historical or just a story, it had all that time to be polished. And if it's roughly accurate, so what? That doesn't make Jesus a Jewish messiah.
And anti-semitism? Is that not also explained in the scriptures, or have you overlooked the words of Moses?

Deuteronomy 28:1. 'And it shall come to pass if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe and to do all his commandments which l command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:'

There we have the promise of blessing upon the obedient. But what of disobedience?

Deut. 28:15. ' But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which l command you this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:' [There follows a long list of curses]
Deut.28:25. 'The LORD shall cause thee to be smitten before thine enemies: thou shalt go out one way against them, and flee seven ways before them: and shalt be removed into all the kingdoms of the earth.'
So the Jewish messiah, you say, is himself the cause of the greatest and most sustained and most murderous and rapacious antisemitism?

Christian antisemitism is fine with you because of something Moses (if indeed there was an historical Moses at all) is said to have said? Christianity exists to persecute and murder Jewish people?

God sent the Jewish people a messiah [he] knew they wouldn't recognize, set them a test [he] knew they must fail, you say?

And as a result the Jews have deserved the Christian pogroms, ghettos, gas chambers, for not recognizing your hero as their "king", in your view? Hitler nailed it, you think?

I think that's an inhuman view, to be rejected instantly and outright.

And by the way, the Jews never turned from their God.

Why, for example, would the Jews, having worshiped their God directly in prayer for more than a millennium, suddenly need an intermediary? That's an idea from gnosticism, but only Paul and the author of John were gnostics in the NT.

It was and is the Christians who rejected the Jewish God and indeed in the fourth century CE invented the "Triune God" in order to elevate Jesus to God status, despite every version of Jesus in the NT denying he's God, and never once claiming to be God. If, as you say, Jesus was God all along, then his ministry was one long deceit, a lie fully lived. And Jesus prayed to himself in the garden, and the Jesuses of Mark and of Matthew said on the cross, "Me, me, why have I forsaken me?"

Sheesh.

As for "the stem of Jesse", nope, the Jewish priesthood, the leaders of the Jews, will tell you who's a Jewish messiah and who's not a messiah.