• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Wiccans Satanic?

Draka

Wonder Woman
There really was no backdrop. This came out of nowhere. I was leaving class, last one out, he saw my pentacle and just started popping off ridiculous questions.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Jensa said:
Heh heh. The best response when someone asks if you sacrifice babies/goats/science professors is "Why, are you volunteering?" :D
:biglaugh: About that time , it would be a nice touch to pull out a vial marked " hemlock " ;)

jimbob

The Celt
Im not sure, but my wicca friend said they are somewhat like druids, but feel free to correct me if im wrong

DianeVera

Wicca is not Satanism. Satan is not part of the Wiccan pantheon. However....

Wicca is a modern religion with many roots, both ancient and modern. And, although most Wiccans don't like to admit it, ONE of those many roots is
indeed nineteenth-century literary Satanism, which influenced various other forms of occultism as well. For details, see my article Satanism and the History of Wicca and my update to that article. See also my critique of various mis-statements commonly made by Wiccans and other Pagans about Satanism.

TreeHugger22 said:
it's definetly not. one of the basic beliefs in Wicca:
An ye harm none, do as ye will.
"An it harm none, do what ye will" is historically a variant of Crowley's "Do what thou wilt." (Gardner was strongly influenced by Crowley and is known to have used some of Crowley's rituals.) Crowley, though not a full-fledged Satanist, did call upon Satan in some of his rituals (e.g. Liber Samekh) and was fond of Satanic imagery and Satanic/Pagan/occult double entendres.

Furthermore, the complete Wiccan Rede poem was originally publicized in an article in Green Egg magazine back in 1975. Unfortunately, that article no longer seems to be available on the web, though until recently it was available on a well-known website called the Wiccan Rede Project. Anyhow, that Green Egg article was written by a person with an explicitly Luciferian point of view.

None of this proves that Wicca is, itself, a form of Satanism, or that it venerates Satan in any way. Nor does it prove that Wicca is in any way "evil" or whatever. However, like it or not, various Satanic elements ARE a part of Wicca's rather convoluted family tree.

DianeVera

Fluffy said:
The thing is that the level of intolerance towards Wicca is perhaps higher than other religions. For example if I wanted to have a serious discussion about Christianity with any of my school friends then they would probably enter into this quite willingly. This would be the same for almost anyone I know. However, as soon as Wicca is mentioned, or more importantly the word witch, then people react mockingly and with much scorn. People don't treat Wicca as evil anymore. They treat it as a joke. The religion for depressed teenagers who are deliberately trying to be different from everyone else. Which is such a tragic way for a this religion to be viewed.
In your experience, what sorts of reactions do the words "Pagan" and "pantheist" get from most people these days? Any different from the typical reaction to the words "Wiccan" and "Witch"? (Of course, both "Pagan" and "pantheist" are less specific than "Wicca".)

fabbers

DianeVera said:
Wicca is not Satanism. Satan is not part of the Wiccan pantheon. However....
ide like to correct you there. there isnt a certain wiccan pantheon seeing that they use any pantheon they choose. even the christian one if they chose to but that is rare. wiccans do not believe in satan :tsk:

Era

Kreeden , why do you say that in practice you don`t see any diference between christianity and satanism ? Now the sacrifice part it is just a mith like many others made by a certain religion . If people still believe this in this days , then I think that a sort of education is required .

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I think the question is as valid as asking 'are Christians murderers?' - a small minority of Christians have murdered, but that doesn't mean that Christians are murderes.

In the same light, from what I have read, Wiccans are not practicing Satanism per se - although some might do so.:)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A new, sarcastic answer, and I would tell your professor this, but thats just me.
If Wiccan's are Satanist, then there is a 50 foot giant in Indiana that lives in my back yard, and I work very hard day and night to make sure he is never spoted by anyone.

Circle_One

Cold-Stone said:
Yes-absolutely,

Wiccans are indeed satanic : )

hope that helps.

Cold-Stone Advantage

You know, I have to wonder (and muchly hope) that you are joking here, Cold Stone. If not, where, exactly are you getting your information from? I'd really like to know.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
All religions have some similarities. I think that if you took the time to read what the Satanists have shared with us on the Forums, you would find that it is not what you had assumed it was.

Wicca and Satanism are two different religions just like Catholics and Mormons are two different religions. The one big thing that Wicca and Satanist have in common is taking the power that God gave all of us, and claiming the creator within them. God told us that we were all like God's, but Satan was one who went to far, and found himself opposite of God.

Accepting these religions is a not a sin, unless you go against God's will. Most witches I know are very in tuned to God's will, whether they acknowledge it or not. They follow the same basic rules that Christianity and other religions do. Harm no one. And what you do comes back to you. Casting spells is no different than saying prayers, and what you give is what you get, regardless of what path you choose.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Era said:
Kreeden , why do you say that in practice you don`t see any diference between christianity and satanism ? Now the sacrifice part it is just a mith like many others made by a certain religion . If people still believe this in this days , then I think that a sort of education is required .
I'm sorry Era , I lost track of this thread and didn't see your question until now ... and I had to go back over the thread twice to find the post that I believe you are refering to . :) Is it this one ?

But I think that Zero9 makes a very good point . LaVey taught then we { or his followers at lest } WHERE / ARE Gods . He called his beliefs Satanism because it so different from Christianity , or so he claimed . In actual practice , I couldn't say .
If so , I never said that I don't see any difference between the two in practice , I said that I couldn't say if there is or not . That is simply because I have never been inside a Church of Satan , so can't say what goes on there . :) Sorry for the confusion .

Circle-One,

That's a fair question. I suppose we would have to first define the word Satanic.

How are you defining the word Satanic? Because via your personal specific definition I might agree that it is NOT. And when you give your definition, how do you know if your definition is correct? And if it possibly might not be correct, then perhaps your position that Wiccans are NOT satanic could also be incorrect (since your definition of satanic may or may not be correct).

So basically, how do you know it is NOT satanic and again, what does satanic mean and how do you know?

From my personal system of philosophy (Judeo-Christian), it would be satanic given the categories of the spirit realms. Now you may disagree with my very old system which is based on blibllical history, that's fine. But you have to justify that your system is correct in its thinking so that I can then reconsider my position.

So again Circle,

1) What does it mean to be satanic?
2) How do you know that your definition is correct
3) and If you're not absolutely positive of the definition, how can you be absolutely positive about your conclusion that it is NOT satanic?

Cold-Stone Advantage

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Hmmm , my guess would be because she refuses to allow you to define the world for her Stone . :banghead3

Mind you , that is only a guess ... But the same questions can be directed towards you . How do you know that your definition is correct , which of course it isn't for everyone . And how can you be absolutely positive about your conclusion that it IS satanic?

Fluffy

A fool
1) What does it mean to be satanic?
There are 4 definitions of Satanic which are generally accepted by most people. You are free to make up others or use some of the lesser used ones if you wish.
1) Anyone not adhering to Christianity
2) Anyone not adhering to Christianity, Judaism or Islam
3) Anyone of the religion Satanism
4) Anyone who worships Satan as a deity.

2) How do you know that your definition is correct
The meanings of words are correct as long as enough people accept them as so. I could say you were cool and have a very different meaning to your interpretation of the word but that doesn't mean that my meaning is wrong. They are both correct. Similarly archaic definitions (such as gay meaning happy) are also correct, just not in a modern context.
3) and If you're not absolutely positive of the definition, how can you be absolutely positive about your conclusion that it is NOT satanic?
I'm absolutely positive about those definitions. I'm absolutely positive that Wicca is satanic according to the first 2 and not according to the last 2. However, I could say similar sentences but replacing Wicca with any religion barring Christianity. For me, that makes such a distinction meaningless to anyone except a Christian.

Simply put, you can continue to believe that Wicca is satanic as much as you wish. You can even back it up with other beliefs such as saying Wiccans worship the Devil. However, the moment you present such beliefs as facts, is the moment that I have a problem with what you are saying simply because it is incorrect.

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
Fluffy said:
There are 4 definitions of Satanic which are generally accepted by most people. You are free to make up others or use some of the lesser used ones if you wish.
Fluffy said:
1) Anyone not adhering to Christianity
2) Anyone not adhering to Christianity, Judaism or Islam
These definitions are now redundant :cool:, Because of the diversity of religions these days...

Fluffy said:
3) Anyone of the religion Satanism
Bingo. This is now the mainstream use of the word.

Fluffy said:
4) Anyone who worships Satan as a deity.
People who worship Satan are more myth than anything else. This defintion is misleading "oh dude, that guys a satanist!" "omfg satan worsihp1111!!!one!1", so its pretty much redundant also. :bounce