• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are We Hungry? Are We Nurturing?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Have we come to nourish, or steal? What are we doing here?

People do not despise a thief if he steals to satisfy his hunger when he is starving.

The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

People do not despise a thief if he steals to satisfy his hunger when he is starving.

The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor.

People do not despise a thief if he steals with the intent above. But how does God feel about it?

Exodus 20:15

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
People do not despise a thief if he steals with the intent above. But how does God feel about it?

Exodus 20:15
love does no harm and isn't indifferent to harm.. the letter of the law is not necessarily like the Spirit of the Law.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

People do not despise a thief if he steals with the intent above. But how does God feel about it? Exodus 20:15

Thou shalt not steal = Well meant general advice God gives

Love thy neighbor as thyself + Do unto others what you would do them unto you

So also a thief would not despice others for doing what he did [according to OP. So all is cool I think with "God".]
Maybe this can be seen as a mutual agreeable deed. Starving as in OP is quite a big emergency I think. God understands this. He is Samaritan IMO.

And anyway I don't believe God judges. God is eternal witness IMO. Not so much "feeling" like we are feeling if you ask me.

Maybe it would have been best for the starving man to ask first. But when starving I reckon mind is not working good. Once my bloodsugar went to 1,0 due to starvation and my brain faculties were not that good anymore. Kind of survival mode kicks in when in starvation mode [in my case coma started kicking in].

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Oh i despise a thief, any thief whether they are stealing for personal gain or to feed hunger.

The theft can leave those they steel from in the same hungry (or worse) situation. As well as breaking the law.

But if the hungry person has self respect and respect for others they will ask. I will always provide a meal to those honestly in need requesting help.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Thou shalt not steal = Well meant general advice God gives

Is it though?

A commandment (in this context) is defined as divine law. Advice is simply a recommendation. Do you think God's intent was simply to suggest that we do not steal?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But if the hungry person has self respect and respect for others they will ask.

I disagree with this statement. I've experienced those in need that, while they have self respect, are simply too proud to ask.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.

But not to proud to steal?

Taking ownership of anything on Earth, including yourself, you have already thought to steal from God.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I've had a manager that knew she could come to me if she was in need of a loan steal money from the store safe because she was afraid of me judging her for asking.

So she broke the law rather than be honestly open. theft is theft no matter what the thieves justification

stvdv

Is it though?
A commandment (in this context) is defined as divine law. Advice is simply a recommendation. Do you think God's intent was simply to suggest that we do not steal?

I think it was not about stealing food when starving. I believe it had to do with more urgent matters. Steal someones wife or kids or really valuable stuff.

And still I do not think that God judges if it's true that "God loves unconditional". And if God is so powerful there are more urgent matters to attend I think.

But still it is good advice "thou shalt not steal". Maybe in His next edition He might add "except when starving you can steal a bread and some wine";)
[And even better to add "but better ask first, miracles do happen. Humans need to be told everything in detail]

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So she broke the law rather than be honestly open. theft is theft no matter what the thieves justification

I never claimed it wasn't. I merely expressed my disagreement with your statement in post #5.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
But still it is good advice "thou shalt not steal". Maybe in His next edition He might add "except when starving you can steal a bread and some wine";)

But only in the form of transubstantiation...

stvdv

But only in the form of transubstantiation...

Yes that is the optimum. I once partook of bread and wine in a church. Really convinced my gluten problem would not be an issue now. Got me 2 weeks sick.
[I lost a bit my confidence in Jesus. But was okay, few weeks after my Master gave me a plate full of bread to eat. I was scared to eat but what to do. My Master I still trusted, Church not so much. And a miracle happened, my Master cured my gluten allergy]. But I don't blame Jesus. It was a good lesson to stay equal minded "cured or not cured".

I just found the below, that really makes sense to me "stealing as being a capital offence"
Thou shalt not steal - Wikiquote

"Steal" in this commandment has traditionally been interpreted by Jewish commentaries to refer to the stealing of an actual human being, that is, to kidnapping. With this understanding, a contextual translation of the commandment in Jewish tradition would more accurately be reflected as "Thou shalt not kidnap", with kidnapping being a capital offence and thus included among the Ten Commandments. Nevertheless, and especially in non-Jewish traditions, the commandment has come to commonly and colloquially be understood or interpreted to prohibit the unauthorized taking of property, or theft, which is a wrongful action that does not ordinarily incur the death penalty and is prohibited elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible.

Sleeppy

I have stolen northing from your bronze age myth so please to not make accusations

Bronze age? The singularity that created this universe existed before then. From it, the Earth came to be, before you. What did you create, that you alone own it?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Bronze age? The singularity that created this universe existed before then. From it, the Earth came to be, before you. What did you create, that you alone own it?

Seems your grasp of cosmology is lacking. No god required for the creation of the universe and earth is a natural product of accretion of stellar dust.

Own what?

Matthew 7:1-6 comes to mind here

Sleeppy

Seems your grasp of cosmology is lacking. No god required for the creation of the universe and earth is a natural product of accretion of stellar dust.

Own what?

Matthew 7:1-6 comes to mind here

Define God.

You may not call the Singularity, that which created and sustains the universe, 'God', but that is besides the point. What are you able to claim ownership of?