• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Christians who believe we are no less devine than Christ?

SamSmith

Hello,

I don't believe that Christ was more the child of god than anyone else. Does this exclude me from being a Christian?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hello,

I don't believe that Christ was more the child of god than anyone else. Does this exclude me from being a Christian?
I believe that every one of us has a spark of the divine within us and is given the potential to become as Christ was. I don't, however, believe that any of us have met our potential at this point. As C.S. Lewis put it:

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a bit vague, but you may be in line with the Christadelphians.

SamSmith

According to wikipedia, Christadelphians believe Jesus is the son of god. I would agree in the sense that we are all god's children (figuratively speaking) but I don't think this what is meant by "son of god". One this point, I suspect my belief is incompatible with the vast majority of Christians.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
According to wikipedia, Christadelphians believe Jesus is the son of god. I would agree in the sense that we are all god's children (figuratively speaking) but I don't think this what is meant by "son of god". One this point, I suspect my belief is incompatible with the vast majority of Christians.
Looks like it may be time for you to branch out regarding religion.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello,

There are a couple of possibilities I know of. Rival mentioned one. Another for you may be through the Orthodox churches.

I was watching this video by Holy Annunciation Church in Brisbane Australia. The Orthodox priest there was explaining the Nicene creed and why he thought he was a monotheist, not a tri-theist, and he said at minute 7 something like what you are saying. He said that "In order for humanity to be saved the gap between God and men has to be bridged.......mercifully God and fully human all at the same time.....Christ united human nature with divine nature..." and then says in minute 8 that human nature has been 'Elevated'. So...that is one thing for you to inquire about with the Orthodox.

They have embraced a concept termed 'God manifestation,' which could be somewhat like what the OP is talking about. It is a pretty cool idea.

My opinion on the Christadelphian movement:
It is a very small group that tends to isolate itself from other Christian groups. Many are extremely strict about what must be believed, and if you disagree about something then they can't fellowship with you, such as if you don't believe that children who die are saved or if you do. I'd say they are the fullest example of inflexible fellowship you will find anywhere, probably doomed to disintegrate into ever smaller groups until there is nothing left.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Do you believe in the divinity of Christ? I’m just slightly confused. I think the Christian teaching is that we are all Christ. Like the communion and stuff, taking part of His blood and body. With salvation through His blood, our souls become united with Him. We are the same as Christ, at least, when we die, God will see Christ when He sees us, and we will spend eternity in Heaven as a result. …
So if you don’t believe in His divinity, then I assume you wouldn’t believe that His blood offers eternal salvation? If you do believe in His divinity, then I would say you are a Christian imo.

Jeremiah Ames

Hello,

probably, Christianity as it exists today, has a lot of man made doctrine that excludes many people

i am pretty sure that is one of them

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Hello,

Can I ask you what makes you believe as you do? What was the influence? Personal thought or an external idea that appealed to you?

What is your own definition of a Christian? To me it is being a "footstep follower of Christ". But who is Jesus Christ, before, during and after his earthly mission? What does the Bible teach about him, and are we at liberty to formulate our own ideas as to who and what he claimed to be?

SamSmith

Do you believe in the divinity of Christ? I’m just slightly confused. I think the Christian teaching is that we are all Christ. Like the communion and stuff, taking part of His blood and body. With salvation through His blood, our souls become united with Him. We are the same as Christ, at least, when we die, God will see Christ when He sees us, and we will spend eternity in Heaven as a result. …
So if you don’t believe in His divinity, then I assume you wouldn’t believe that His blood offers eternal salvation? If you do believe in His divinity, then I would say you are a Christian imo.

I believe we are all equally devine, Christ included

SamSmith

Can I ask you what makes you believe as you do? What was the influence? Personal thought or an external idea that appealed to you?

Probably a combination of environment, personal experience, reading and thinking about the topic

What is your own definition of a Christian? To me it is being a "footstep follower of Christ".

Does "footstep follower" mean more than agreeing with the principals of Christ's philosophy?

But who is Jesus Christ, before, during and after his earthly mission? What does the Bible teach about him, and are we at liberty to formulate our own ideas as to who and what he claimed to be?

To rephrase my question using your style - are we at liberty to believe that we are all no more or less divine and human as Christ but still be considered Christian?

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Probably a combination of environment, personal experience, reading and thinking about the topic.
If you mean that you are a "son of God" in the same way as Jesus was, then the Bible would disagree with you.
No human on earth was like Jesus because he had a pre-human existence in heaven and had been "with God" from the "beginning". Do you think you have been with God from the same beginning? IOW do you believe that you existed in heaven before your human birth? I think the LDS believe that.

Does "footstep follower" mean more than agreeing with the principals of Christ's philosophy?
It means becoming an imitator of his personality, his love and his loyalty to those he loved.....it also means being an observer of his teachings, not picking and choosing, but trying our best to observe all of them, even the more difficult ones, just as his first century followers did despite sometimes strong opposition. (John 15:18-21)

To rephrase my question using your style - are we at liberty to believe that we are all no more or less divine and human as Christ but still be considered Christian?
IMO...no. but can you define "divine" for me?

I believe that Jesus was "divine" (from God, or like God) in a way that we mere mortals could never be, because in order to be a "son of God", you have to have been created by him....like Adam was. (Luke 3:38)
Humans are called "son of man".....i.e. born of a woman. Jesus was uniquely both.

The pre-human Jesus was created by his Father as the first and "only begotten son of God"....everything else came "through" the agency of the son.....who was the first of his creative activities. (Colossians 1:15-17; Revelation 3:14) He left his place in heaven to come to earth as a human in order to redeem mankind from the sin inherited from Adam. A sinless life given for the sinless life lost for all of Adam's children.

I believe that for a chosen few, being "born again" means a new birth.....like Jesus, they are resurrected to spirit life in heaven, which means that God creates a new spirit body for those assigned to rule in his Kingdom. (Revelation 20:6)
But in the flesh, "divine" was reserved for Jesus alone. The "holy ones" who will rule with him in heaven will be divine beings upon their resurrection....a "new creation". That is how I understand it.

SamSmith

Do you think you have been with God from the same beginning? IOW do you believe that you existed in heaven before your human birth?

No

It means becoming an imitator of his personality, his love and his loyalty to those he loved.....it also means being an observer of his teachings, not picking and choosing

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Read literally, this could be understood as an exhortation to hate our biological family members. Obviously we have to choose a different interpretation. Your interpretation might be different to mine. By "picking and choosing", do you mean taking an uncommon interpretation?

Last edited: