• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any Atheists that meditate?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Are you implying that the theistic schools did? I am not sure that follows.

I am very familiar with Hindu schools and not a single non-theistic school is responsible for contributing to the norms of Dharma and Karma or any other concept in Hinduism.
The Mimamsa school for example was responsible for contributions that were exclusive to itself.
Although the more intellectually sound schools have been non-theistic(Buddhism is such an example) none of these schools are responsible for the foundations of the primary religion, Hinduism. If this was the case there would be record of it and Hindus would not be a theistic majority throughout history.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've meditated on and off for about a dozen years. I think having a purpose for meditation, spiritual or otherwise, destroys mediation. But then, there are different kinds of meditation, and perhaps it does not destroy some kinds.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've meditated on and off for about a dozen years. I think having a purpose for meditation, spiritual or otherwise, destroys mediation. But then, there are different kinds of meditation, and perhaps it does not destroy some kinds.

I find this somewhat confusing. Can you explain why someone would do something without having a purpose for doing that thing? In other words, if there is no motivation for doing something, then what would compel someone to do it?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I find this somewhat confusing. Can you explain why someone would do something without having a purpose for doing that thing? In other words, if there is no motivation for doing something, then what would compel someone to do it?

You meditate when you feel a meditation coming on, rather than try to induce meditation. If you try to induce a meditation, you will always have a purpose to meditation. The purpose or motive will then guide or shape the meditation.

But if you meditate when you feel a meditation coming on, then you have a chance of something as purposeless as idly and without point or purpose watching the sunlight dapple your lawn, the breeze wave a field of grass, or the flies buzzing fresh dog poop.

On the other hand, if you find you have a purpose, then you don't try to shake if off, but you just recognize it, and if possible, without judging it.

None of the above should be taken to mean I don't sometimes discover that I am trying to meditate towards an end. Since some of my meditations in the past have been either quite pleasant or quite revealing, I tend nowadays to feel a meditation coming on, and then a desire to have, once again, a pleasant or revealing meditation. But that desire can get in the way of genuine meditation. At least, what I consider genuine meditation -- which is, of course, meditation on MysticSangha's tush.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I myself admit that I do my best and msot thoughtful meditation after I drink a couple shots of dizzy juice

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
You meditate when you feel a meditation coming on, rather than try to induce meditation.

I guess this might be the core of the confusion. In my experience, deep meditation is always an intentional process, and not something that just comes on. I suppose "mediate" has a number of connotations, interpretations, and contexts.

But if you meditate when you feel a meditation coming on, then you have a chance of something as purposeless as idly and without point or purpose watching the sunlight dapple your lawn, the breeze wave a field of grass, or the flies buzzing fresh dog poop.

I certainly enjoy and take advantage of these types of meditations. However, again, I suppose I'm defining "to meditate" as a specific process which brings about certain psychological and neurological states which require repeated practice of said process in order for them to come about.

On the other hand, if you find you have a purpose, then you don't try to shake if off, but you just recognize it, and if possible, without judging it.

I think even recognizing it in the moment, and letting such types of meditation "come on," involves a level of intention and purpose. Any consciousness which guides a decision - even the decision to allow a mental state to develop and continue or not, implies some level of purpose for doing so or not.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I certainly enjoy and take advantage of these types of meditations.

Those may be meditations to some of us, but I personally don't regard those as anything I mean by "meditations". I was using the examples of watching the sunlight on your grass, etc as analogies, as examples of idle or purposeless thought, not as examples of actual meditation. Meditation, to me, can be idle or purposeless, but it is not quite the same as thought. It goes on beneath thought, so to speak.

I have to run to the store now. Back later.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I am very familiar with Hindu schools and not a single non-theistic school is responsible for contributing to the norms of Dharma and Karma or any other concept in Hinduism.
The Mimamsa school for example was responsible for contributions that were exclusive to itself.
Although the more intellectually sound schools have been non-theistic(Buddhism is such an example) none of these schools are responsible for the foundations of the primary religion, Hinduism. If this was the case there would be record of it and Hindus would not be a theistic majority throughout history.

That is a surprising statement to read, that much I have to say.

But I lack the knowledge of Hinduism to refute it or to confirm it.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
That is a surprising statement to read, that much I have to say.

But I lack the knowledge of Hinduism to refute it or to confirm it.

My issue is that I just breezed through it and felt inspired by it. A lot of it I paid no attention to but I did familiarize myself with various concepts. Karma especially although Dharma was more important to me since I can sum it up with Dharma

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I guess this might be the core of the confusion. In my experience, deep meditation is always an intentional process, and not something that just comes on. I suppose "mediate" has a number of connotations, interpretations, and contexts.

I don't know much about meditation other than there are different styles. I've only tried two distinct styles of it. The first style didn't quite suite me although I found it relaxing. I was introduced to that style by a professor who was making a study of why at least some forms of meditation seem to produce remarkable initial results and then begin to fade in their ability to reproduce those initial results. That is, why people have "dry spells" during which meditation does not seem to work for them. But yes, there are different styles of meditation. I suppose the important thing is to find one that you feel some kind of affinity for.

I think even recognizing it in the moment, and letting such types of meditation "come on," involves a level of intention and purpose.

I don't know that it involves for me any more intent or purpose than, say, idly watching ants running along a log in a forest. I suppose you could say, "Well, your purpose is to kill time", or something, but I'm not always aware of even trying to kill time when I do something like that. It's just idle watching. And meditation seems to me like that -- idle watching. Only it's also other than that.

Any consciousness which guides a decision - even the decision to allow a mental state to develop and continue or not, implies some level of purpose for doing so or not.

I agree. At least to some great extent. But I'm not sure whether all meditation is guided by consciousness. Perhaps some meditations arise from the subconscious, so to speak.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
There are many benefits to meditation in my experience. I think there have been studies on the subjuect but do not quote me on that.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I have found it to help with stress just by the method of clearing the mind and calmness and all that good stuff but warding of disease? Sounds fishy.

Meh, as a totally non-scientific take, straight off the cuff, and without any substance whatsoever...

Stress is generally seen to increase risk of illness. It lowers the immune system, and consistent stress over prolonged periods contributes to increased rates of illness.

So, anything which reduces stress, whilst technically not helping to ward off disease, would potentially result in a lower rate of disease if compared to the more highly stressed general population.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
For me meditation has nothing to do with god, prayer is begging god to do something, its just nagging. Meditation is going into silence, its connecting with your being, which is connected to all there is, its dropping the mind and opening up within.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
For me meditation has nothing to do with god, prayer is begging god to do something, its just nagging. Meditation is going into silence, its connecting with your being, which is connected to all there is, its dropping the mind and opening up within.

This is about the most amazing definition of prayer I have ever heard yet alone your description of meditation. :)

stillsong

The scientists say that the visible universe is 4% of the entire universe. The other 96% of the universe is composed of something we have no knowledge of. For convenience we call it dark matter and dark energy.
Debating the existence or non-existence of dark matter and dark energy is a frivolous as debating God or no god. There is something we don't understand with the intellect that we can tap into by listening that brings us closer to an intuitive awareness of what is.
Whatever road brings you to this point no longer matters. When you reach the other side of the river, you no longer need the raft.