• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there any apps on advaita vedanta?

The Crimson Universe

I looked up on playstore. There are many apps on vedanta but not sure which one is the best that gives free lessons to beginners on advaita philosophy.
Well, i'm not really a beginner as you all know :p but i only possess a kind of basic knowledge about this philosophy. I don't have a thorough complete knowledge on advaita.

Yes there are many websites but i'm more interested in online classes or mobile apps that would have a chat feature through which i could regularly ask questions to the teachers or gurus, on matters like maya's various roles, differences in the beliefs of bhamati and vivarna schools, what happens after moksha etc.

If there aren't any such apps with chat feauture then even books would suffice for now. :)

Last edited:

shivsomashekhar

@Greg Levenski from what I have seen, most people here do not have that level of depth on Advaita. They would not be familiar with the names you mention - Bhamati, Vivarana, etc.

What I see is mostly superficial ideas mixed with Yoga, meditation, neo-vedanta and other new age ideas (supported by a couple of quotes from the Viveka Chudamani) combined with a Universalist attitude and this combo is mistaken as traditional Advaita. This is not their fault, because there is a lot of misinformation on the internet and in modern spiritual organizations.

So, your problem is not as much as finding the right sources, but in staying away from incorrect sources. Nisargadatta, Ramana, Vivekananda and most other modern day Gurus are neo-vedantins and are not authoritative sources on traditional Advaita.

My recommendation is Encyclopedia of Indian Philosophies Vol. III: Advaita Vedanta up to Samkara and his Pupils (Karl Potter) and
A History of Indian Philosophy SN Dasgupta (volume 2)

This should give you information all the way to Prakashatman (Vivarana), Vachaspati Mishra (Bhamati), and Madhusudhana Saraswati.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I second what Shivsomashekhar wrote.

S. N. Dasgupta is my old favorite. I do not think there can be any better book than the 2nd volume of his "History of Indian Philosophy" which you can download from A History Of Indian Philosophy-vol-iind : Surendranath Dasgupta : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Karl Potters book at Encyclopedia Of Indian Philosophy Volume 03 Advaita Vedanta Up To Samkara And His Pupils Karl Potter H. : Salena Vohra : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive