• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are religious people mentally ill / psychotic?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It takes more to be a Christian than not - IMO.

I think you need to ask more questions about Christianity.
Christianity doesn't have anything to do with it. That's why I said you do not have a monopoly or exclusive rights on this sort of thing helping. And it doesn't magically change or cure people. It doesn't, no more or less than those devoted to Jonestown (also Christian) or Heaven's Gate.
You keep implying I'm the one who needs to learn more, but you've only shown ylu know hardly a scant fleck of this subject, and a heavily one sided view of it at that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
If we believe God created things, that is not called nothing

Hmm. That's an important point I very very rarely hear. This is one of the most traditional Islamic positions. But I don't think your audience understood what you said.

How Muslim philosophers explained this is that all we really know is that at one point there was nothing while God being the necessary being. And then at another point of time creation existed while God is the necessary being.

So the Muslim position is not that "something was created out of nothing".

Good. Who are you? I would like to know.

Audie

Veteran Member
No religious people are not mentally ill

As atheists wonder how can we believe in something that we can't see, and can't prove, theists also wonder how atheists think the whole think started out of nothing, or just by accident

"Nothing, by accident."
Right.

Einstein never actually said it, about Insanity
defined as doing the same and expecting different results.

But

Is it sane for so many religionists to keep
repeating this ridiculous falsehood/ insult?

Or is it the Christian Spirit truly revealed in action?

Last edited:

vulcanlogician

Yep. Those Catholics and Baptists are just recent flashes in the pan.

Baptists used to annoy the hell out of me. I used to think they were all self-important hypocrites.

To my surprise, I discovered that a great many aren't.

It's just that your average self-important, hypocrite Baptist is roughly 500 times louder than the more modest variety. It's that way with a lotta fundies actually. The honest, kind, and sincere ones slip under the radar. You hardly notice them, let alone identify them as fundies.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
Hmm. That's an important point I very very rarely hear. This is one of the most traditional Islamic positions. But I don't think your audience understood what you said.

How Muslim philosophers explained this is that all we really know is that at one point there was nothing while God being the necessary being. And then at another point of time creation existed while God is the necessary being.

So the Muslim position is not that "something was created out of nothing".

Good. Who are you? I would like to know.

I am your digital friend.

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
"Nothing, by accident."
Right.

Einstein never actually said it, about Insanity
defined as doing the same and expecting different results.

But

Is it sane for so many religionists to keep
repeating this ridiculous falsehood/ insult?

Or is it the Christian Spirit truly revealed in action?

What insult?

Viker

Häxan
Psychosis is when you perceived reality for what it is not.
a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

If there is no God(s), does that mean religious people are experiencing a form of psychosis that has simply been normalized?

If Jesus isn't the son of God, then a Christian has lost contact with reality when they believe Jesus is hearing their prayers and will come back to Earth one day. It is delusional, is it not? If there is no gods that is.
As theists don't all agree with each other, some of them have to be wrong. So we know for sure that some religious people are delusional, right? Believing reality for what it is not.

Mental illness is no light topic and I don't intend to be using it lightly here. A genuine question this is.
Until science can establish that there is an uncontestable and universally knowable reality, religion offers alternatives. Basic religious beliefs/ideas are no different than personal opinions on one's favorite car or brand of coffee. Ever definition of reality I have witnessed has been subjective. I'm not accepting just any other maniacs definition. Reality is for the birds.

Applying a prognosis of mental illness to those whose views we don't agree is basically crazy itself.

We Never Know

No Slack
Until science can establish that there is an uncontestable and universally knowable reality, religion offers alternatives. Basic religious beliefs/ideas are no different than personal opinions on one's favorite car or brand of coffee. Ever definition of reality I have witnessed has been subjective. I'm not accepting just any other maniacs definition. Reality is for the birds.

Applying a prognosis of mental illness to those whose views we don't agree is basically crazy itself.

"Applying a prognosis of mental illness to those whose views we don't agree is basically crazy itself."

What :eek:. That's crazy o_O lol

RAYYAN

Proud Muslim
You have to think we are really stupid,
for us to bieve such stupid things as you
say.
You know that but tnx for the chance to
underline it.

I really don't know if you are stupid. at least not 100% sure
But, what I said is true

Last edited:

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Psychosis is when you perceived reality for what it is not.
a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

If there is no God(s), does that mean religious people are experiencing a form of psychosis that has simply been normalized?

If Jesus isn't the son of God, then a Christian has lost contact with reality when they believe Jesus is hearing their prayers and will come back to Earth one day. It is delusional, is it not? If there is no gods that is.
As theists don't all agree with each other, some of them have to be wrong. So we know for sure that some religious people are delusional, right? Believing reality for what it is not.

Mental illness is no light topic and I don't intend to be using it lightly here. A genuine question this is.
If that's so, 90 some percent of the people on earth are mentally ill. Seems unlikely.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You have to think we are really stupid,
for us to bieve such stupid things as you
say.
You know that but tnx for the chance to
underline it.

I think you have a false consensus problem in your mind. If you think that all of your "we" group think others are "stupid" and their beliefs are "stupid" then you are wrong. What ever you think your "we" group is, agnostic, atheist or what ever it is, educated ones are not so bigoted to think the "others" are stupid and their beliefs are stupid or anything of the sort.

This just shows a weakness. Some kind of complex.