• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are JW a sect ?

Clara Tea

Exactly. Not to mention Mormonism and Dispensationalism.

This whole "my version of Christianity isn't a sect/denomination/whatever, that's all the other types of Christians" is just another version of the Christians who say, "Christianity isn't a religion, that's all the other religions."
The opinion...."Mine is best" no matter what you believe. But isn't it lucky that we were born into a family religion (good enough for grandpa), and it was the correct religion?

It is this sense of superiority that leads to backstabbing other religions and diverseness. Shouldn't we bridge the gaps and get along? If we can't get along with fellow Christians, who piously attend church, as we do, how could we possibly get alone with our enemies?

Diplomacy is the key to peace. Jesus was the prince of peace.

Fallen Prophet

Are JW a sect ?

A sect: "...a group separating themselves from others and following their own tenets.
According to Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament.
Some modern definitions are:
1. A group of persons forming a cohesive, usually contentious minority within a larger group.
2. A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.

This term was applied to the adherents of the two prominent branches of Judaism, the Pharisees and Sadducees.
Ac 5:17;15:55;26:5.

The Jews and others called the Christians a sect,"the sect of the Nazarenes, viewing as a break-off from Judaism.Ac 224:5,14;28:22.
Although the Jews expected the Messiah. What they didn't expect and accept was that the Messiah would incorporate in his fold the nations and that he would replace the Mosaic law with a new religious arrangement (the New Testament).
Instead of being a breack-off it was the foretold step towards bringing salvation to the whole world not only to Judaism.

Jesus Christ expected his followers to be united in following his teachings, sects and divisions were viewed as belonging to the works of the flesh.

Since JW are called a sect amongst the different factions of Christendom. The question is, can that claim be substantiated ?
For this claim to be valid it should at least be demonstrated what religion JW have broken away from.

JW on the other hand assert that they meticulously follow Jesus teaching and scrupulously adhere to the ways of first century disciples of Christ. If incorrect that claim should be quite easy to contradict.

Do you have an opinion on this ?

Notes: this is not a survey, a perceptive answer would be appriciated.
Considering that the Catholic Church could be a "sect" separated from the original Church of Christ - they all be sects!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Are JW a sect ?

Since JW are called a sect amongst the different factions of Christendom. The question is, can that claim be substantiated ?
For this claim to be valid it should at least be demonstrated what religion JW have broken away from.

Do you have an opinion on this ?

The JWs are the largest active Christian religion in my home town. They are so numerous now that their very new 150 seat Kingdom Hall can only take half of the local congregation at a time, so the town is now divided in to East and West halves.

So I don't expect that JWs will mind too much about what outsiders describe their religion as.

Neuropteron

The JWs are the largest active Christian religion in my home town. They are so numerous now that their very new 150 seat Kingdom Hall can only take half of the local congregation at a time, so the town is now divided in to East and West halves.

So I don't expect that JWs will mind too much about what outsiders describe their religion as.

As long as they don't erect a wall you should be safe.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I do. I have an opinion on just about everything, however unpopular or insufferable it may be.

I think how others label JWs is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how JWs label themselves. If your a JW, and you see yourself as part of a sect, then yes, JWs are a sect. If you are a JW and reject the idea that you are a part of a sect, then no, JWs are not a sect.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Of course, the question of whether the JWs are a sect of Christianity really comes down to JW criticism of other Christian denominations.

IOW, the "critics" here are the JWs.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Of course, the question of whether the JWs are a sect of Christianity really comes down to JW criticism of other Christian denominations.

IOW, the "critics" here are the JWs.
Seems to me it boils down to how one defines the words "sect" and "Christian"...

Muffled

Jesus in me
I tried, but I can’t see beyond the faulty analogy.

I believe I am glad you tried. I believe it is a matter of definitions. JW's do not create those definitions. Someone else does. I an imagine that Jw's have blinders on and can't see that they fit the definition but those who do not have to protect that Identity can see it easily.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Snapping, snarling, and vicious people won't get into heaven. Unless my concept of heaven is wrong...if so, it is like hell.

I pity the much maligned Jehovah's Witnesses. They have as much right to their religion as everyone else.

Christianity is divisive (it splits up people, and drives them apart). It isn't supposed to do that.

People are supposed to treat each other like brothers and recognize that we are all God's children.

People tend to gripe about the splinters in their neighbor's eyes, while ignoring the logs in their own (as the bible says).

I believe it isn't that way. I have always loved the JW's I have know and they have loved me. They just refuse to see the truth which is sad now but what impact that will have on the future is hard to say.

Muffled

Jesus in me
And the RCC is a sect of Judaism...
So if "sects" are bad...

I believe every group that has members split from it thinks they are bad for leaving. I believe a difference of opinion does not make a person bad. I believe the opinion could be bad or good.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I believe every group that has members split from it thinks they are bad for leaving. I believe a difference of opinion does not make a person bad. I believe the opinion could be bad or good.
So which are we talking about, the sects or the people that make up the sects?