• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Jews still God's Chosen People?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Christian attitude to Jews has tended to be episodic.
The Holocaust was never a religious affair, it was an attempted Racial extermination along with other Sub races defined by nazism.
Most of the Christian nations that attacked or threw out Jews in the middle ages did so because Christian rulers saw it as a cheap way to avoid their debts. The call of God Killer was an excuse and rallying cry to the masses.
In the early years of Christianity It was not Christianity, but the enmity between Israel and Rome that was the problem.

Jewish peoples have throughout the ages made themselves so easily identifiable, that they have been easily picked on by anyone looking for a scapegoat.

In the real world of day to day living, many of us have no Idea if our friends are Jews or not.
An event that well illustrates that, is that my Daughter and Son in law Invited a few fellow Doctor friends for a meal.
One of the dishes was a Quiche lorraine. It turned out two of their friends were Jews.

However, as no christian kitchen observes the necessary culinary rules anyway, It was a disaster waiting to happen.
The above is wrong on several accounts. One is that religion definitely fed into the Holocaust, although it was certainly not the only factor. Secondly, we were generally kicked out or put into ghettos for religious reasons that date back to Aquinas' teachings. Thirdly, being "identifiable" hardly is an excuse for being killed. Fourthly, not all Jews keep kosher, so what does what we eat make a difference in regards to the discussion at hand? Fifthly, Protestant Germany was more of a problem for us than Catholic Germany, and most of the Nuremberg Laws that caused so much harm was a revival of what Luther had taught at a rather infamous speech at Nuremberg.

Flankerl

Jewish peoples have throughout the ages made themselves so easily identifiable, that they have been easily picked on by anyone looking for a scapegoat.

Uhm while it is indeed Jewish custom to wear a hat the so called "Jewish hat" and Yellow Badge of the middle ages were enforced upon us by Christian law which we had to wear if we wanted to leave the Ghettos at any given time.

See 4th Council of the Lateran.

Levite

Higher and Higher

Technically this is true, although historically, the episodes have tended to range from "low-level intolerance" to "vigorous persection." In the years between roughly 400 CE to 1950 or so, there have been few times and few places where there was true tolerance and equality between Christians and Jews.

The Holocaust was never a religious affair, it was an attempted Racial extermination along with other Sub races defined by nazism.

The issue with the Holocaust is not that the Nazis were doing it in the name of Christianity: we all know they were not doing so. The issue is more that Christian institutions did little (if anything) to object to the persecution of Jews-- or most other persecuted populations; pre-existing anti-Semitic tropes amongst European Christians were exploited by the Nazis to further their agenda, and such exploitation was usually quite successful; and Nazism itself would not have been able to gain the traction it did for its agenda-- whether in active supporters or in passive enablers-- were it not for a vicious tradition of anti-Semitism in Europe that had flourished for over a millennium.

Most of the Christian nations that attacked or threw out Jews in the middle ages did so because Christian rulers saw it as a cheap way to avoid their debts. The call of God Killer was an excuse and rallying cry to the masses.

This is actually not the case. Expulsions of Jews, and state-sponsored pogroms, and other such instances were much more often either purely political in motivation ("Kill the Jews" was a handy diversion to get the attention of Christian subjects away from widespread poverty or the failure of a recent war or a series of poor growing seasons or so forth) or were financial in motivation, but not because of Jews holding too much debt or suchlike, rather that expelling Jews was usually done with limitations that the Jews be driven forth with not much more than they could carry, and thus their abandoned possessions could be plundered and their lands or houses or businesses confiscated by the local lord or duke or king. It was politics and economics that were usually responsible for the extra (and heavy) "Jew taxes" that Jewish communities were forced to pay their Christian overlords; but it was Church policies and advisories that instituted the compelling of Jews to wear special hats or coats or badges on their garments, and that ordered that Jews be confined to their own neighborhoods and quarters, and not be allowed to live amongst Christians.

But all of those are separate from Church-sponsored pogroms, which were not only frequent, they were usually regular as clockwork. Lent was a season of increasing violence toward Jews, almost always culminating in a pogrom the week before Easter. Plus, there were great numbers of "disputations," where Jews were compelled to publicly debate some representative of the Church about the "truths" of the religions. If the Jews lost, which was most of the time, given that the "judges" were all either Churchmen or Christian nobles or both, the local Jews might be expelled or suffer forcible conversions, or might have to pay vast sums of money to the Church or the nobles or both as a bribe to avert consequences of expulsions or conversion or suchlike. When Jews lost such disputations, it was also common for the local representatives of the Church to publicly burn copies of the Talmud or Torah scrolls or other Jewish texts deemed wicked or whatnot.

Not to mention, you know, the crusades, where massacring and despoiling Jews was considered good practice for the armies on their way to "free the holy land." Or the Inquisition. Or the Spanish Inquisition. Or the promotion of blood libels. Or the creation of anti-Semitic "Passion plays."

Plus, remember it was a Christian policy (supported and advocated by the Church) to restrict Jews from most trades, and to severely limit how much land they could own or even outright ban them from owning land, which was how Jews got pushed into doing moneylending in the first place. It's not like we had ever specialized in moneylending before the turn of the second millennium, or like we weren't good at other trades, or like we just really liked moneylending. It was one of the few opportunities to make a living that Christian rule left us.

In the early years of Christianity It was not Christianity, but the enmity between Israel and Rome that was the problem.

Sure, up until maybe the fourth century, when Christianity became ascendant in the Roman Empire, eventually becoming one of the State Religions, and eventually the only State Religion. Upon which the Christians did not let go the enmity between Rome and the Jewish People (much less try to repair the damage done to the Jews), they continued the same oppression, this time in the name of Christianity.

I see. So we are to blame for not assimilating and hiding who we are? Really?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I would agree that the Jewish people have had a hard time. But it started long before christanity came along.
Like the other bullies in the school yard christians seem to have picked up where the others left off.
I am hard put to think why this has always been so.

When I was boy, despite Jews reaching the top level in politics, not only were they not accepted fully into "polite society" but they were still many laws that were prescriptive toward them.

Today at least, Jews are represented at every level in british society, so much so they are hardly ever noticed as being Jewish. It is true that in some locations they do stand out. At least those that still wear traditionl style dress. But few non Jews care and life goes on.

I have little idea what the situation is in other European countries, so i can only speak about what I see here.

The position of Israel seems to be discussed very diffently by both Jews and non Jews here. There seems a willingness to be be critical of Israeli politics and military adventurism by Jew and non Jew alike, to the extent that both can be found on the same side during demonstrations.

While I am sure that anti semitism is to be found live and well in the UK. it is extremely rare in daily life.

muhammad_isa

Judaism was not "born" the time of Moses.
Jews are actually considered to be Jews because of a son of Jacob,Judah.

That might well be so .. but we identify Judaism the religion with what prophet Moses brought..
..I'm aware of the lineage.
I'm not an expert on the Bible/OT, but was just pointing out that no particular religious group can claim that their creed/sect is 'the chosen one' :)

Jensen

If you want to take that verse out of context and take it to its logical conclusion, then we could not make images of anything. No drawings, artwork, photos, TV, film, etc. So be careful in how far you wish to take that before you get into Taliban-esque extremes.

Also, God did order the Israelites to create images, such as the golden Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant. We are allowed to have such things as aids to focus in worship and as also to give glory to God's majesty.

My question would be why do you need aids. Worship God directly.

Kolibri

If you want to take that verse out of context and take it to its logical conclusion, then we could not make images of anything. No drawings, artwork, photos, TV, film, etc. So be careful in how far you wish to take that before you get into Taliban-esque extremes.

Also, God did order the Israelites to create images, such as the golden Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenant. We are allowed to have such things as aids to focus in worship and as also to give glory to God's majesty.

There is a difference between an picture hung on a wall as a piece of art to help one visualize a Bible account and positioning oneself in front of the picture to gaze upon it as you pray.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
There is a difference between an picture hung on a wall as a piece of art to help one visualize a Bible account and positioning oneself in front of the picture to gaze upon it as you pray.

Read the links I just posted above, especially the first one.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I'm late to the party, which is Billiards Ball-speak for I didn't read any posts but the first post on this thread, but the Jews were and are the chosen people, and anyone who does not understand that is likely interpreting most of the NT wrong, because the NT speaks to THREE people groups:

Jewish people
Christian people (who are Jews and Gentiles)
Unsaved people

I guarantee--guarantee with three syllables as in GARE ON TEE!--your prophecy interpretations and depth of NT understanding are almost totally all wrong if you have "misplaced" the Jewish, chosen people.

bretzter

muhammad isa,might I suggest that you read the first 5 books of the Bible/OT?.
Because after doing so,you might come to the conclusion that Jews and Muslims
have alot more in common than you think?.
For example,did you know that Arabia was actually called Midian at the time of
Moses?.
I also find it interesting that both Jews,as well as Muslims consider Abraham to
be their father,why is that,when the story goes even further than just his having
his two sons Ishmael and Isaac,one also has to take into consideration their sons
and offspring,like for instance Isaac´s two sons,Jacob and his brother Esau.
As well as their having sons and daughters born unto them.
Actually I myself am of the Christian faith,and who were the very first Christians
if not Jews themselves.
A Judeo-Christian to use the correct term.
Meaning I believe in both the OT as much as I do the NT,and just like them,I am
circumcised in the flesh,as well as I consider my heart to be circumcised.
I believe in the very same God as those of the Jewish faith,Jah for short,only I
believe in Jesus Christ as the Son Of God,two seperate individuals.
But like Jews and Muslims alike,I too only believe in one God.
So I guess what I´m trying to get at,is that neither a Jew,nor a Muslim should make
the mistake of thinking all Christians believe Jesus is God.
Because they don´t.
Although we do as a religion have this in common,and that is that we basically hold
the same core truths such as the death,resurrection,and ascension of our Lord and
Savior.

muhammad_isa

For example,did you know that Arabia was actually called Midian at the time of
Moses?.

Yes, I did..

..A Judeo-Christian to use the correct term.
Meaning I believe in both the OT as much as I do the NT

Yes .. I was raised as a Christian

So I guess what I´m trying to get at,is that neither a Jew,nor a Muslim should make
the mistake of thinking all Christians believe Jesus is God.
Because they don´t.

I realise that..
..I still maintain that no particular religious group can claim that their creed/sect is 'the chosen one' :)

bretzter

Well since you obviously know what Midian is from reading the OT,I take it
that you are also aware of God´s opinion of Midian as well.
And secondly if you were to be so kind,what exactly is it that made you
change from the Christian faith to Islam?.
And when reading the Koran,did you also happen to have a Bible handy
for reference purposes,or comparison purposes.
And if by chance you did,what was it that you personally found to be any
different that made you change your set of beliefs that was so interesting?.
And like it with the Bible,I too have delved into/read the Koran.
And believe you me,it´s not like I didn´t try to make any sense of it,I actually
couldn´t make any sense of it.
No matter how hard I tried to do so.
And although I found it to be an interesting read,I found it also contradicted
alot of what the Bible had to say.
Especially when it came to the observance the Ten Commandments.

muhammad_isa

..what exactly is it that made you
change from the Christian faith to Islam?..

I could write a long, long post here .. but I'll try to keep it short :)
I was in my 20's and I started to have problems with my wife/partner after the birth of my first child.
I turned in repentance to Almighty God. I had recently had my first contact with Muslims and was impressed with their style of worship & realised that they adhered to the dietary laws mentioned in the OT.
I started reading the OT in detail eg. your wife can't sleep in your bed when menstruating .. have a bath when a fly touches you etc. and my wife left me (sometimes she said that she was a Christian and sometimes an atheist)

To cut a long story short, I became a Muslim afew weeks later. I was very, very happy to find detailed religious books in English which lightened the burden of following the OT GREATLY, without discarding it altogther. The more I learnt, the stronger my faith became..

I too have delved into/read the Koran.
And believe you me,it´s not like I didn´t try to make any sense of it,I actually
couldn´t make any sense of it.
No matter how hard I tried to do so.

With a protestant background, I too had trouble in understanding the style .. it seemed extreme in its description of punishments .. I had no problem with the desscriptions of heaven, though ;)

It's very hard to understand something without social contact with others. Books alone are not enough, although they are important. ie. correct knowledge and study is important

And although I found it to be an interesting read,I found it also contradicted
alot of what the Bible had to say.
Especially when it came to the observance the Ten Commandments.

Well, the first commandment is identical .. perhaps you'd like to expand on that

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
What does it mean?
Are all sects of Judaism 'chosen' ?
Is it the guidance in the OT that makes some or all Jews 'chosen' ?

What exactly?

The Jewish people were chosen to bring forth the Messiah and to be a witness to the world of God's Law as well as a witness in their Christlike-ness:

*Hated without justification
*Restored as if from death itself to glory
*Etc.

12% of Nobel winners are Jewish despite Jewish people being 0.25% of the world's population. That means they win 48 times their per capita number of Nobel prizes. "Japeth will dwell in the tents of Shem" (Genesis 9), that is, the Jewish people will be an amazing blessing to all the people and cultures of the West... a prophecy that has come true...

Moishe3rd

Yehudi

In the real world of day to day living, many of us have no Idea if our friends are Jews or not.
An event that well illustrates that, is that my Daughter and Son in law Invited a few fellow Doctor friends for a meal.
One of the dishes was a Quiche lorraine. It turned out two of their friends were Jews.

However, as no christian kitchen observes the necessary culinary rules anyway, It was a disaster waiting to happen.
For your historical edification:

From the earliest days of the Constantine and the Christian Roman Empire, Christians learned about the Jews in the context of how their god, Jesus, was killed by wicked Jews. In Christianity, Jews were always synonymous with Christ-killers – they were the Race of Deicides.
It begins with Book of Matthew 27:20 “And the whole people answering said: ‘His blood be upon us and our children.’”
The Book of John puts the proverbial nails in the crucifixion of the Jews when he relates the various evils that “the Jews” performed.
“… therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus because he did these things on the Sabbath.” (John 5:16)
“… The Jews then took up stones to stone him…” (John 10:31)
“We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” (John 10:33)
“The Jews insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.’” (John 19:7)
“’Here is your king,’ Pilate said to the Jews.
But they shouted, ‘Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!’” (John 19:14,15)

Apparently the early Christian theologians believed that these passages specifically meant that the Jews first rejected, and then killed Jesus. And, that the Jews were therefore cursed.
Origen, one of the most distinguished writers of the early Christian Church, wrote: “The Jews nailed Christ to the Cross.”
Cyprian, bishop of Carthage, took time to detail the crimes of the Jews in his “Three Books of Testimonies Against the Jews.”
Augustine argued that Jews should be left alive and suffering as “a perpetual reminder of their murder of Christ.”
Gregory of Nyssa named the Jews “Slayers of the Lord, murderers of the prophets, adversaries of G-d, haters of G-d … advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers… assemblies of demon… and haters of righteousness.”
John Chrysostom (347-407), flatly stated (contradicting Peter who claimed the Jews acted without knowledge) “the Jews erred, not ignorantly, but with full knowledge.”
Chrysostom’s virulent hatred of the Jews, as the Archbishop of Constantinople, along with these other Church Fathers, forever influenced the theology that became Law under the Eastern Orthodox Empire, and he, like the rest of these early Church Fathers, became a “saint.”
Among his many sermons castigating, excoriating, and cursing the Jews, he called them “the assassins of Christ” and named their synagogues “the refuge of devils and abyss of perdition.”

Ultimately, the “Holy Roman Emperor,” Constantine, began what became a perpetual theological condemnation of Jews and Judaism in his: Laws of Constantinus Regarding the Jews
(It is worthwhile to state the first Law in full as this enjoyed the full Ecclesiastical weight of the Holy Roman Church and was not merely a “civil law,” but Christian doctrine.)
I. Laws of Constantine the Great, October 18, 315: Concerning Jews, Heaven-Worshippers, And Samaritans We wish to make it known to the Jews and their elders and their patriarchs that if, after the enactment of this law, any one of them dares to attack with stones or some other manifestation of anger another who has fled their dangerous sect and attached himself to the worship of God [Christianity], he must speedily be given to the flames and burn together with all his accomplices. Moreover, if any one of the population should join their abominable sect and attend their meetings, he will bear with them the deserved penalties.

The Emperors and therefore Patriarchs of the Holy Roman Christian Church, Theodosius II and Justinian, continued making specific Laws restricting and condemning Jews and Judaism, as did nearly every Holy Roman Emperor and later, Popes, that followed in the footsteps of these Christian “saints” who urged that Jews be scourged and hated for killing their god.

This theology was passed on to all of Christendom well into the 20th Century.
All Christians “knew” that Jews were “cursed” by G-d and it was the theological duty of greater Christendom to see that they suffered.
And, greater Christendom did exactly that.
The first recorded mob violence that I know of was in 388 CE when Christians burnt down a synagogue in Syria.
From the 5th Century onward - Jews were regularly killed; forced to convert; their synagogues and homes burned and looted; forced to pay a “dhimmi tax” to Christians in order to both practice Judaism and/or simply not be killed; prohibited from certain occupations; not allowed to marry Christians; their books burned; expelled from various Christian kingdoms; and simply persecuted unendingly by Christians for the crime of being Jewish.
At any time, in any country, for any reason, Jews could be and were ruthlessly sought out for torture and death.
Millions of Jews died at the hands of Christians over the last 1500 years for the supposed theological crime of being Christ Killers.
With the conclusion of the Holocaust in the 20th Century, most of Christianity officially changed their theology and no longer claimed that the Jews killed their god.

Now, the Islamist Loony Tunes have picked up on Christian Hate-the-Jews theology with their own passages from their scriptures and are carrying the torch of persecuting Jews and defaming Judaism.
This was not a natural development in Islam, but is descended directly from the hatreds of Christianity; Naziism and Stalinism.
Before the 20th Century, the pertinent “pig” and “monkey” passages, which are not directly from the Koran regarding Jews but, are interpretations of Koranic passages, were an embarrassment to Muslims who preferred to gloss over these issues along with the famous slaughter by Mohammad of the Jews.
With the rise of both Israel and the successful Jihad of the Wahhabist Saudi Arabians, these obscure anti-Jewish passages became key quotes in Islamist and Arabist hatreds.

Those who wish to differentiate between Christianity and Judaism will surely point out that Jesus never told Christians to kill the Jews and Mohammad did, indeed, tells his followers to kill the Jews.
Despite these apparent contradictions, Jews found refuge from mass murder and persecution by Christians in Muslim and Arab lands for over 1,000 years.
The persecutions and killing of Jews by Muslims during that time was not Jew specific. Various Muslim rulers killed Muslims; Jews; Christians; and others with impunity as the nations were at war or theological crises came about.
It is only since the rise of Islamic fascist death cultism that the shoe is now on the other foot.

Christians, particularly American Christians, are today the best friends Jews could possibly have.
Muslims are not.
Nonetheless, for over a thousand years, all of Christianity firmly believed that their god had condemned and cursed the Jews as Christ Killers and Deicides. It is that heritage which influenced all of Christianity which in turn influenced all of the "Western World," which has today influenced the entire planet.

And, regarding the Jewish State Israel - the secular and Islamist world has simply transmuted this deep cultural theology of Jew hatred into the amorphous hatred of Israel as somehow MORE "evil" than any other country in the world.
The notion is absurd when one considers that the majority of countries and cultures on planet Earth treat their subjects and their enemies with infinitely more savage barbarism than the manner in which Israel treats its subjects; its citizens; and its enemies.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
For your historical edification:

From the earliest days of the Constantine and the Christian Roman Empire, Christians learned about the Jews in the context of how their god, Jesus, was killed by wicked Jews. In Christianity, Jews were always synonymous with Christ-killers – they were the Race of Deicides.
It begins with Book of Matthew 27:20 “And the whole people answering said: ‘His blood be upon us and our children.’”
The Book of John puts the proverbial nails in the crucifixion of the Jews when he relates the various evils that “the Jews” performed.
“… therefore did the Jews persecute Jesus because he did these things on the Sabbath.” (John 5:16)
“… The Jews then took up stones to stone him…” (John 10:31)
“We are not stoning you for any of these,” replied the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.” (John 10:33)
“The Jews insisted, “We have a law, and according to that law he must die, because he claimed to be the Son of God.’” (John 19:7)
“’Here is your king,’ Pilate said to the Jews.
But they shouted, ‘Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!’” (John 19:14,15)

Apparently the early Christian theologians believed that these passages specifically meant that the Jews first rejected, and then killed Jesus. And, that the Jews were therefore cursed.
Origen, one of the most distinguished writers of the early Christian Church, wrote: “The Jews nailed Christ to the Cross.”
Cyprian, bishop of Carthage, took time to detail the crimes of the Jews in his “Three Books of Testimonies Against the Jews.”
Augustine argued that Jews should be left alive and suffering as “a perpetual reminder of their murder of Christ.”
Gregory of Nyssa named the Jews “Slayers of the Lord, murderers of the prophets, adversaries of G-d, haters of G-d … advocates of the devil, brood of vipers, slanderers… assemblies of demon… and haters of righteousness.”
John Chrysostom (347-407), flatly stated (contradicting Peter who claimed the Jews acted without knowledge) “the Jews erred, not ignorantly, but with full knowledge.”
Chrysostom’s virulent hatred of the Jews, as the Archbishop of Constantinople, along with these other Church Fathers, forever influenced the theology that became Law under the Eastern Orthodox Empire, and he, like the rest of these early Church Fathers, became a “saint.”
Among his many sermons castigating, excoriating, and cursing the Jews, he called them “the assassins of Christ” and named their synagogues “the refuge of devils and abyss of perdition.”

Ultimately, the “Holy Roman Emperor,” Constantine, began what became a perpetual theological condemnation of Jews and Judaism in his: Laws of Constantinus Regarding the Jews
(It is worthwhile to state the first Law in full as this enjoyed the full Ecclesiastical weight of the Holy Roman Church and was not merely a “civil law,” but Christian doctrine.)
I. Laws of Constantine the Great, October 18, 315: Concerning Jews, Heaven-Worshippers, And Samaritans We wish to make it known to the Jews and their elders and their patriarchs that if, after the enactment of this law, any one of them dares to attack with stones or some other manifestation of anger another who has fled their dangerous sect and attached himself to the worship of God [Christianity], he must speedily be given to the flames and burn together with all his accomplices. Moreover, if any one of the population should join their abominable sect and attend their meetings, he will bear with them the deserved penalties.

The Emperors and therefore Patriarchs of the Holy Roman Christian Church, Theodosius II and Justinian, continued making specific Laws restricting and condemning Jews and Judaism, as did nearly every Holy Roman Emperor and later, Popes, that followed in the footsteps of these Christian “saints” who urged that Jews be scourged and hated for killing their god.

This theology was passed on to all of Christendom well into the 20th Century.
All Christians “knew” that Jews were “cursed” by G-d and it was the theological duty of greater Christendom to see that they suffered.
And, greater Christendom did exactly that.
The first recorded mob violence that I know of was in 388 CE when Christians burnt down a synagogue in Syria.
From the 5th Century onward - Jews were regularly killed; forced to convert; their synagogues and homes burned and looted; forced to pay a “dhimmi tax” to Christians in order to both practice Judaism and/or simply not be killed; prohibited from certain occupations; not allowed to marry Christians; their books burned; expelled from various Christian kingdoms; and simply persecuted unendingly by Christians for the crime of being Jewish.
At any time, in any country, for any reason, Jews could be and were ruthlessly sought out for torture and death.
Millions of Jews died at the hands of Christians over the last 1500 years for the supposed theological crime of being Christ Killers.
With the conclusion of the Holocaust in the 20th Century, most of Christianity officially changed their theology and no longer claimed that the Jews killed their god.

Now, the Islamist Loony Tunes have picked up on Christian Hate-the-Jews theology with their own passages from their scriptures and are carrying the torch of persecuting Jews and defaming Judaism.
This was not a natural development in Islam, but is descended directly from the hatreds of Christianity; Naziism and Stalinism.
Before the 20th Century, the pertinent “pig” and “monkey” passages, which are not directly from the Koran regarding Jews but, are interpretations of Koranic passages, were an embarrassment to Muslims who preferred to gloss over these issues along with the famous slaughter by Mohammad of the Jews.
With the rise of both Israel and the successful Jihad of the Wahhabist Saudi Arabians, these obscure anti-Jewish passages became key quotes in Islamist and Arabist hatreds.

Those who wish to differentiate between Christianity and Judaism will surely point out that Jesus never told Christians to kill the Jews and Mohammad did, indeed, tells his followers to kill the Jews.
Despite these apparent contradictions, Jews found refuge from mass murder and persecution by Christians in Muslim and Arab lands for over 1,000 years.
The persecutions and killing of Jews by Muslims during that time was not Jew specific. Various Muslim rulers killed Muslims; Jews; Christians; and others with impunity as the nations were at war or theological crises came about.
It is only since the rise of Islamic fascist death cultism that the shoe is now on the other foot.

Christians, particularly American Christians, are today the best friends Jews could possibly have.
Muslims are not.
Nonetheless, for over a thousand years, all of Christianity firmly believed that their god had condemned and cursed the Jews as Christ Killers and Deicides. It is that heritage which influenced all of Christianity which in turn influenced all of the "Western World," which has today influenced the entire planet.

And, regarding the Jewish State Israel - the secular and Islamist world has simply transmuted this deep cultural theology of Jew hatred into the amorphous hatred of Israel as somehow MORE "evil" than any other country in the world.
The notion is absurd when one considers that the majority of countries and cultures on planet Earth treat their subjects and their enemies with infinitely more savage barbarism than the manner in which Israel treats its subjects; its citizens; and its enemies.

It is true that the Jewish leaders condemned and crusified Christ a fellow Jew for Blasphemy and claiming to be King of the Jews.

It seems that not long after the Gospels were circulated it was thought that the Jews were synonymous with God killers.
From time to time, certainly up to and throughout the middle ages this was seen as good reason to persecute Jews. However large numbers lived throughout Europe and the middle East. As they no longer had a homeland . Indeed they had not had one since the sacking of Jerusalem and the destruction of the second temple.

Indeed it is hard to find a time when they were other than a barely tolerated gests in any country. As a people they have had a very tough existance.
My memory of Jews and their problems goes as far back as WW2 , my maternal grand mother was a Jew and I made a point of visiting Belsen after the war whilst serving in the army. To see for myself.
At no time during my life have I ever heard a priest or member of the Anglican or other church blame the Jews for the death of Jesus. This is neither what we believe nor what we teach.
The question of Israel and its political and military decisions are an intirely different matter, and rightly come in for some heavy critism by virtually evey European country.
If this makes some Jewish people nervous, then so be it. Perhaps they will have some influence on their government to change course. This is what politics is about.