• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Jehovah's Witnesses taught not to answer hypothetical questions?

Parsimony

Or to entertain hypothetical scenarios? If so, why?

I placed this in the interfaith discussion forum instead of the Jehovah's Witnesses DIR because I wanted former Jehovah's Witnesses to be able to chime in as well.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What an odd question. :confused:

I personally have no problem with hypothetical questions or scenarios, provided that they don't stray into unscriptural territory.

If you believe that you have the truth, what are hypothetical questions or scenarios supposed to achieve? :shrug:

Would you like to explain what you mean?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I personally have no problem with hypothetical questions or scenarios, provided that they don't stray into unscriptural territory.

If you believe that you have the truth, what are hypothetical questions or scenarios supposed to achieve? :shrug:

If someone where to ask a hypothetical question that challenges what you think is right of scripture to make a point not a stand on an issue between right and wrong, would you answer the question so you understand the point or avoid the question because it may challenge the authority of what you feel is true?

I know, run on.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If someone where to ask a hypothetical question that challenges what you think is right of scripture to make a point not a stand on an issue between right and wrong, would you answer the question so you understand the point or avoid the question because it may challenge the authority of what you feel is true?

I know, run on.
I see no problem as long as the answer is in keeping with what the scriptures say. Stepping outside of those parameters would create problems. Hypotheticals don't always solve dilemmas....sometimes they create new ones. Why complicate things?

Did you have an example in mind?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I see no problem as long as the answer is in keeping with what the scriptures say. Stepping outside of those parameters would create problems. Hypotheticals don't always solve dilemmas....sometimes they create new ones. Why complicate things?

Did you have an example in mind?

Yes. For example, what if god were actually one of us. Say god is actually me and you do not know this. God can be anyone he wants to be. Satan masks as an angel of light. Trust god not your own senses. Don't use the bible as an idol for truth.

If god were me, without scripture (since god would exist without scripture), how could you prove I am not god if you were not depended only on scripture to define him?

Can you define god without scripture?

It's a hypothetical letting you think about god without needing to revert and compare your thoughts to scripture. It also helps, in another point, to separate yourself from the written words and concentrate on what god tells you through his Word.

But 99 percent of christians avoid the hypothetical question, use scripture, get defensive, or just say it's silly.

Though, not giving the attention that it's not all about them but about others too.

siti

Are Jehovah's Witnesses taught not to answer hypothetical questions?...Or to entertain hypothetical scenarios? If so, why?

I agree with @Deeje - that is an odd question. I was a JW for well over a decade and there is plenty that I now find objectionable having been away from it for almost 17 years now. I do not recall ever even having been advised let alone instructed not to answer a hypothetical question. The Bible does discourage believers from engaging in "foolish controversies" or "foolish questions" - Titus 3:9 (which is why I am a bit surprised to see a few on RF) but you've gotta figure out what is "foolish" for yourself so if a JW declines a discussion of your hypothetical question maybe they just thought it was a foolish one. If you tell me the question I'll tell you whether I agree with them.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Yes. For example, what if god were actually one of us. Say god is actually me and you do not know this. God can be anyone he wants to be. Satan masks as an angel of light. Trust god not your own senses. Don't use the bible as an idol for truth.

My own common sense tells me that firstly, if there was a supreme being, then he would not leave his creation without instructions. How on earth could God be one of us? Dumb question...sorry.

Can you offer a better question than that? That's like saying God could be the flying spaghetti monster.
blink.gif

If god were me, without scripture (since god would exist without scripture), how could you prove I am not god if you were not depended only on scripture to define him?

Can you define god without scripture?

If the first humans were created without a long list of do's and don'ts, then it stands to reason that the fall necessitated the writing of scripture with its list of God's commands. Imperfect humans were now want to make bad decisions, so scripture was written to help people understand the difference between right and wrong...between moral and immoral.....between a good decision and a bad one, based on a perceived outcome. The Bible is full of scenarios with desirable and undesirable outcomes to make those decisions easier to make...provided of course that we learn from them.

The Creator does not force us to do or believe anything. He leaves that up to us.

It's a hypothetical letting you think about god without needing to revert and compare your thoughts to scripture. It also helps, in another point, to separate yourself from the written words and concentrate on what god tells you through his Word.

If the hypothetical made a lick of sense then perhaps it would be worth a reply.....but its nonsense.

But 99 percent of christians avoid the hypothetical question, use scripture, get defensive, or just say it's silly.

99% of "Christians" are not JW's....and for a very good reason. That one was really silly.

Though, not giving the attention that it's not all about them but about others too.

The Creator gives testimony to his existence through nature and the universe.....he also gives testimony through his written word, and the operation of his spirit.....but there is no obligation on our part to believe. We are all carving out our own eternal destiny by the choices we make. Hearts are speaking to God all the time.....its just that the majority of hearts are not speaking the right language, and travelling down the wrong road. (Matthew 7:13-14)

Independent thinking is what led humans into trouble in the first place. Its not all its cracked up to be.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Spaghetti Monster, Deeje? o_O

My own common sense tells me that firstly, if there was a supreme being, then he would not leave his creation without instructions. How on earth could God be one of us? Dumb question...sorry.

It's a hypothetical. What if god were one of us? It makes sense because I observed many if not all christians, most likely, place god in a box. Instead of god being anyone and doing anything he wants, you all define him by his word. It's interesting, because if I believed in god I'd not use the bible as the only way to describe him. To me, that is a dumb way of seeing things. Unless god is made from my image, who am I to say god can't do whatever he wants?

The analogy "what if god were one of us?" is used to see jesus (if he were god) as humble and on the same level as human beings. It is a way of mirroring him not only as the son of god but acknowledging him as the son of man. When I used to go to communion, everyone came to christ. We all had communion with him because that is what people do as brothers and sisters, they come together with no one above (my father is greater than I) and no one below.

It's making christ become the flesh/sin to where if we recognized him as a man and not as god (or any person of worship) our perspective of other people would be like this: that of servitude.

I can't think of another analogy that doesn't sound dumb to you; but, the context and point would be the same.

If the first humans were created without a long list of do's and don'ts, then it stands to reason that the fall necessitated the writing of scripture with its list of God's commands. Imperfect humans were now want to make bad decisions, so scripture was written to help people understand the difference between right and wrong...between moral and immoral.....between a good decision and a bad one, based on a perceived outcome. The Bible is full of scenarios with desirable and undesirable outcomes to make those decisions easier to make...provided of course that we learn from them.

The bible should, in my opinion, be written in a christian's (and any god-believer's) hearts. That is why, say, Hinduis reflect on god because it is a practice of charity rather than an act of bowing down as seen as abrahamics do. When you serve others as christ did, that is also an act of scripture, if one likes. I would rephrase it is an act of christ.

Depending on scripture is just what christ said not to do. He said (his disciples said, rather) that why depend on scriptures as if it holds eternal life when he testifies to its behalf. In other words, stop looking down at the book and look to christ.

The Creator does not force us to do or believe anything. He leaves that up to us.

I can see that. Is that from your heart or from scripture? (can't be both, one reflects the other. Which?)

If the hypothetical made a lick of sense then perhaps it would be worth a reply.....but its nonsense.

It doesn't make sense to you because you depend on scripture as truth. That's the point of the OP is why don't JW see hypotheticals. They aren't supposed to make sense literally. They are supposed to make you think, ask questions, and be interested in what the other party wants you to know.

If not interested, that's a better way to express it rather than stating it as a dumb question. I hope I explained it more above without comparing myself to god.

99% of "Christians" are not JW's....and for a very good reason. That one was really silly.

All of you are christian and all of you worship christ. The difference is, I don't mind asking you because you do not believe jesus is god. So, the question (in my head) would make a bit more sense since I am human just as jesus. But then from this conversation, you don't have to say "jesus is god" to think of him as more than a human being. I don't know if this mirrors other JW, but it sounds like you do just in different wording.

The Creator gives testimony to his existence through nature and the universe.....he also gives testimony through his written word, and the operation of his spirit.....but there is no obligation on our part to believe. We are all carving out our own eternal destiny by the choices we make. Hearts are speaking to God all the time.....its just that the majority of hearts are not speaking the right language, and travelling down the wrong road. (Matthew 7:13-14)

I would see it more scripture is a commentary to god not a necessity to understand him. If we want to understand god, we pray, look into our hearts, learn from our environment, and, again, pray. Scripture offers guidance but if I believed, it wouldn't be my idol. I wouldn't quote scripture because it is a guide not god himself.

You are right, people can believe however they want. I'd give them credit for believing in something valid. However, christianity is a you-are-false faith. What can I say.

Independent thinking is what led humans into trouble in the first place. Its not all its cracked up to be.

Independant thinking lead me to my ancestors and the spirits that protect me. There is no worship nor one over the other. We're a family. That's what humanity is, a family. We don't separate ourselves from others based on our beliefs. That's totally abrahamic mindset. Independance, patience, disciple, and reflection is worth looking into. It may help you understand god more outside of reading and referring to scripture.

Just sayin'

siti

What if god were one of us?
I wouldn't say that was a dumb question - but I would (if I were a JW) redirect the focus of the question and say something like - you know God recognizes that we sometimes need to see him in human terms and then go with John 14:8,9 and Hebrews 4:15. Jesus was the epitome of God's qualities - his son - his image...And Jesus was one of us - a human who could "sympathize with our weaknesses"...we can perhaps learn most about God from his son's activities as a human on earth...and then offer the "Greatest Man" book! :D

OK - take it from there current JWs.

whirlingmerc

I agree.... hypothetical questions for discussion and clarification is fine.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I wouldn't say that was a dumb question - but I would (if I were a JW) redirect the focus of the question and say something like - you know God recognizes that we sometimes need to see him in human terms and then go with John 14:8,9 and Hebrews 4:15. Jesus was the epitome of God's qualities - his son - his image...And Jesus was one of us - a human who could "sympathize with our weaknesses"...we can perhaps learn most about God from his son's activities as a human on earth...and then offer the "Greatest Man" book! :D

OK - take it from there current JWs.

Its a funny thing......you can take yourself out of the truth, but you cant take the truth out of yourself.....That was quite a good witness you gave there my lapsed brother. :p

Have you checked out JW.ORG ? You should see what we have on offer these days.....:) The videos are fantastic....and the new songs! Beautiful! We witness with iPads and tablets these days.

Listen to this one.....

Jehovah's Witnesses BROADCASTING

And check out this one...

Jehovah's Witnesses BROADCASTING

siti

Its a funny thing......you can take yourself out of the truth, but you cant take the truth out of yourself.....That was quite a good witness you gave there my lapsed brother.
Please don't mistake convincing argumentation for truth. But thanks for your kind thoughts.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
It's a hypothetical. What if god were one of us? It makes sense because I observed many if not all christians, most likely, place god in a box.

God places himself "in a box"...he isn't what we want to make him, but he is what HE says he is.
He is the Creator....the "Father" of us all. He is a spirit with all his qualities in perfect balance......he created us to reflect those qualities even though we cannot emulate them perfectly in our present condition. To bring God down to our level is to insult him. Jesus volunteered to represent his Father on earth as a lowly human, but without the imperfection of sin. (Hebrews 2:7-9) He concentrated on bringing faithful ones back to their spiritual roots (from apostate Judaism) and choosing those who would assist him in his kingdom rule of 1,000 years. (Revelation 20:6)

if I believed in god I'd not use the bible as the only way to describe him. To me, that is a dumb way of seeing things. Unless god is made from my image, who am I to say god can't do whatever he wants?

What appears to be "dumb" to one person, appears to make good sense to another depending upon your mindset. Upbringing has a lot to do with how we view things.
We cannot make God into our own version of him. We have to accept him as he presents himself, otherwise we are barking up the wrong spiritual tree. That leads us nowhere. (Hebrews 11:6)

It is a way of mirroring him not only as the son of god but acknowledging him as the son of man. When I used to go to communion, everyone came to christ. We all had communion with him because that is what people do as brothers and sisters, they come together with no one above (my father is greater than I) and no one below.

Jesus was a divine being, sent from heaven on a mission. (John 3:16) His Father was his mentor and guide during the whole process. Right up to the end of his short ministry, he relied on his God to direct his words and actions. We are told to emulate him. (John 13:15; 1 Peter 2:21) Even when Jesus returned to heaven, his Father was still his God. (Revelation 3:12)

Since Roman Catholicism teaches that Jesus is Almighty God, (an equal part of the trinity) and that everyone who partakes of the bread and wine goes to heaven, then it makes Jesus teachings very confusing. That is so because nowhere in any part of scripture does Jesus ever say that he is God or that he is equal to his Father in any way. The trinity is a Catholic adoption from paganism.

Jesus made no covenant with anyone but his spirit anointed disciples to share in kingdom rulership, and to be parties to the "new covenant" he made with them. No such offer was made to those faithful ones in pre-Christian times.
No one went to heaven before Jesus, (John 3:13) so where did all those faithful OT believers go? Where was Lazarus before Jesus raised him back to life? (John ch.11)

When God first created humans there was no mention of a heaven or hell scenario. The only choice offered to God's ancient servants was life or death. (Deuteronomy 30:15-20)
The only way to be restored to life was by resurrection. (Acts 24:15; John 5:28-29) There is no teaching in the Bible of an immortal soul. Souls are very mortal and can die. (Ezekiel 18:4)

God tells us all we need to know in his only communication with us at this time period. Prophets were sent by God to correct his ancient people, but the last prophet he sent was his most trusted son, who gave his human life as a ransom to compensate for what Adam had done to his children. (Matthew 20:28; 1 Corinthians 15:22-28)

According to Revelation 21:2-4, there will be a heavenly government ruling over earthly subjects, bringing us back to God's original purpose in Eden...to have a perfect, sinless race of humans who reflect the qualities of their Creator.

None of that fits the scenario you suggest. So unless you have a reason to suggest the scenario in the first place.....something other than just a random thought in your head....why bother bringing it up? :shrug:

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Please don't mistake convincing argumentation for truth. But thanks for your kind thoughts.
Jehovah never gives up on anyone who might have the right heart condition......I hope you are one of them.
Sheep sometimes get a headache you know.....
sad.gif

Can't you see the world falling apart? Don't you wonder....even a little bit if you might have made a mistake?
We only get one chance to get things right. No point in rearranging the deckchairs on a sinking ship....
18.gif
or upgrading to a better cabin. :confused:

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
ndependent thinking is what led humans into trouble in the first place. Its not all its cracked up to be.

This is not your reason for not using independent thinking.

This only works if you already assume your scriptures to be true therefore it could not have convinced you to believe in your scriptures.

siti

I hope you are one of them.
I'm not. But neither have I up-cabined or started rearranging deck chairs. I'm just getting through each day as best I can - barely (to be perfectly honest most days). Anyway, I'm not coming back. That much is pretty sure. I can't un-know what I know - about science, about the Bible and about JW interpretations of history and scripture. Doesn't mean I'm right of course and I hope for everyone else's sake I'm wrong - but turning up to the Kingdom Hall right now would be hypocritical of me.

Parsimony

Some of the posts in this thread so far actually demonstrate the very thing that I'm getting at. In my experience, when I ask a Jehovah's Witness to imagine a scenario where anything about reality is different from their religious expectations, they won't. Either they dismiss the question altogether or try explain why it's irrelevant. Here's a possible example:

Me: What would you do if one of the Hindu gods revealed that Hinduism is the true religion to you, personally?
JW: It's not true though.
Me: No, I mean what if they did? What would you do?
JW: That couldn't happen because of X, Y and Z.
Me: This is a hypothetical scenario, asking if it could happen.
JW: This question is meaningless and has no bearing on reality.

You say that you aren't taught to avoid hypothetical questions, so why do you do this? I find it very easy to consider the consequences of my fundamental beliefs being different. Surely you can do it too. I'm not saying that all of you are like that, but all of the ones that I, personally, have spoken to about this have been.

siti

What would you do if one of the Hindu gods revealed that Hinduism is the true religion to you, personally?
OK let's play then - I don't know what I would do in that situation, so, as a Christian, what would you do?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I can't un-know what I know - about science

What do you know about science that Jehovah doesn't? :shrug: What has he told us that is not true?
Is he not the greatest scientist in existence?

about the Bible and about JW interpretations of history and scripture.

I have no idea what you mean here. I have researched everything very thoroughly and have found no misinterpretation of either history or scripture. I have heard all the arguments and none of them hold water.
I am a serial researcher BTW....and I am hard to convince. But once I am convinced, no one will sway me. I have a very close and personal relationship with God and I find that those who can forsake him, never really knew him. Its not just about knowing the Bible or about being "in the truth"......its about knowing Jehovah and experiencing his hand directly in your life. When that happens, you know he is real and you can never turn your back on him or deny him.

Doesn't mean I'm right of course and I hope for everyone else's sake I'm wrong - but turning up to the Kingdom Hall right now would be hypocritical of me.

It is sad to me that you feel like that. What if you found out that you had been misled by faulty thinking all these years? "Its not over until the fat lady sings".....there is still time, but not much I am thinking. :(

At least check out the website....its really good. Don't write yourself off.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
This is not your reason for not using independent thinking.
OMgoodness......you're a mind reader now?
blink.gif
You know my reason for not using independent thinking?

I prefer to live an orderly life. I like reasonable limits set by someone who loves me. Parents take on that role for their children and the children feel secure, knowing that the rules are there for their benefit....even if they don't appreciate them at the time, maturity will reinforce that the rules were made out of love.

All the first humans had to do was respect their Father enough to obey his reasonable command. But they chose to act independently, and it spelled disaster for all their children. The lesson is that the world doesn't just revolve around us as individuals and what we want.....our actions affect others, sometimes in ways we can never imagine. Free will has to be exercised responsibly, with regard for others as well as ourselves. That is the object lesson.

This only works if you already assume your scriptures to be true therefore it could not have convinced you to believe in your scriptures.

Since you identify as having no religion, can I assume that you are an atheist? Or an agnostic perhaps? Have you ever really studied the Bible to find out what it says? Or do you just take the word of unbelievers?

I have studied my scriptures very thoroughly over many years. I have researched all things to make sure that what I believe is true. The Bible convinces me that it is the word of God. If you are not convinced, then what can anyone say to change your mind? You have the same choices as everyone else. Your reasons for making them are your own. Free will is granted to all.