• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Jahovah Witness Christian?

InChrist

Free4ever
I do not believe that Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians because the Watchtower organization teaches and preaches another Jesus and espouses a different gospel, a religion of works, which is opposed to the biblical gospel of grace and salvation through the power of Jesus Christ alone....
For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it! 2 Corinthians 11:4

12jtartar

Premium Member
I believe this was the whole idea in founding Mormonism to establish a church that was in total harmony with Jesus but I believe that has not been achieved and the Mormon church is more out of hamony with Jesus than many other Christian groups. The RCC for many years laid claim to orthodoxy but they were found to be lacking. I believe churches should endeavor to move more into harmony with Jesus but it seems today there is more of a falling away.

Muffled,
The Apostles were the only authority for true Christianty, in the first century. after the apostles died the great Apoatasy started. By the action of false teachings being introduced, over two thousand years, what was true Christianity in the first century, slowly became completely corrupted. The great churches of today, calling themselves Christian is causing God's name to be blasphemies amount the Gentiles. They say they are following, Christ but they help the leaders of the nations recruit young men to murderous wars, many killing men of their own faith. Their priests blessing the war implements, Rom 2:23,24, Isa 1:15, Pr 28:9.
Even more reprehensible, is the fact that the leaders of all the churches, except one, that call themselves Christian, are founded on lies. There is not one foundation belief of almost all these churches that is Scriptural.
The Bible says there is ONE Faith, Eph 4:3-6!!! That was called The Way, in the first century, because there was only one way to walk that was acceptable to God, Acts 9:2, 19:9,23, Matt 7:13,14, 21-23, John 4:23,24.
You cannot be pleasing to God when you do one of the basic things ordered NOT to do, Gal 1:6-9, 2Tim 3:16,17. Having the Bible a Christian has everything needed, another, supposedly Christian book is Anathama to God!!!

rusra02

Premium Member
I do not believe that Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians because the Watchtower organization teaches and preaches another Jesus and espouses a different gospel, a religion of works, which is opposed to the biblical gospel of grace and salvation through the power of Jesus Christ alone....
For if he who comes preaches another Jesus whom we have not preached, or if you receive a different spirit which you have not received, or a different gospel which you have not accepted—you may well put up with it! 2 Corinthians 11:4
As one of Jehovah's witnesses, I can assure you that we accept the fact that salvation comes through Jesus ransom sacrifice and that salvation is a free gift, and cannot be earned through good works. (Romans 6:23) Jws accept what the Bible says about Jesus Christ, and more, they imitate the Christ in their beliefs and ministry.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
From my non-Christian perspective (in which the concept of "true/false Christian" is as meaningless as "square circle"), Christians are so-named because they follow Christ. Jehovah's Witnesses follow Christ. Therefore, JWs are Christians.

Unification

Now all one needs is to describe what Christ was like.

Cue the cherry picking....

True; and nice response, Chuckie.

One cannot describe what "Christ" "was" like. One can only describe what "Christ" characteristics are according to the reality that texts exist applying characteristics to "Christ."

Inner characteristics and integrity human beings live by, from the message, regardless of the messenger.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Now all one needs is to describe what Christ was like.

Someone who rebelled against the status quo established and upheld by an elite few, by associating with people we'd today call "underclasses", and frequently condemning the rich and powerful.

Therefore, it's literally impossible to be simultaneously "Christ-like" and "rich and powerful".

There's my cherries. ^_^

lostwanderingsoul

It seems like today you can call yourself anything you want to. A person with male organs says (he, she) is female. A white woman claims to be black. Why can't someone call themself Christian without having to prove it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Muffled,
The Apostles were the only authority for true Christianty, in the first century. after the apostles died the great Apoatasy started. By the action of false teachings being introduced, over two thousand years, what was true Christianity in the first century, slowly became completely corrupted. The great churches of today, calling themselves Christian is causing God's name to be blasphemies amount the Gentiles. They say they are following, Christ but they help the leaders of the nations recruit young men to murderous wars, many killing men of their own faith. Their priests blessing the war implements, Rom 2:23,24, Isa 1:15, Pr 28:9.
Even more reprehensible, is the fact that the leaders of all the churches, except one, that call themselves Christian, are founded on lies. There is not one foundation belief of almost all these churches that is Scriptural.
The Bible says there is ONE Faith, Eph 4:3-6!!! That was called The Way, in the first century, because there was only one way to walk that was acceptable to God, Acts 9:2, 19:9,23, Matt 7:13,14, 21-23, John 4:23,24.
You cannot be pleasing to God when you do one of the basic things ordered NOT to do, Gal 1:6-9, 2Tim 3:16,17. Having the Bible a Christian has everything needed, another, supposedly Christian book is Anathama to God!!!

I believe there is no evidence for this. I believe Christian works of fiction and non-fiction can be helpful and God approves of those who are helpful. However non-Biblical texts are not reliable for doctrine.

I believe Jesus is the only true authority but I accept the authority of Church leaders to promote doctrine. It is just that sometimes Jesus disagrees with them.

Muffled

Jesus in me
As one of Jehovah's witnesses, I can assure you that we accept the fact that salvation comes through Jesus ransom sacrifice and that salvation is a free gift, and cannot be earned through good works. (Romans 6:23) Jws accept what the Bible says about Jesus Christ, and more, they imitate the Christ in their beliefs and ministry.

I beleive that hits the nail on the head. JW's are imitation Christians.

Muffled

Jesus in me
From my non-Christian perspective (in which the concept of "true/false Christian" is as meaningless as "square circle"), Christians are so-named because they follow Christ. Jehovah's Witnesses follow Christ. Therefore, JWs are Christians.

I beleive that is a common concept. That is why Christians who are in harmony with the message of Christ call themselves Born-again-Christians to distinguish betwen the two.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I beleive that is a common concept. That is why Christians who are in harmony with the message of Christ call themselves Born-again-Christians to distinguish betwen the two.

I do appreciate the clarification. Far as I'm concerned, they're all Christians regardless of how in line with what Christ taught an individual or group is, but there are thousands of different flavors of Christianity such that specifiers are necessary.

rusra02

Premium Member
I beleive that hits the nail on the head. JW's are imitation Christians.
Actually, that smear is a complement. "Therefore, become imitators of God, as beloved children," (Ephesians 5:1)
"Become imitators of me, just as I am of Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)

Muffled

Jesus in me
Actually, that smear is a complement. "Therefore, become imitators of God, as beloved children," (Ephesians 5:1)
"Become imitators of me, just as I am of Christ." (1 Corinthians 11:1)

I believe in order to do that (imitate Paul) one would have to become a born-again Christian. Can you say you have done that?

Muffled

Jesus in me
just like the some 30,000 other christian flavors, most of whom say all the others are not.

I have never heard that said but I have had heard it said in reference to JW's and Mormons, and Catholics.

IMO Mormons fit in better with born again Christians and the idea that they aren't comes from the notion that the beiefs don't fit. I don't accept that as a valid argument since theological beliefs don't qualify a person as a born again Christian.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Not by the standard of Christianity that I, and my Church, use - the Nicene Creed. So, no. Of course there's going to be disagreement over that, however. Whatever.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think Christian means being taught by Jesus. The Jehovah's Witnesses are being taught by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Who is teaching the Jehovah's Witnesses? I think that if you could examine all the billions of words that have been published in the Watchtower and other JW books you would not see that the governing body profess to be taught by Jesus Christ. They get all their information about Jehovah by reasoning from the scriptures.

I am certain that they do not obey Proverbs 3:5 which I believe all Christians have to obey.