• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Humans Animals

Mr Cheese

I have posted this in the non-theist section so while i am more than happy for theists to join in on the conversation please do not bring any deity into the discussion.

Are humans animals?

I say yes. We have the same needs as say a stoat (my personal favourite animal). We need to eat, sleep and excrete. Other animals grieve for the dead, they feel fear, they have social structures just like us. We are by no means the only self aware species on this planet.

Sure we are the dominant species on this planet but that doesnt make us separate from the animals just 'smarter'. I put smarter 's because we are the only animals that are destroying the planet/upsetting the natural balance, not exceptionally intelligent if you ask me. Since we have become an industrial society i believe we have lost our connection to the natural world and therefore a lot of the senses we use to take for granted.

If you believe we are not animals, what is it that you think separates us from them.

-Q

No, humans are vegetables!

junnydavis

todays world we humans are just doing eating sleeping mating all this things are also done by animals.

the main task of this human form which is given to by by lord is to Realize the supreme absolute truth. one who is not advancing in spiritual realization is an animal

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
todays world we humans are just doing eating sleeping mating all this things are also done by animals.

the main task of this human form which is given to by by lord is to Realize the supreme absolute truth. one who is not advancing in spiritual realization is an animal

Ladies and gentlemen the elitism as a result of religion which causes some of us to believe we're actually better than animals :facepalm:

Alwayslearning

I don't believe I am an animal. The difference I see between myself and animals is that I can create things, on the other hand my dog cannot. I do agree that animals feel things and can make decisions but they cannot create things whether it is a website or a different form of shelter. Beavers make beaver homes out of wood. I think their work (beavers) is intricate. Humans make homes out of many things and we don't just make homes we design them. I personally do not believe animals are capable of designing I guess. I have never seen an animal design anything.

I have posted this in the non-theist section so while i am more than happy for theists to join in on the conversation please do not bring any deity into the discussion.

Are humans animals?

I say yes. We have the same needs as say a stoat (my personal favourite animal). We need to eat, sleep and excrete. Other animals grieve for the dead, they feel fear, they have social structures just like us. We are by no means the only self aware species on this planet.

Sure we are the dominant species on this planet but that doesnt make us separate from the animals just 'smarter'. I put smarter 's because we are the only animals that are destroying the planet/upsetting the natural balance, not exceptionally intelligent if you ask me. Since we have become an industrial society i believe we have lost our connection to the natural world and therefore a lot of the senses we use to take for granted.

If you believe we are not animals, what is it that you think separates us from them.

-Q

We appear to fit the bill when genetically and morphologically. I question notions of our dominance or that we are the only species that ever cause large scale change. One only needs to look at the biological influences which have shaped the world and humans relatively recent arrival, and the high degree of interdepdence between species and their survival to see that in the big scheme of things we're not especially important.

As for intellect at least in what we have produced as a result of it we appear to be fairly unique, or at least ahead of the game.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yes we are, and that is why I get really angry when people say "they are just animals" and such.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
People have rebelled against definitions for eternity. It's one of the reasons people still hold on to the idea of the immaterial soul. When you hear "You're just atoms", there's a kind of defense mechanism that screams "Nuh uh!", and then hastily tries to fill the gap created by rebuking it.

tomteapack

tomteapack

Are humans animals?

-Q
Anyone that does not accept that humans are animals, is sadly lacking in education.
Oh, I am not so sure that "germs" are not the dominate form of life on earth. Smarter does not necessarily mean "better".

The Neo Nerd

I was at uni tonight and the lecturer who happens to be a christian minister was talking about how humans are special from animals because we can question our existence and animals can't.

The conversation went something like this:

Q - "I will not argue that humans have a higher functioning brain than animals, however if you look at our closest cousins the chimpanzee, have higher brain functions than a worm"

L - "Worms aren't animals"

Q - If worms aren't animals what are they

L - *turns around and walks off*

Typical fundy tactics.

PeasantCopasetic

Militant Agnostic
I am not so sure that "germs" are not the dominate form of life on earth. Smarter does not necessarily mean "better".

Heh. I love it.

When I define the "dominate species of Earth" as whatever form of life that seems to have the more effective process of survival and reproduction, yeah, germs are right up there at the top of my list. Since we can't get into the "minds" of bacteria, I can only judge their smarts by their actions... and boy howdy, the little dudes seem to know what they're doing.

And how about us? The human animal, in general, flails around space, wailing at high volume, far more often than it actively seeks the fulfillment of life's basic necessities. Doesn't seem very "dominate" to me.

We're animals, alright. But we're pretty bad at being just that.

cottage

Are humans animals?

-Q

Yes, certainly! Humans are animals. And I don't believe that statement requires any further qualification.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
We're the dumbest animals. We destroy our own planet and as a result, take every other animal down with us. Opposing thumbs have been a curse rather than a blessing.

Llol something has to cause the next great extiction and yes their will be another one

rageoftyrael

Veritas
to say we are the dumbest is a tad bit foolish. as far as we know, we are the smartest animals. what you, darkendless, are talking about, is actually our lack of wisdom, as a
species. we have the brains, some of us, to build super computers, but not the wisdom to
be careful about how we go about treating our surroundings.