• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Christians Suppose to Strive to be Like Jesus?

Shermana

Heretic
If Jesus didn't obey the Torah, then he was a hypocrite, for he said not one iota of the Law would be made void.

Perhaps Jesus did go wash himself after touching her. It doesn't say you can't touch them. It just says to clean yourself and wait til sundown. Does the text need to explicitly say he did so? Or perhaps it was written to people who already knew this basic idea and such details weren't considered necessary.

It also says Jesus wore fringes. So that means, to live like Jesus, you too must wear a fringe.

Do you deny that Jesus obeyed Sabbath too? I'm sure you've seen my defense of that one hundreds of times by now.

Do you realize that Jesus's disciples would have most likely departed from him if he was teaching to go against the Written Law? I'm sure by now you understand the difference between the Pharisee's version of the Law and the Law itself.

The text doesn't say a lot of things. It never says he fasted on Yom Kippur. Does that mean he didn't?

Epic fail of a reply. Epic fail. I'm pretty sure I explained this to you before, if not more than once.

Last edited:

Knight of Albion

Jesus exemplified, taught and advocated Christ Consciousness...

'The disciple is in all things as the Master'. To follow in his footsteps, as best we can, yes, that is what true Christianity is all about.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Very fitting to our current Pope; given that he choose St. Francis of Assisi as his cognomen:

"Preach the gospel always, If necessary use words."

With all the sins committed by Christians throughout the ages, it's probably best we keep our mouths closed and just act on what we know we should. And not just because it brings people to Christ, but because it is right to do so. Lean toward acts of mortification so that true compassion can be done.

Specifically Catholics, we know we must perform corporal works of mercy.

Awoon

“The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God+ and keep his commandments,+ for this is the whole obligation of man.”—Ecclesiastes 12:13.

It is our obligation to serve our creator in the way he directs. But we are not doing that...man is serving his own interests and destroying Gods creation in the process.

Nope, you are serving the men who wrote the words in the Bible. God hasn't told you anything.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Dear people, be like Jesus even though yer a born Sinner. Makes sense don't it?

I reject the idea that I'm born a sinner. I find the idea of Original Sin to be highly offensive. The idea that I had some complicity in the death of jesus simply by virtue of being born. I reject it outright. Everything I know and everything I am dictates that if I had been present at the alleged Crucifixion of jesus, then I would have done everything in my power to prevent it.

Quiddity

I reject the idea that I'm born a sinner. I find the idea of Original Sin to be highly offensive. The idea that I had some complicity in the death of jesus simply by virtue of being born. I reject it outright. Everything I know and everything I am dictates that if I had been present at the alleged Crucifixion of jesus, then I would have done everything in my power to prevent it.

Original Sin doesn't say you are born with sin, it says you are born with the inclination to sin.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Please lay out God's plan in your own words without using any religious quotes.
To be a better person putting yourself last and loving with all you have. Make each day a better example than yesterday.

Trust that you will be rewarded for your efforts by submitting to a higher power.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
If Jesus didn't obey the Torah, then he was a hypocrite, for he said not one iota of the Law would be made void.

Perhaps Jesus did go wash himself after touching her. It doesn't say you can't touch them. It just says to clean yourself and wait til sundown. Does the text need to explicitly say he did so? Or perhaps it was written to people who already knew this basic idea and such details weren't considered necessary.

the account says that Jesus was touched by her as he was on his way to heal a sick girl. After the encounter with the woman, he continued unabated on his way to the home of the sick girl and went into their home. So he didnt wash himself, or seclude himself until sunset, as the law required.
Nor did he condemn the woman for violating the mosaic law which forbid her to be in amongst a crowd of people. She was breaking the law simply by being there amongst them.

Why didnt Jesus condemn her?

And more importantly, why did God heal her knowing that she was deliberately breaking his law?

You are so sure that God demands absolute strict adherence to the mosaic law, yet he gave this woman a blessing while she was actively breaking his law. Are you sure you have the right idea about our requirement to adhere to every mosaic law????

Last edited:

Quiddity

Yep and who says they are apostles of anyone?

My apologies...I've mistaken you with someone that actually wants to dialogue. If the title of Apostles offends your sensibilities that much call them "guys that wrote the new testament".....That way, we can continue our fruitful dialogue.

Awoon

My apologies...I've mistaken you with someone that actually wants to dialogue. If the title of Apostles offends your sensibilities that much call them "guys that wrote the new testament".....That way, we can continue our fruitful dialogue.

No one knows who wrote the NT. Do you have any of their birth certificates?

roger1440

I do stuff

Would you accept the idea that we all become sinners? There is a difference.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
The Holy Spirit within each of us (our True Self, the Spiritual Intelligence within us, Knowledge within us, ...) is the permanent part of us that carries the important mission we have come into the world to fulfill. Jesus had reclaimed the Holy Spirit within him and allowed it to express itself in the world, thus, completing his mission. Not just Christians but everyone can strive to reclaim the Holy Spirit within themselves. Yet, how many can take the journey to do so?

Well said sir.

It's most likely better for everyone if a Christian strives to be like Jesus, than strives to be a Christian like Pat Robertson.

LMAO... how dare you blasphemy the holy name of Pat Robertson in such a manner. The almighty Pat Robertson shall condemn you to an eternity of hellfire and brimstone for your trespasses. :D

A Torah obedient Jew. I can't help but notice how unfamiliar most Christians are with 1 John.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

I would argue that Jesus didn't follow all of these. Specifically, 273, atleast his family didn't.

And I also consider the laws on prophecy to be interesting. If the Pharisees did not follow Torah law, but governed the law of Israel at the time, could they have sentenced Jesus to be put to death?

if Jesus was as 'torah obedient' as you claim, then why didnt he condemn the women who was menstruating in a crowd of people?

The law stated that a women menstruating must not come into any assembly but keep away....yet this women entered a crowded place and touched Jesus.
Her condition made her ceremonially unclean, so she should not have been there. (Leviticus 15:25-27)

Not gonna lie... the Torah's pretty legit from my opinion. There's a lot of stuff in there that were more "hygenic" practices more than anything, and would have been of the utmost importance during that time period, but are not as important today.

Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

Of course theirs some things I don't agree with, but overall I would have to say that Jesus was a pretty "Torah abiding" Jew. I think the problem was that the leaders of the time weren't following the law, especially with regard to the treatment of their own people, and this is what ****** Jesus off so to speak.

Do you realize that Jesus's disciples would have most likely departed from him if he was teaching to go against the Written Law? I'm sure by now you understand the difference between the Pharisee's version of the Law and the Law itself.

I don't neccesarily agree with the first part. Charisma and charm can go along way to convince people to go against the laws of their society.

And I am not familiar with the difference between the Pharisee's version of the Law and the Law itself. What are the differences in your opinion?

Nope, you are serving the men who wrote the words in the Bible. God hasn't told you anything.

Nope, your are serving the men who wrote the words in the Bible, and God has told you everything.

Yep and who says they are apostles of anyone?

Scholars of antiquity along with the most textual representation of any person of antiquity? :shrug:

dust1n

Zindīq
Stay on topic people.

The next thing I want to know is: If it's the case that one should try to be like Jesus, why isn't anyone actually trying to be like Jesus, i.e. copy his behaviors?