• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are black dogs supposed to be Satan?

MD

qualiaphile
Having lived in a Muslim country and amongst Muslims for many decades, I have routinely heard that black dogs are the Devil.

Is this true or a misinterpretation of a Hadith/Quranic quote?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Having lived in a Muslim country and amongst Muslims for many decades, I have routinely heard that black dogs are the Devil.

I would actually be interested in this answer too. In my own system black dogs, specifically large black dogs and black hounds, are companions of Hecate, one of the goddesses I keep a shrine to. I'd like to join in your question to see what Muslims associate black dogs with. An evil entity would make sense as a goddess of magic and necromancy could certainly be turned into an evil force, but we'll see!

sovietchild

There is a famous Hadith "Angels do not enter a house in which it has a dog."

According to wiki: According to a Sunni narration classified as authentic by Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj, black dogs are a manifestation of evil in animal form;[27] however, according to Khaled Abou El Fadl, the majority of scholars regard this to be "pre-Islamic Arab mythology" and "a tradition to be falsely attributed to the Prophet".[28]

MD

qualiaphile
There is a famous Hadith "Angels do not enter a house in which it has a dog."

According to wiki: According to a Sunni narration classified as authentic by Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj, black dogs are a manifestation of evil in animal form;[27] however, according to Khaled Abou El Fadl, the majority of scholars regard this to be "pre-Islamic Arab mythology" and "a tradition to be falsely attributed to the Prophet".[28]

Great thanks for this, so it's most likely myth?

Forever_Catholic

Demons have certainly been reported as taking the form of black dogs to harass people. In most of the accounts I have read about it, these people were especially devout. Saint Faustina is one of those who experienced it in her earthly life, as well as other harassment by demons and by Satan himself.

But that does NOT mean that black dogs are Satan or demons. One of the best dog friends I ever had was solid black.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Salam all,

I as a Muslim dont regard black dogs as Devil. Neither do other Iranians, I suppose.
However, once I heard a Hadith about black dog, even not sure authentic or not.

The seventh succesor f prophet,pbuh, has said=
If you see a black dog on the red sands of the desert, just leave there as soon as possible. Even Do not pray there, just leave.

Yasin-shalal

Yasin-shalal
Not sure to say this or not....
In a video clip....
I saw Madona, the famous singer, which turned into black dog on the sands of the desert. I asked myself why! Aslo heard she is Satanist, not sure again. Just heard and not important rnough for me to do research....
Even not sure, this has any thing to do with that Hadith or not.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I always lived in a Muslim country and I never heard of this. Unless there is a scriptural/Islamic heritage text about it, ignore it completely, MD.

mojtaba

No. In general, black dogs are not devil.

Indeed, jinns are created from fire( Holy Quran, 55:15: and He created the jinn out of a flame of a fire.), so that they have a transformative body and can appear in different shapes, such as the shap of a dog, specially black ones.

So, this in not correct that all black dogs are jinn or devil.

sovietchild

I did read that Prophet Muhammad ordered to kill black dogs. We sure can debate about it.

"The prophet did not order the killing of all the dogs, for some are to be retained for hunting and watching. He ordered to kill the jet black ones. They might be more mischievous among them.

When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time.

Abu Zubair heard Jabir Abdullah saying: Allah's messenger ordered us to kill dogs and we carried out this order so much so that we also killed the dog roaming with a women from the desert. Then Allah's apostle forbade their killing. He said: "It is your duty to kill the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes) for it is a devil.

Sakeenah

I did read that Prophet Muhammad ordered to kill black dogs. We sure can debate about it.

"The prophet did not order the killing of all the dogs, for some are to be retained for hunting and watching. He ordered to kill the jet black ones. They might be more mischievous among them.

When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time.

Abu Zubair heard Jabir Abdullah saying: Allah's messenger ordered us to kill dogs and we carried out this order so much so that we also killed the dog roaming with a women from the desert. Then Allah's apostle forbade their killing. He said: "It is your duty to kill the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes) for it is a devil.

Killing harmless dogs is prohibited regardless of colour. Here's a fatwah ( sunni fiqh)

Question:

Asalam Aleikum,
Dear Sir I would like if you could elaborate on the matter with regards to dogs in Islam. Is there a Hadith that permits killings of dogs, and is it with regards to any dogs or black dogs? Thank You.

Answer:

Wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullaahi wabarakatuh

Regarding the command to kill dogs, the As-hab opined that it is permissible to kill a rabid dog; yet, a harmless dog, irrespective of its color, may not be killed. Imam al-Haramayn stated that the command to kill dogs was abrogated. It was related that the Prophet Muhammad ordered the killing of dogs. Then, that was abrogated, except for pure black dogs. And thereafter, killing any harmless dog was prohibited. Thus, it is only permissible to kill a dog that may cause harm, like one with rabies. (Sharh Sahih Muslim v. 3, p. 536 and v. 10, p. 1931)

And Allah knows best.

Shafiifiqh.com Fatwa Dept.

Milton Platt

So are brown dogs semi-devilish and white dogs god?

Servant_of_the_One1

No they are not devils.
That hadith should be read in light of context.

For example the devil once came in the form in old man.
Does that mean all old men are devil?