• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists Smarter Than Theists?

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
I wish we had a portrait of `Adam`, and `Eve`.
I wonder what they looked like ?
I wonder what Moses thought ?
Oh....I wonder what `Ra` looked like ?
Well...we know about `God` don't we ?

It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence. A prominent hypothesis states that this correlation reflects behavioral biases toward intuitive problem solving, which causes errors when intuition conflicts with reasoning.

fpsyg-08-02191-g002.jpg

Reading further in the study, it is not a difference in intelligence, as much as a bad habit of relying more on intuition in specific situations.

In conclusion, religiosity is associated with poorer reasoning performance during tasks that involve cognitive conflict. These effects may reflect learnt cognitive-behavioral biases toward intuitive decision making, rather than underlying abilities to understand complex logical rules or to maintain information in working memory.
The Negative Relationship between Reasoning and Religiosity Is Underpinned by a Bias for Intuitive Responses Specifically When Intuition and Logic Are in Conflict

Cognitive conflict is the discomfort one feels when his beliefs, values or behaviors contradict one another. For instance, if a person believes that honesty is the best policy in maintaining relationships, but then holds back the truth from a good friend, he might feel cognitive conflict. As a psychological theory, it originates from Leon Festinger’s Cognitive Dissonance Theory, which proposes that humans need internal consistency as surely as we need food and water. Because of this, Festinger says, we become psychologically distressed when we experience discord in our thoughts.
Examples of Cognitive Conflict | Synonym

For atheists, there is no necessary set of values that are normally required by faith in a religious belief. So IMO, they have more freedom to analytically analyze those values in conflict and are more likely to reach a correct answer.

I don't even need the chart. The answer is yes. My question is why do people need to have this confirmed or denied over and over??

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't even need the chart. The answer is yes. My question is why do people need to have this confirmed or denied over and over??

It's a small but measurable difference. I was more interested in what actually cause the difference.

According to the research, Theists rely more on intuition when it comes to conflict resolution regarding held values.

IOW you're more likely to get a correct answer if you use logical and reason vs faith and intuition. Which Theists can do as well as anyone except when it comes to resolving conflicting values.

But some claim they are happier...

Maybe they are more likely to leave it to God to resolve conflicting values. Less stress to come up with an answer.

Whereas with an atheist there's no faith that God is going to resolve your problem so you better get the correct answer.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Something happened there...
Way in the past, millions of years ago, and before that,
something happened in the Pre-Cosmos chasm of nothing,
or did it ? Maybe it was a tiny spark in the infinite Cosmos.
And that spark inflated into the universe we live in and love.
I believe there are trillions of sparks flying in the Cosmos all the time,
in directions we can only imagine the `size` and direction of each.
Every year or so, we are able to see further and further,
looking out into the empty `space` that surrounds us,
further and further into what are more galaxies as far as we can see.
A lot of `holes` out there, the holes where further `sparks` can ignite.
And it goes on forever and ever into that fuzzy infinite blur.
We're building new scopes every day, still fuzzy out there.
How many `sparks` will happen in one's own lifetime ?
Remember that the BB never happened, just a `spark` in the Cosmos,
the Cosmos that is composed of countless groups of `sparks`.
And our lifetimes, times a million, would be a minuscle pause in `time`.
painful said:
"... started expanding into."....expanding into what ?
He said something about vapors everywhere, filling the `void` with....
~
Like I said there, and `now`, there are no `voids`. Only `sparks` in the Cosmos.
NuffStuff