• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists Smarter Than Theists?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence. A prominent hypothesis states that this correlation reflects behavioral biases toward intuitive problem solving, which causes errors when intuition conflicts with reasoning.

fpsyg-08-02191-g002.jpg

Reading further in the study, it is not a difference in intelligence, as much as a bad habit of relying more on intuition in specific situations.

In conclusion, religiosity is associated with poorer reasoning performance during tasks that involve cognitive conflict. These effects may reflect learnt cognitive-behavioral biases toward intuitive decision making, rather than underlying abilities to understand complex logical rules or to maintain information in working memory.
The Negative Relationship between Reasoning and Religiosity Is Underpinned by a Bias for Intuitive Responses Specifically When Intuition and Logic Are in Conflict

Cognitive conflict is the discomfort one feels when his beliefs, values or behaviors contradict one another. For instance, if a person believes that honesty is the best policy in maintaining relationships, but then holds back the truth from a good friend, he might feel cognitive conflict. As a psychological theory, it originates from Leon Festinger’s Cognitive Dissonance Theory, which proposes that humans need internal consistency as surely as we need food and water. Because of this, Festinger says, we become psychologically distressed when we experience discord in our thoughts.
Examples of Cognitive Conflict | Synonym

For atheists, there is no necessary set of values that are normally required by faith in a religious belief. So IMO, they have more freedom to analytically analyze those values in conflict and are more likely to reach a correct answer.

Rational Agnostic

For atheists, there is no necessary set of values that are normally required by faith in a religious belief. So IMO, they have more freedom to analytically analyze those values in conflict and are more likely to reach a correct answer.

I guarantee none of the atheist keyboard warriors of today would be able to hold a candle to Newton, Leibniz, Pascal, Euler, or Descartes in a cognitive/intelligence test, and they were all devout theists. But, as a rule, I tend to agree, the average atheist is probably better at problem solving and logical thinking than the average theist, but I'm guessing the differences are very small.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Atheism is hardly sophisticated enough to be significantly correlated with intelligence.

It is conceivable, though, that the decision to be aware, open or vocal about it might have a bit better correlation.

Shaul

Premium Member
And yet the presumed atheists that did this research couldn’t figure out the difference between association and causality.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I didn't suddenly become smarter when I became an atheist. I've just had more experience with skepticism since then. Even then, not all atheists have a solid grasp of skepticism. People believe or disbelieve for many different reasons, so I don't think intelligence has much causation involved there.

atanu

Premium Member
Can anyone confirm whether the online respondents were unique or some were not bots?

With a beginning like "It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence....", authors began well, I must say.

Audie

Veteran Member
Can anyone confirm whether the online respondents were unique or some were not bots?

With a beginning like "It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence....", authors began well, I must say.

I guarantee none of the atheist keyboard warriors of today would be able to hold a candle to Newton, Leibniz, Pascal, Euler, or Descartes in a cognitive/intelligence test, and they were all devout theists. But, as a rule, I tend to agree, the average atheist is probably better at problem solving and logical thinking than the average theist, but I'm guessing the differences are very small.

Why do you suppose you need to go back so far?

Leibniz 1646
Newton 1643
Pascal 1588
Euler 1707
Descartes 1596

I think that without exception you'd find they all believed in Noahs ark.
They may have all believed in slavery,
Smart guys, but they lived in a sea of ignorance and superstition.

Dont you suppose that if they lived today that they'd have a different view?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence. A prominent hypothesis states that this correlation reflects behavioral biases toward intuitive problem solving, which causes errors when intuition conflicts with reasoning.

fpsyg-08-02191-g002.jpg

Reading further in the study, it is not a difference in intelligence, as much as a bad habit of relying more on intuition in specific situations.

In conclusion, religiosity is associated with poorer reasoning performance during tasks that involve cognitive conflict. These effects may reflect learnt cognitive-behavioral biases toward intuitive decision making, rather than underlying abilities to understand complex logical rules or to maintain information in working memory.
The Negative Relationship between Reasoning and Religiosity Is Underpinned by a Bias for Intuitive Responses Specifically When Intuition and Logic Are in Conflict

Cognitive conflict is the discomfort one feels when his beliefs, values or behaviors contradict one another. For instance, if a person believes that honesty is the best policy in maintaining relationships, but then holds back the truth from a good friend, he might feel cognitive conflict. As a psychological theory, it originates from Leon Festinger’s Cognitive Dissonance Theory, which proposes that humans need internal consistency as surely as we need food and water. Because of this, Festinger says, we become psychologically distressed when we experience discord in our thoughts.

I know quite a few stupid atheists that, even with subtitles are very ignorant.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And yet the presumed atheists that did this research couldn’t figure out the difference between association and causality.

Have you done any online research for 'religiosity associated with intelligence'? Because all the evidence I have seen confirms what this says - that the more intelligent usually are less religious - and for obvious reasons - they tend to look at the evidence and reject that supplied by most religions as being substantive proof of their assertions.

dfnj

fpsyg-08-02191-g002.jpg

Correlation doesn't prove causation. And he claims to be an atheist! Sheeesh!!

PureX

Veteran Member
The huge and glaring question to be asked, here, is how intelligence is being determined. If, for example, "Jeb" grows up on a farm, never leaves his small agricultural community, or advances past 10th grenade in school, while "Vic" grows up in a wealthy suburban enclave, travels to various countries and cities, and goes through college to get a law degree, is "Vic" really smarter that Jeb? Or is he just more worldly? Because to my way of thinking, these are not synonymous. And yet if we were to test both these characters for "intelligence" we would probably assume that having knowledge of the world equates to intelligence. When that is not necessarily the case.

Jumi

Sounds rather simplistic, putting atheism as the opposite of religion, when one can be an atheist with a religion or a theist without one.

Shushersbedamned

For atheists, there is no necessary set of values that are normally required by faith in a religious belief.
There is a 'necessary' set of values coming from the culture they live in and that culture - either they believe themselves to be religious or not - is affected extremely highly by religion.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I used to love debating, and was good at it. As an engineer I also loved math, physics, chemistry and was good in it. Now I love spiritual life, and getting better at it. Less interest in math etc, getting less good in it. Though if I really must, I can do, but not my preference any more.

What is your goal in life, also has to do with it. Religious people have different goals. I would not call that less intelligent, I call it different. I like to see harmony and unity now. And I would not call it "bad habit" if someone trusts and relies on intuition.

Example: There is a technical situation to be solved. Also many people are involved. Before I would score higher on the technical aspect and lower on the interaction with people. Now it's the other way round. Can you call me now less intelligent, because technique is higher valued, or am I more empathic and social? And what is more important? I think both are important. I used to put everything in boxes, now I do it less.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There is a 'necessary' set of values coming from the culture they live in and that culture - either they believe themselves to be religious or not - is affected extremely highly by religion.

You mean atheists? Might be true of atheists that are part of the academic community. Peer pressure to conform to whatever values are accepted in academic circles.

Outside of that, I don't know what values atheists would need to have in common.

Audie

Veteran Member
You mean atheists? Might be true of atheists that are part of the academic community. Peer pressure to conform to whatever values are accepted in academic circles.

Outside of that, I don't know what values atheists would need to have in common.

That is like not knowing what values people who are not interested in
Rhodesian stickball have in common.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I used to love debating, and was good at it. As an engineer I also loved math, physics, chemistry and was good in it. Now I love spiritual life, and getting better at it. Less interest in math etc, getting less good in it. Though if I really must, I can do, but not my preference any more.

What is your goal in life, also has to do with it. Religious people have different goals. I would not call that less intelligent, I call it different. I like to see harmony and unity now. And I would not call it "bad habit" if someone trusts and relies on intuition.

Example: There is a technical situation to be solved. Also many people are involved. Before I would score higher on the technical aspect and lower on the interaction with people. Now it's the other way round. Can you call me now less intelligent, because technique is higher valued, or am I more empathic and social? And what is more important? I think both are important. I used to put everything in boxes, now I do it less.

I still use intuition, you have to when lacking knowledge. Sometimes my "intuition" is right, sometimes wrong. I don't really rely on it for correct answers. I am skeptical of it, so tend to seek verification for it. And, often as not end up making corrections, which I suppose inclines me towards more skepticism.

I think the study is not saying theists are less intelligent. Just trying to understand the difference of outcome in testing. Which is like less than 7 IQ points.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't know why there is so much resistance to this. There is also evidence that those who have a religious belief are happier and tend to live longer. I'm not going to dispute that if the evidence for this truly exists. :oops: