• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are atheists right that the phrase "God Almighty" is a proper name, but simply the word "God" is a c

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
And the Spanish speaking persons' God is known as Dios.
For Italian speaking persons, God is known as Dio and for French speaking persons, God is known as Dieu.

In China, I think they use, 神, pronounced, 'Shén'.

For Samoan speaking persons, I think God is known as Atua.

And of course, in Arabic, I think God is known as Allah.

If you ever get to meet a Czech speaking person, you can always say, 'Bůh bless you!' (God bless you).

But I think they are all, 'Christians'.
I was speaking only of English speakers, but you are absolutey correct that other languages work that way. I don't know their rules for capitalisation though. Thankyou for elaborating on my earlier comment.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Bible refers to the gods of other people and cultures, but it never gives them the credit of actually existing.

I can refer to the Tijuana air force, that doesn mean it actually exists.

Self proclaimed god of other gods. Other religions see theirs god(s) as equal or superior to el, or whatever you want to call your god

You shall have no other gods before me', is that not clear enough?

See also Exodus 34:14 and Psalm 82:1

shmogie

Self proclaimed god of other gods. Other religions see theirs god(s) as equal or superior to el, or whatever you want to call your god

You shall have no other gods before me', is that not clear enough?

See also Exodus 34:14 and Psalm 82:1
Since you have made a clear statement, discarding the muddy one, yes it is clear

ChristineM

Premium Member
Since you have made a clear statement, discarding the muddy one, yes it is clear

Yes very clear, of all the others, which your god admits, he is the egotist.. right?

Which of the thousands of claimed gods is the muddy one?

Perhaps Offler, the crocodile god? Look it up.

shmogie

Yes very clear, of all the others, which your god admits, he is the egotist.. right?

Which of the thousands of claimed gods is the muddy one?

Perhaps Offler, the crocodile god? Look it up.
No, he is the only one that really exists

shmogie

Research has lead me to believe that the bible is nothing more than irrational, arbitrary, and unsubstantiated nonsense that ancient and primitive savages pulled from their ***.
All the worse for you. You will know for sure in the end, I believe

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, he is the only one that really exists

And i know the great goddess of things that get stuck in drawers, the mighty Anoia really exists. There is far more physical evidence of things getting stuck in draws than universes being created by god magic.

Maqsood

It's not an argument I've ever heard. But if they do indeed say that, I'd say they're wrong and right - it's a title and often functions as a name, much like the President or the Queen or the Pope.