• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are All Loves Possessive?

Trey of Diamonds

Is every kind of love possessive? Why or why not?

Define possessive in the context of love. I'm not sure just what it is your asking here.

My first thought was no it isn't because I can love things I don't possess but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Define possessive in the context of love. I'm not sure just what it is your asking here.

My first thought was no it isn't because I can love things I don't possess but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking.

OK. Do all loves make us want to possess the object of our love?

Trey of Diamonds

OK. Do all loves make us want to possess the object of our love?

No. But I might have a more broad definition of love too. I love the place where I grew up. My grandparents have 50 acres in Louisiana and it is next to my grandfathers brothers and sisters acreage, a total of 200 acres of family property. My parents and I have lived on the property and then when Mom and Dad where working overseas, I spent a few years living with my grandparents there. I truely love this little piece of land and the people who live on it. My grandparents house holds many very special memories for me and it could never be replaced.

But I have no desire at all to possess this place. My Grandmother, cousins and my brother are currently living on the property and I don't feel jealous of them. The fact that the place is there for me to visit and in my memories is more than enough.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm sure there will people who say that "true love wouldn't want to possess", but are we capable of this "true love" that everyone praises?

I'm thinking of romantic love. We may not want to possess that person, like a slave, but I at least want love in return; I want to possess their love.

As for brotherly love, the agape of lore, I'm not sure if that sort of love has the passion that romantic love has, in practice, and thus the desire to possess is less. Actually, I'm not quite sure what there would be to possess in agape sort of love. The whole point of it is selflessness. Perhaps it is not truly love at all, but something entirely else.

Nanda

Polyanna
Nope. My love for my partners is not possessive. :) Nor my friends.

Last edited: