• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Appeasing the gods

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have nightmares every night almost. Last night it was just the worse. I am killed in my dreams several times a week. I never know I'm dreaming so the emotions I feel are those as of I was being killed in real life.

My psychiatrist has me diagnosed with PTSD because of a fall I took as well as my constant nightmares. He put me on nightmare pills but they make my blood pressure too low and I get dizzy so I stopped taking them.

I have several dream catchers but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm going to cleanse my house with sage when I can afford it.

I think I need to appease the god of dreams. How do you appease the gods? I'm rather desperate.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Have you looked into lucid dreaming? Then you could change the nightmares. That's what my therapist suggests he tells me to change my nightmares. I don't know how to lucid dream tho.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Firstly my advice would be (unless you are a member of indigenous American Tribes) to avoid using dreamcatchers and smoke cleansing with sage specifically. Not that they are dangerous, but that colonization never breeds good results.

As for the dreams themselves, I would first try addressing any stress or the PTSD before looking to any sort of divine intervention. Always the simplest solutions first.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Firstly my advice would be (unless you are a member of indigenous American Tribes) to avoid using dreamcatchers and smoke cleansing with sage specifically. Not that they are dangerous, but that colonization never breeds good results.

As for the dreams themselves, I would first try addressing any stress or the PTSD before looking to any sort of divine intervention. Always the simplest solutions first.
Mundane over spiritual first is what ive always heard

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
It might not seem like it now, but if you are experiencing frequent nightmares… then you have been blessed with an incredible gift. Take advantage of it! Do something great with it!

My favorite artist- besides myself- is Leonardo DaVinci. My other favorite artist is HR Giger… and he is someone who like you suffered from frequent nightmares. They were a driving force in his artwork:
A6BF4C95-79BA-40B0-892A-F3AC8BB287D2.jpeg

675A1FC7-8690-4A9E-A3C3-54C1720EEA77.jpeg

F37C640C-CB96-4A33-B9B8-24F05B144ACF.jpeg
81AF1F51-D915-4245-9379-14C2C69A4982.jpeg
D2FFBC7A-23B1-4CDF-BB1E-F337CB6F2675.jpeg
4FFF6258-089E-47FE-B06D-5D03EA073C0E.jpeg

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Have you looked into lucid dreaming? Then you could change the nightmares. That's what my therapist suggests he tells me to change my nightmares. I don't know how to lucid dream tho.
Idk how to either. I'm reading that you should keep a dream journal, but I feel like thatd make me remember my dreams more, which is the point according to google. Since highschool my strategy has been to try to forget the dreams as soon as I wake up, but most mornings it doesn't work. I'm at a loss, maybe I'll try though. Seems like one of those things that will get worse before it gets better

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
It might not seem like it now, but if you are experiencing frequent nightmares… then you have been blessed with an incredible gift. Take advantage of it! Do something great with it!

My favorite artist- besides myself- is Leonardo DaVinci. My other favorite artist is HR Giger… and he is someone who like you suffered from frequent nightmares. They were a driving force in his artwork:
View attachment 70323
View attachment 70329
View attachment 70325 View attachment 70326 View attachment 70327 View attachment 70328
Perhaps perhaps. I know people in the past used dreams as a divination tactic. If it has utility, I would like to discover it

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I have nightmares every night almost. Last night it was just the worse. I am killed in my dreams several times a week. I never know I'm dreaming so the emotions I feel are those as of I was being killed in real life.

My psychiatrist has me diagnosed with PTSD because of a fall I took as well as my constant nightmares. He put me on nightmare pills but they make my blood pressure too low and I get dizzy so I stopped taking them.

I have several dream catchers but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm going to cleanse my house with sage when I can afford it.

I think I need to appease the god of dreams. How do you appease the gods? I'm rather desperate.

I use dreamcatchers and I smudge my house with sage, but I learned how to do so from an old friend who has since passed away. She was a tribal elder of the Shoshone and a spiritual mentor. For what it's worth, I oppose appeasing any deities. I feel this way because I've tried to appease God for most of my life to no avail. To be honest, I don't want or need any deities trying to control me or my life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Traditions will vary on how these matters are addressed, but it is worth taking a moment to consider who the gods are and how humans relate to them.

Generally speaking, a common lesson that emerges from polytheist theologies is that the gods concern themselves with many different peoples, only one of which is humans. That is, while humans in our culture tend to think of themselves as the center of everything, it is a mistake to assume that humans (especially you as an individual) are the center of the gods' attention. Some of devotional polytheism entails getting the attention of the gods, who otherwise would not be paying attention, to develop relationships with them. Some if it is also about listening and learning discernment to know when we are being attention to, or are called to serve. Some of it is about learning to show proper respect or staying out of something's way. Just like human-human relationships, it's complicated. But if you get human-human relationships, the same approach generally works with the gods.

With that in mind, what does appealing to the gods look like? Introduce yourself. Spend time getting to know the other person. Be cautious with assumptions, be open-minded, willing to learn, and know you will sometimes make mistakes. Leave an offering, just to be nice and polite. It could be an incense that feels right, spilling out a bottle of wine, a devotional reading. With a relationship built, you might be given guidance and favor. Sometimes, some say often, this comes with a cost. Reciprocity and all that. The gods are not vending machines; they've got their own stuff to do. I can't say magic fix-its never happen, but it is rare and typically the devotee is expected to do some actual work.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Some of it is about learning to show proper respect or staying out of something's way.
I am a huge proponent of this especially. Heavy on the "We're not the Most Special in all of existence", but also learning what healthy respect and fear is. When a gentle thunderstorm comes through, I honor Thor and show respect, but I know he's not there for me. And when it's really storming out, dangerously so, I know it's best to hunker down and just stay out of the way.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

In my tradition, you would appease the Gods through a fire sacrifice. Basically a ritual in which offerings to the gods are burned.

Smudging isn't a terrible idea, but use something other then Sage. Juniper is a good choice.

Now. As for the nightmares. Lucid dreaming may honestly be if benefit to you here. It helped me immensely. Start by journaling as much of your dreams as you can remember each night.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
In my tradition (Hellenic reconstructionism), the gods' favor is sought via kharis (reciprocity) by making offerings. Similarly was/is done in Roman polytheism and in Latin kharis translates to do ut des ("I give so you might give").

It will help to understand the ancient Greek views on dreams if intending to address Hellenic gods:

Dreams In Ancient Greek Medicine
Dreams & Prophecy in Ancient Greece
Dream incubation: ancient techniques of dream influence (PDF)

The Oneroi (Latin: Somnia) are the gods of dreams (see also Obscure Gods: Oneiroi). Specific to nightmares is Epiales, the personification of nightmares. Traditional interaction with the gods is structured with some differences in how one makes offerings per the category of gods; though all of the aforementioned offerings are applicable regardless of which category is being addressed at the time. Generally, though, it's essential to be clean in body and mind before seeking their attention: bathe beforehand, have a clean mouth, and have on fresh clean clothes. Likewise, the area you are going to make your offerings in should be clean.

There are various types of offerings such as prayers, libations, foods, incense, and votives (objects). Once something is offered to the gods, it becomes their property and is not to be used by anyone (i.e. votives). With chthonic (underworld) gods like the Oneiroi, you also do not partake of any of the foods or libations offered, the entirety is to be given and then disposed of (buried is preferable). "Entirety" means the portion itself. E.g., if you're offering bread, offer an entire slice, it doesn't mean the whole loaf it's sliced from.

Hildeburh

Interesting. I also have a parasomnia, mine is related to sleep paralysis. I am in a waking state but paralysed I feel a presence and a weight on my chest trying to suffocate me, it's terrifying. In pre-Christian old English this entity was referred to as the mære, which is the origin of the modern english word nightmare. I combine pre-Christian and modern remedies to deal with my disorder. I also have an element of PTSD from childhood trauma.

According to Old English literature the amulet for warding off the mære is a hagstone or a stone with a naturally occurring hole through it. Also herbal warding would have been done with mugwort which in Old English folklore was considered the mightiest of herbs. I have a hagstone next to my bed, grow mugwort in my garden and do a monthly smoking of my bedroom with mugwort whilst reciting The Nine Herbs Charm.

Sleep disorders are complex and require a multidisciplinary approach but I find that my pagan beliefs help me a great deal in coping with my parasomnia.