• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apostacism

Ostronomos

When were the earliest writings on apostacism? Were they in Biblical times? Or during the renaissance and middle ages in the 4th century a.d. ?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Could you first give us the definition of that term you are using?
I am not sure if this is what he means:

apostolicism
the condition of adhering to the evangelical doctrine of sanctification and to practicing such rites as healing and foot washing; following the teachings of the twelve apostles. — apostolic, n. — apostolical, adj.

@Ostronomos , you can ask a moderator for help in changing your thread title. It would help avoid confusion.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When were the earliest writings on apostacism? Were they in Biblical times? Or during the renaissance and middle ages in the 4th century a.d. ?
I'd guess you were talking about APOSTASY ─ in the early church, the abandonment of / defection from Christianity, and in some contexts hard to distinguish from BLASPHEMER. In the early days, apostasy, fornication and blasphemy were held to be the three unpardonable sins. (Huh!)

By the 16th century, perhaps earlier, in technical talk it can refer to abandonment of the faith (its first sense); a cleric's abandoning holy orders; or a monk or nun's abandoning the religious life.

I can't find a more precise timing for when the term was first used than 'the early church'.

Last edited: