• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apocalypse that brings Peace

Nostradamus, the Mayan Calender and Edgar Cayce seem to predict that 2012 is a day of great destruction. Upon doing further research NASA stated that solar flares will be at their highest peak. Also, NASA stated that the earth's magnetic poles are overdue to switch, which could possible occur during the solar flare kind of like a perfect storm. What are your thoughts about whether 2012 is the Apocalypse that the old testament discusses (which it states that there is a period of great fire and suffering)?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Nostradamus, the Mayan Calender and Edgar Cayce seem to predict that 2012 is a day of great destruction. Upon doing further research NASA stated that solar flares will be at their highest peak. Also, NASA stated that the earth's magnetic poles are overdue to switch, which could possible occur during the solar flare kind of like a perfect storm. What are your thoughts about whether 2012 is the Apocalypse that the old testament discusses (which it states that there is a period of great fire and suffering)?

Been watching the History Channel, eh?

Everybody remember when the history channel actually played shows about history? Every other show now seems to be on big foot, jesus, nostradamus, or aliens - they should just rename it the sci-fi channel.

well we might lose the internet for a couple hours wich would be the end of the world for some

Nostradamus, the Mayan Calender and Edgar Cayce seem to predict that 2012 is a day of great destruction.

Nostradamus, yes, a highly reliable predictor of things only after they happen. Do you have the verse handy?

Mayan Calendar - At the risk of quoting wiki, "University of Florida astronomer Susan Milbrath, author of Star Gods of the Maya, is among those who have accused 2012 doomsday proponents of exploiting Mayan culture to advance political or personal agendas.[17] Moreover, since the nucleus of the Milky Way cannot be identified without high-powered telescopes, the Mayans could not have been aware of its location.[18] The alignment in question takes place over a 36-year period, corresponding to the diameter of the sun, with the most precise convergence having already occurred without incident in 1998."

Edgar Cayce - 2012 predictions review: Edgar Cayce on 2012
"Cayce never pinpointed directly to December 2012."

Upon doing further research NASA stated that solar flares will be at their highest peak.
Yes they will, but... they also were back in 2000 too. NASA says 2011 OR 2012.
Space Weather
"The most serious effects on human activity occur during major geomagnetic storms. It is now understood that the major geomagnetic storms are induced by coronal mass ejections (CMEs). Coronal mass ejections are usually associated with flares, but sometimes no flare is observed when they occur. Like flares, CMEs are more frequent during the active phase of the Sun's approximately 11 year cycle. The last maximum in solar activity was in the year 2000. The next maximum is expected to occur in late 2011 or in 2012."

Also, NASA stated that the earth's magnetic poles are overdue to switch, which could possible occur during the solar flare kind of like a perfect storm.
They did? Hmm. NASA - Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field
"Sometimes the field completely flips. The north and the south poles swap places. Such reversals, recorded in the magnetism of ancient rocks, are unpredictable. They come at irregular intervals averaging about 300,000 years; the last one was 780,000 years ago. Are we overdue for another? No one knows."

It doesn't happen in an instant... or even a year.

What are your thoughts about whether 2012 is the Apocalypse that the old testament discusses (which it states that there is a period of great fire and suffering)?
The great thing about humanity, is we can always find great fire and suffering, in any age we look.

If I had the time I could list hundreds of specific years people thought the world would end....... hundreds! Including immediately after Jesus' ascension.

I'd not worry about it if I were you. :tigger:

idea

Question Everything
36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
(New Testament | Matthew 24:36)

So, no one knows the day or hour... does not say anything about not knowing the year though :) I'm more inclined to go with Isaac Newton's timeline predicting the year 2060 ish or later. There are still a few things that have to happen first ;)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

It fun to study the unusual and being familar with it, I can say Neither Nostradamus the Mayans or Edgar Cayce predict 2012 is the day of great destruction. I do not follow Nasa but they have problems with accuracy as well.

The Mayan's may be the closest to the date. They are not saying yet, they are waiting for a sign to reveal the proper date. The date set has been interpeted by scientists studing there art work and libraries. They predict an energy cycle change not death and destruction but change and change typically means hardship because we don't like it.

Edgar Cayce and Nostrodamus are interpeted every destrution cycle to have a date that aligns with it because there prophesies are always vague. They are only right after the event occurs they have never been right before. That may be a good thing for 2012

The Mayan's had a great understanding of the cosmos. There elders will be revealing supposly sometime soon. You may want to listen to them. They are predicting an energy change coming from the center of the universe. They don't really explain what it is though.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nostradamus, the Mayan Calender and Edgar Cayce seem to predict that 2012 is a day of great destruction.
Nostradamus also predicted that aliens would make their presence known to the world with three consecutive days of landings in Europe. For this to happen, there must still be a Europe and people living in it. This means one of two things:

- Nostradamus is an accurate predictor of the future. The Earth will not be destroyed until some time after the aliens land.

- Nostradamus got at least some stuff wrong. We don't need to pay any more heed to his supposed predictions about the world coming to an end than we do the ones about alien landings.

Upon doing further research NASA stated that solar flares will be at their highest peak.
Solar flare activity goes through 11-year cycles. Its peak for this cycle will probably be around 2012, but its magnitude is forecast to be about the same as the peaks in the 80s and 90s, and significantly less than the peak in the late 50s.

Also, NASA stated that the earth's magnetic poles are overdue to switch, which could possible occur during the solar flare kind of like a perfect storm.
"Overdue" is a misassessment. It's been about 780,000 years since the last geomagnetic reversal; this is longer than average, but when we look at the geologic record we see that the length of time between reversals has varied between fifty thousand and tens of millions of years.

What are your thoughts about whether 2012 is the Apocalypse that the old testament discusses (which it states that there is a period of great fire and suffering)?
I think that if I believed in the Bible to the point that I accepted its claim that an Apocalypse was coming, I'd also accept its claim that nobody can predict just when it will come.

Druswid

Ah, those crazy old end of the world prophecies... that were predicted by frauds or people who just wanted attention. And what's this junk about the Mayan calendar ending in 2012? Here's a question for you all: what happens at the end of our modern calendar, on December 31st? It goes right back to the beginning again. So the Mayans thought they'd be around for a while, or something. But the end of a calendar as "end of the world" is just plain silly.

As for the world being destroyed, well, it takes a lot to destroy a planet. Human civilization, sure, that could happen any number of possible ways, whether it be by nuclear holocaust, continent-affecting plagues, drastic food and fresh water loss, sea levels eventually rising high enough to cover livable land masses, or a comet or meteor slamming into the earth at high velocity causing mass extinctions. Now, considering that none of those occur, I refuse to believe that the world will end by any kind of acts of divinity. For that matter, destroying an entire planet full of life, human and non-human alike is NOT divine, it's just a crap deal, folks. And are there really THAT MANY people dissatisfied with life on earth that they really, really want civilization to end? That's extraordinarily selfish and/or stupid. Not that humans, as a general rule, are capable about thinking of that many others besides themselves, so there you go. And... I think that's the end of my spiel. Make of it what you will.

i never asked do you think that the world will be destroyed hahaha i wanted to hear if people think a great change is coming soon to better humanity (or worse whatever you like to discuss)

I think most of us answered that no, there is nothing special about the year 2012.

Did you all know that due to our messed-up rotation & revolution and method of keeping calendar, the leap year is celebrated at a century change, only every 400 years? All of us have only lived through one century change (2000) which happened to be one of those leap years, so we didn't know any different. Just a fun fact!:frog:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ah, those crazy old end of the world prophecies... that were predicted by frauds or people who just wanted attention. And what's this junk about the Mayan calendar ending in 2012? Here's a question for you all: what happens at the end of our modern calendar, on December 31st? It goes right back to the beginning again. So the Mayans thought they'd be around for a while, or something. But the end of a calendar as "end of the world" is just plain silly.

As for the world being destroyed, well, it takes a lot to destroy a planet. Human civilization, sure, that could happen any number of possible ways, whether it be by nuclear holocaust, continent-affecting plagues, drastic food and fresh water loss, sea levels eventually rising high enough to cover livable land masses, or a comet or meteor slamming into the earth at high velocity causing mass extinctions. Now, considering that none of those occur, I refuse to believe that the world will end by any kind of acts of divinity. For that matter, destroying an entire planet full of life, human and non-human alike is NOT divine, it's just a crap deal, folks. And are there really THAT MANY people dissatisfied with life on earth that they really, really want civilization to end? That's extraordinarily selfish and/or stupid. Not that humans, as a general rule, are capable about thinking of that many others besides themselves, so there you go. And... I think that's the end of my spiel. Make of it what you will.

I just want the apocalypse to happen so I can put quadrapod tires on my shoulders, wear an eye patch, and yell really loud driving my armor plated steambuggy, "GO GO JUICE!!!" :pirate: