• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP African American History will be taught … in a Florida Church.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Florida church to teach banned AP African American Studies course: 'Our way of evangelism'

“Pastor Andy Oliver of Allendale United Methodist Church in St. Petersburg is offering his church as a space to teach AP African American Studies after the state's Department of Education informed the College Board that it was not going to add the course to the state's Course Code Directory.

“We have an important job as Christians to know our history, to know the history of harm specifically that African Americans have experienced in this country," he said. "I lead a congregation that sees it as a central part of our faith to stand with those who are marginalized and oppressed because that's where Jesus always located himself."

Wonderful to see a church standing up for truth. I hope this works out.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Florida church to teach banned AP African American Studies course: 'Our way of evangelism'

“Pastor Andy Oliver of Allendale United Methodist Church in St. Petersburg is offering his church as a space to teach AP African American Studies after the state's Department of Education informed the College Board that it was not going to add the course to the state's Course Code Directory.

“We have an important job as Christians to know our history, to know the history of harm specifically that African Americans have experienced in this country," he said. "I lead a congregation that sees it as a central part of our faith to stand with those who are marginalized and oppressed because that's where Jesus always located himself."

Yes, and this is undoubtedly to counter DeSantis' appeal to both Christian Nationalism and White Nationalism as he's positioning himself as "Trump II".

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

yes... it is a free country. But as another brother that has more melanin said:
Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor on AP Black History Course: ” I Think it’s Trash.”

I am glad that even when lies are spoken as truth, truth still wins out. :) IMHO

pearl

Good for him, hope this is only the first of many.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'm taking the curriculum itself is available on the net?

Churches don't strike me as being able to aquire the format and layout of the course itself, or even if it's accessible via the courses designers.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
yes... it is a free country. But as another brother that has more melanin said:
Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor on AP Black History Course: ” I Think it’s Trash.”

I am glad that even when lies are spoken as truth, truth still wins out. :) IMHO

Citing your link;

“Well frankly I’m against the College Board’s curriculum. I think it’s trash. It’s not African American history. It is ideology. I’ve taught African American history, I’ve structed syllabuses for African American history. I am African American history. And talking about ‘queer’ and ‘feminism’ and all of that for the struggle for freedom and equality and justice has not been no tension with queerness and feminist thought at all.”

I get the distinct feeling, especially given his comments, that his ideas on these things are motivated by political pandering. Why else bring feminism and the LGBT community into the discussion?

Kenny

Premium Member
Citing your link;

“Well frankly I’m against the College Board’s curriculum. I think it’s trash. It’s not African American history. It is ideology. I’ve taught African American history, I’ve structed syllabuses for African American history. I am African American history. And talking about ‘queer’ and ‘feminism’ and all of that for the struggle for freedom and equality and justice has not been no tension with queerness and feminist thought at all.”

I get the distinct feeling, especially given his comments, that his ideas on these things are motivated by political pandering. Why else bring feminism and the LGBT community into the discussion?
Interesting... I don't find it as such. Is it because he is a politician that you automatically assume that he political? Should I assume that because the NAACP is involved it should be considered as "pandering to their supporters"?

No, let's just not make it political.
Black history class revised by College Board after criticism

Apparently they realized they were wrong in trying to push their agenda

of course, one might ask, "Just what is wrong with their curriculum"?

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.47.36 PM.png

It seems to be a comprehensive review.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Interesting... I don't find it as such. Is it because he is a politician that you automatically assume that he political?

Again, to cite your source;

"Florida officials last month issued a chart that said it promoted the idea that modern American society oppresses Black people, was inappropriate, and uses articles by critics of capitalism."

Interesting that they don't want the students to learn about articles written by critics of capitalism, or how America has systematically been structured against black folks from the beginning. Nothing to see, no political motivations here

Should I assume that because the NAACP is involved it should be considered as "pandering to their supporters"?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the NAACP was involved in the creation of this curriculum, or in the opposition to it? What does the NAACP have to do with it?

https://news.yahoo.com/black-history-ap-class-rejected-140632844.html

Let's not make this political? How do I make something political when this posturing is political by it's very nature?

Yah, that's the ticket

Kenny

Premium Member
Again, to cite your source;

"Florida officials last month issued a chart that said it promoted the idea that modern American society oppresses Black people, was inappropriate, and uses articles by critics of capitalism."

Interesting that they don't want the students to learn about articles written by critics of capitalism, or how America has systematically been structured against black folks from the beginning. Nothing to see, no political motivations here

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the NAACP was involved in the creation of this curriculum, or in the opposition to it? What does the NAACP have to do with it?

Let's not make this political? How do I make something political when this posturing is political by it's very nature?

Yah, that's the ticket
The silence on the issues that I noted was very deafening. Maybe if I post it again:

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 1.47.36 PM.png

Orbit

I'm a planet
Interesting... I don't find it as such. Is it because he is a politician that you automatically assume that he political? Should I assume that because the NAACP is involved it should be considered as "pandering to their supporters"?

No, let's just not make it political.
Black history class revised by College Board after criticism

of course, one might ask, "Just what is wrong with their curriculum"?

View attachment 71282

It seems to be a comprehensive review.

I'm a sociologist and I don't see a single thing wrong with that curriculum. Just sayin....what's the fuss?