• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone worried about coronavirus?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
So covid is a little over six and a half times as deadly at the most generous influenza estimate, with global precautions taken which weren't for influenza.
That is what it looks like to me.
Of course, when you point this out to those on social media claiming "the flu is {insert random number here} times more deadly than COVID and we don't shut down for it" they tend to block/ignore/remove you.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That is what it looks like to me.
Of course, when you point this out to those on social media claiming "the flu is {insert random number here} times more deadly than COVID and we don't shut down for it" they tend to block/ignore/remove you.
Honestly the people who are still likening covid to influenza now probably ignore most of the world around them.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Honestly the people who are still likening covid to influenza now probably ignore most of the world around them.
I can understand why. Confirmation bias is a very strong thing. I had it but was lucky. I had a case that was like a bad case of the flu. Nothing more. My coworker that got it was not so lucky. She passed away. We caught it about the same time. Who knows? She may have given it to me or vice versa. It is about a one in a hundred chance of dying with the odds going up as one gets older. I would not willingly take a one out of one hundred chance of dying. Flu is often a tenth of that and that is mostly among the elderly. For younger people that number drops immensely. If a person only knew people like me they might brush it off.

Suave

Simulated character
Heck I am not worried at all!

I just got my first shot of Moderna today. Next shot on June 8th. Already scheduled. And I am a survivor to boot. I tested positive Dec. 1 after going through the worst of it (which for me luckily was not that bad). I was not in a hurry for the vaccine because at first I could not get it due to having the virus too recently. Then I kept getting "no vaccinations available" on line. Finally I decided to talk to a real human being and it was sooooooooooo easy.

By the way, I did not even feel the injection.
I had contracted and carried the SARS-Co'V2 virus in April 2020. Fortunately for me, neither I nor my daughter became sick. However, my ex wife did get somewhat ill, but was able to recover at home. I received my first dose of the Pfizer-BioNtech mRNA C..O.V.I.D.-19 vaccine last month on April 4th and the second dose on April 25th. I had zero adverse reactions to either jab.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can understand why. Confirmation bias is a very strong thing. I had it but was lucky. I had a case that was like a bad case of the flu. Nothing more. My coworker that got it was not so lucky. She passed away. We caught it about the same time. Who knows? She may have given it to me or vice versa. It is about a one in a hundred chance of dying with the odds going up as one gets older. I would not willingly take a one out of one hundred chance of dying. Flu is often a tenth of that and that is mostly among the elderly. For younger people that number drops immensely. If a person only knew people like me they might brush it off.
Sorry for the loss of your coworker. Glad you're still among us.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sorry for the loss of your coworker. Glad you're still among us.

Thank you. Me too. When it hit me the onset seemed sudden so I was wondering if I did get the regular old flu. I had a very high fever. I was wearing a winter coat inside my house with the heat turned up to 75. Pretty bad body aches too brought on by the high fever. But that was as far as it got. Oh and before I realized that I was sick very strong reaction to the cold air outside. It was not pretty, hacking up a ton of mucus for some odd reason I decided it was not a good idea to go to the store. That may have save a few lives. Sometimes when I go out in the cold my body reacts temporarily that way but not that strong. Cold weather asthma. I turned around and headed home. Three or four days later and I was over the worst of it. I went into work, I think I still had a slight fever since a forehead scan thermometer read 98.5 and those are always about a degree low. Told them that I had been ill. I had to wait outside in the cold while they ran my Covid test. A half hour later I was headed back home. Positive.

Suave

Simulated character
Scientists estimate there are over 500,000 unknown viruses humans could contract, one of them causing Disease X. This might be as deadly as rabies, as contagious as the measles, and having a 10 day incubation period that would infect almost everybody before anybody would exhibit any symptoms. Such a pandemic would be an existential treat to human civilization. I am very concerned about there being a highly fatal and infectious disease X.

Suave

Simulated character
Thank you. Me too. When it hit me the onset seemed sudden so I was wondering if I did get the regular old flu. I had a very high fever. I was wearing a winter coat inside my house with the heat turned up to 75. Pretty bad body aches too brought on by the high fever. But that was as far as it got. Oh and before I realized that I was sick very strong reaction to the cold air outside. It was not pretty, hacking up a ton of mucus for some odd reason I decided it was not a good idea to go to the store. That may have save a few lives. Sometimes when I go out in the cold my body reacts temporarily that way but not that strong. Cold weather asthma. I turned around and headed home. Three or four days later and I was over the worst of it. I went into work, I think I still had a slight fever since a forehead scan thermometer read 98.5 and those are always about a degree low. Told them that I had been ill. I had to wait outside in the cold while they ran my Covid test. A half hour later I was headed back home. Positive.
You got off easy compared to my ex, she had a persistent cough lasting over a week. She also had the chills, body aches, sore throat, head ache difficulty breathing, a mild grade fever, and she lost her appetite as well as her sense of taste. She blamed me for contaminating her, despite the fact I did not know I had C.O.V.I.D.-19 when I was gathering my belongings out of the house.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You got off easy compared to my ex, she had a persistent cough lasting over a week. She also had the chills, body aches, sore throat, head ache difficulty breathing, a mild grade fever, and she lost her appetite as well as her sense of taste. She blamed me for contaminating her, despite the fact I did not know I had C.O.V.I.D.-19 when I was gathering my belongings out of the house.
Ooh, no! In the middle of a breakup? Ow.. I know that I was lucky. One of the reasons that I wanted to get vaccinated for sure. My natural immunity might from it might not be as high as someone that had a bad case. I would not know.