• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

anyone quit smoking?

.lava

Veteran Member
hi, i hope this is the right place to send this.

i wonder if anyone quited smoking.
if you did, please tell me how it went, what physical stuff you had like,
did you have any muscle aches?
did you feel tired by doing nothing?

thank you very much

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I quit smoking for two years. I quit cold turkey. Initially my husband and I were trying to conceive, so I didn't smoke while trying...didn't smoke during the pregnancy and didn't smoke for a full year afterwards.

The first three or four weeks were the hardest for me. It gets easier but I never stopped wanting a cigarette. I've always enjoyed smoking.
When I started working again, I started to smoke again. For me, it's something that I enjoy and use as a crutch when I'm stressed. I know the heath risks involved but it's still one of those vices that I choose to cling to.

I didn't have any muscle aches but when I gave it up...there was this feeling of dissatisfaction when I didn't have a cigarette.

I know my post isn't super helpful but these have been my experiences. It's not easy but if you WANT to give it up...you CAN. I could have left my nasty habit behind me, had I wanted to.

.lava

Veteran Member
oh no, please say everything about it.

God knows i like smoking yet i am completely tired of being addicted to it. the idea of addiction makes me sick. it is Ramadan now so i go fasting. naturally i donot smoke whole day. i am trying to smoke less and less. i just feel lazy, tired and my legs and arms hurt little.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
lava, I wish you the best of luck while you try to kick the habit.

I think different coping methods work differently for different people. If you're comfy with smoking less and less, maybe a patch would work? Slowly withdrawal from the nicotene.

I'm very anxious when I don't smoke. When I quit...I was very nervous the first few weeks.

.lava

Veteran Member
lava, I wish you the best of luck while you try to kick the habit.

I think different coping methods work differently for different people. If you're comfy with smoking less and less, maybe a patch would work? Slowly withdrawal from the nicotene.

I'm very anxious when I don't smoke. When I quit...I was very nervous the first few weeks.

i was very aggressive when i stopped smoking in a sudden. for goodness of my family i decided to keep it going. i believe i donot have right to behaive ugly just because i am not smoking. now it is different. i am alone.

hopefully i would stop.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I quit cold turkey.

Although I'd like one every now and then, I don't need them

I had no side-effect from quitting. I was as fine without them as I was with them

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I quit for maybe amonth, then my job was a job straight from the deepest pits of hell and I picked up smoking again.
I am in the process of quitting again.
Really, it comes down to if you really want to quit or not. If you truly want to quit, quitting will not be that difficult. If you enjoy smoking and try to quit, then quitting will be a hellish experience.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I quit 42 years ago... I am still an addict but I don't crave any more..
If I had Just one I would be off again.
I stopped cold. No other way works.
I felt weak and semi ill for weeks. it just slowly got better.
Give up when you know you are going to be distracted with work or something.

PureX

Veteran Member
I quit 12 years ago.

Two things helped - 1. don't keep renegociating the decision. Once you quit, tell yourself it's DONE. The decision has been made and there's no turning back on it. If you keep re-deciding if you want to quit or not, sooner or later you will decide not to, and all it takes is one cigarette to destroy all the progress you've made. 2. Make the difficulty of quitting work FOR you. Feel that discomfort, focus on it, and use it to convince yourself that you NEVER want to have to go through this again! I'm a stubborn person, and I found that I could use that stubbornness to help me quit. No matter how badly I wanted to smoke, my tendancy toward defiance would help me defy that urge. For once in my life this hard head of mine could be useful. *smile*

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I quit 12 years ago.

Two things helped - 1. don't keep renegociating the decision. Once you quit, tell yourself it's DONE. The decision has been made and there's no turning back on it. If you keep re-deciding if you want to quit or not, sooner or later you will decide not to, and all it takes is one cigarette to destroy all the progress you've made. 2. Make the difficulty of quitting work FOR you. Feel that discomfort, focus on it, and use it to convince yourself that you NEVER want to have to go through this again! I'm a stubborn person, and I found that I could use that stubbornness to help me quit. No matter how badly I wanted to smoke, my tendancy toward defiance would help me defy that urge. For once in my life this hard head of mine could be useful. *smile*

That is about the most no-nonsense quitting advice I have ever heard. Thanks man.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I smoked over a pack a day for over 6 years. I quit cold turkey, because it was time for me to quit. I didn't smoke for over 7 years.... Then I started again, but I don't always smoke. I do when I feel like it, but I'll go weeks or months without....

I'll say this:

No amount of medication or self-help tapes will help you if you aren't ready to quit. When you are ready to quit, you will. No medication will help you with that.... it may help your body's chemical withdrawls, but not you. If you quit for 48 hours (give or take) it is out of your body's system.... then it is all mental.

So, why bother with medication and patches that last for months? Do you need to be weaned like a baby? If you truly want to quit, you can't handle 2 days of moodiness, etc???? After that, it is on you......

When you want to quit, you will..... not till then. If you wish to quit, then do so! If you don't wish to, don't talk about it like you are going to..... someday, maybe..... ehhhhh :sleep::help:

Quit when you are ready, and don't waste money on stuff that won't help you..... it just prolongs your body's "need" (more like want/desire) for nicotine.